The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-07-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I didn't mention it, but I already own a Monoprice like the one you listed. I never really though of it as a clean amp though. Interesting thoughts!
Since you already have the Monoprice, pop for the Cannabis Rex (a very popular mod regardless of style) and some top-shelf tubes - I'm using these in my Bugera V22 (BTW your amp takes the same complement) and they've served me well for the last 10+ years with no signs of quitting:

https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v22-premium-package

The power tubes in particular are stronger-sounding than the factory stuff - FYI they're pre-Glasnost Soviet mil-spec (equivalent to the JAN tubes the Fender guys would kill for), and in my application sound more like a big-bottle (6L6, 7027, 6CA7) American tube - and the speaker has an efficiency rating of ~102dB which, in addition to the rounder, mellower tone, offers additional clean headroom since the power tubes aren't working as hard to produce a given volume level...
Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Since you already have the Monoprice, pop for the Cannabis Rex (a very popular mod regardless of style) and some top-shelf tubes - I'm using these in my Bugera V22 (BTW your amp takes the same complement) and they've served me well for the last 10+ years with no signs of quitting:

https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v22-premium-package

The power tubes in particular are stronger-sounding than the factory stuff - FYI they're pre-Glasnost Soviet mil-spec (equivalent to the JAN tubes the Fender guys would kill for), and in my application sound more like a big-bottle (6L6, 7027, 6CA7) American tube - and the speaker has an efficiency rating of ~102dB which, in addition to the rounder, mellower tone, offers additional clean headroom since the power tubes aren't working as hard to produce a given volume level...
Steve, I bought some premium tubes ($180) for the Monoprice a while back. Attached is the receipt showing what I bought. I know very little about all of this. Are these good enough?

Could you point me toward the Cannabis Rex speaker you mentioned?Screenshot_20210107-201948_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg
Old 01-07-2021, 10:54 PM

Those are the exact tubes I have in my Bugera (including the matched triodes); have your tech do a bias job - very important for both tone and tube life - and you're good to go...

Here's the Cannabis Rex:

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/sp...l=Cannabis_Rex
Old 01-07-2021, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Those are the exact tubes I have in my Bugera (including the matched triodes); have your tech do a bias job - very important for both tone and tube life - and you're good to go...

Here's the Cannabis Rex:

Thanks! I just ordered the speaker and will have the tech install it along with a bias job. I appreciate the help!
Old 01-08-2021, 09:30 AM

Tell him/her that you're looking primarily for a jazz tone - FYI there are subtle tricks (very subtle, and none of which are DIY in nature) that can be played with bias current - here's a bit of background:

https://valvetubeguitaramps.com/the-...ting-the-bias/

I assume you already know that the Preferred Series EL84's come with a numerical rating (the higher the number, the higher the potential headroom and the slower the breakup); since the Monoprice is sold as a "rock" amp (which BTW allows the manufacturer to use weaker/lower-quality tubes, for quicker power-tube breakup - not to mention lower production costs ) those Russian mil-spec tone bottles will likely need a bit of massaging (definitely a bias adjustment, possibly replacement of a couple of components to allow fine-tuning) to get the tone you're after. Not to worry - FYI this is not an uncommon procedure for tube amps - and when you're done you should have a lightweight little tone box that'll be an old-school complement to your Eastman...
Old 01-09-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Roland JC22?
Nice amps and reasonably priced. The JC22 is very lightweight and easy to get to the gig. Not a super loud amp like the JC120 or JC90 but still a nice, clean sounding amp; great for small combos.

JC's have a brighter tone compared to classic solid state jazz guitar amps like the Polytone or more modern Henriksen amps. You can certainly get a "jazz tone" but I think it lends itself to a broader range of styles.

JC's typically had a low level hiss (loudest in the 120). Certainly not noticeable when you're playing but in between tunes, very noticeable. With the JC22, the hiss is gone.

As for other solid state "jazz" amps, I'm a huge fan of Acoustic Image. I pair my Clarus 2R with a Raezer's Edge Twin 8 (2 x Eminence Alpha 8a drivers). The speakers are wired in parallel so you get 400 watts of clean power.

I also have Polytones (Megabrute and Minibrute II), Henriksen (Bud), Roland JC22 and a Quilter (101R). All capable of producing a "jazz" tone to varying degrees, in my opinion.

Btw, your Fender PRRI is a wonderful amp, very capable of producing clean, warm jazz tones. Not as much clean headroom as a nice solid state amp, but still no slouch.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:59 AM

I have a Polytone Teenybrute (the one with the 10" speaker) bass amp (no distortion control, just volume treble and bass) with a JBL speaker. It's been fine for 30 years. Bought it used from a Toronto main line jazz player. Keys are always going to be the speaker, the tone stack, and the clean headroom. A lot of guitar amps are oriented towards distortion way too early, and you can't get clean volume out of them. Solid state amps, including the new high powered D class amps, can get very high power out of a small package, and clean. At that point it's down to the tone stack, the midrange boost/cut, and how it balances with your pickup on your guitar.

