The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-14-2021, 03:34 AM

Got a little binding work done this week, not my favorite thing to do.

Used this Dremel set up with a dimmer to lower speed to cut a channel for the veneer strips rather an cut a rabbitt with binding machine. More of a see if it will work kind of thing. A little hard on the nerves. A few pics...back didn't come out as clean as the front, maybe some sanding and finish will help.

Bruce,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg binding cuts19852013.jpg (23.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg binding cuts19852015.jpg (30.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg binding cuts19852019.jpg (29.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:09 AM

I don't understand. You routed a purfling channel after binding was installed; or, you routed a purfling ledge then a binding ledge?

If the former, you won't be able to get a tight fit. Any gaps probably require a total binding/purfling redo or color matched gap filling.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:57 PM

I cut the channel after the bindings were installed. I had some gaps and cutting a channel this way cleaned up the gaps. I was just going to do a simple binding but didn't do a great job installing them thus the attempt to clean them up.

I need to get better at the binding thing so I don't have to come up with ways to clean up a screwup.

Bruce,
Old 02-16-2021, 06:23 PM

It can be one of the harder things to get right. Not a lot of room for error.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:18 PM

Haven't posted in awhile, been in finishing hell, hard to escape from.

Had to run a few errands yesterday and found myself passing by Crosscut Hardwoods/Seattle. I stopped in to see if they had anything interesting(1st mistake), found a nice selection of q-sawn Padauk(2nd mistake.) I have a hard time resisting a nice piece of wood. Ended up with 2 nice Padauks and 2 fair SPCs, must be some kind of addiction thing. Did a few rough cuts to get the stuff down to workable sizes and will start the resaw this week. Not sure what the yield will be, depends on how good my resaw skills are. A few pics....The stuff looks a lot better than it photoed, really nice quatering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new pad boards19852014.jpg (25.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg new pad boards19852016.jpg (27.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg new pad boards19852015.jpg (24.4 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by BEJ; 03-20-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
...found a nice selection of q-sawn Padauk
My main guitar, a classical I made in 1988, has padauk back and sides. A steel string that I'm taking forever to finish has padauk back, sides, neck and fingerboard.

Its a nice wood that can make a very nice guitar. Large pores, though, that are "fun" to fill.

Left in the sun, padauk will eventually turn chocolate brown. My classical, which doesn't see much sun, is still only a light redish-brown color.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:38 PM

Just found this thread, interesting to tag along. I have this binding machine I bought from Blues Creek. It is great, although I still get nervous using it it has never failed me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210319_124418.jpg (45.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20210319_124306.jpg (39.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20210317_101744.jpg (41.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-21-2021, 05:07 PM

I have just about the same set up, last change was switching to a Ridgit router, a nice little machine. Had some problems with climb cutting and have been making real small cuts with many passes since. Seems to be working better, a bit of a pain making so many passes but have been able to make continuous passes all the way around not changing direction. With light passes there has been no tear out so far.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I have just about the same set up, last change was switching to a Ridgit router, a nice little machine. Had some problems with climb cutting and have been making real small cuts with many passes since. Seems to be working better, a bit of a pain making so many passes but have