I also have an Ampeg B15 speaker cabinet, the original portaflex 15" bass cabinet, that sounds amazing with any amp I've used it with. The speaker and cabinet can colour the sound more than anything else.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Here's the Cannabis Rex:

Earlier you said you’d used a DR w/JBLs. That’s been part of my go-to setup for a while, but I’m looking at the CR for a little more versatility. Could you characterize the difference you hear?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2021, 01:01 PM

FWIW I never owned the Deluxe/JBL combo; I heard it at an affair back in the '70s, and I was so impressed (I love the Johnny Smith Gibsons, and you don't see too many - much less the two-pickup version - on the local club/catering-hall circuit) with the combination that I still remember how it sounded almost 50 years later: sweet, full, well-defined, with a touch of high-end sparkle that kept things from getting thuddy/muddy (as full-size archtops can often do) and zero cone breakup - to my ears the ultimate tube-powered jazz amp, and a perfect match for the Johnny Smith...

The main reason I suggested the Cannabis Rex to the OP is that he's looking to warm up the tone of a British-voiced, EL84-powered "rock" amp - something which, speaking as the (highly satisfied) owner of a Bugera V22 loaded with the "big-brother" Swamp Thang (similar voicing to the CR but much "bigger" sounding - my V22 sounds more like a 2x12" - but also significantly heavier, and I doubt the lightly-built Monoprice could handle the weight) it will do admirably, taming the inherent brashness of the EL84 power tubes (not an issue with your 6V6's); FYI I had a JBL E-120 in my 7591-powered '64 Ampeg Rocket back in the '70s - inspired by the JS/DR combination mentioned above - which sounded wonderful for cleaner styles (jazz, country, soft rock) but was a real boat anchor to carry (added at least 15 pounds to the total weight). If you're going to use it solely as a jazz amp and you're looking for a slightly mellower tonality (not to mention a significant weight savings) the Cannabis Rex might be a good choice; that said, as long as you can handle the ~60 lb. bulk of the DR/JBL IME you're not going to find a finer (and more versatile, in the long run) mid-powered combo...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 01-10-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

The speaker arrived today. Looking forward to getting it installed and the tubes biased.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:39 PM

Speaker installation is a DIY if you want to get a jump on things - just make sure you get the polarity right; FYI it's a good idea to get a head start on breaking it in anyway before you replace the tubes - this way you can focus on one variable at a time when evaluating the contribution each change makes to your tone, not to mention improving your tone right now...
Old 01-11-2021, 12:27 AM

Henriksen the bud ten is really good for jazz tone ^^

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 01-13-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I dropped off the amp today. It'll probably be a few weeks before I see it again.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I dropped off the amp today. It'll probably be a few weeks before I see it again.
If you need something to keep you busy in the meantime, work on this:

FYI I had the pleasure of taking lessons from Jack, when I was a 10-year old kid and he was a teenage phenom teaching at the local music school - one heluva player then as now, and a wonderful teacher with a real passion for everything guitar...
Old 01-12-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
FWIW I never owned the Deluxe/JBL combo; I heard it at an affair back in the '70s, and I was so impressed (I love the Johnny Smith Gibsons, and you don't see too many - much less the two-pickup version - on the local club/catering-hall circuit) with the combination that I still remember how it sounded almost 50 years later: sweet, full, well-defined, with a touch of high-end sparkle that kept things from getting thuddy/muddy (as full-size archtops can often do) and zero cone breakup - to my ears the ultimate tube-powered jazz amp, and a perfect match for the Johnny Smith...

The main reason I suggested the Cannabis Rex to the OP is that he's looking to warm up the tone of a British-voiced, EL84-powered "rock" amp - something which, speaking as the (highly satisfied) owner of a Bugera V22 loaded with the "big-brother" Swamp Thang (similar voicing to the CR but much "bigger" sounding - my V22 sounds more like a 2x12" - but also significantly heavier, and I doubt the lightly-built Monoprice could handle the weight) it will do admirably, taming the inherent brashness of the EL84 power tubes (not an issue with your 6V6's); FYI I had a JBL E-120 in my 7591-powered '64 Ampeg Rocket back in the '70s - inspired by the JS/DR combination mentioned above - which sounded wonderful for cleaner styles (jazz, country, soft rock) but was a real boat anchor to carry (added at least 15 pounds to the total weight). If you're going to use it solely as a jazz amp and you're looking for a slightly mellower tonality (not to mention a significant weight savings) the Cannabis Rex might be a good choice; that said, as long as you can handle the ~60 lb. bulk of the DR/JBL IME you're not going to find a finer (and more versatile, in the long run) mid-powered combo...

Thanks! I like the JBL quite a lot, but as you note it’s heavy. I’m always looking for a lighter rig, but it would be hard to sound better than it does now....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops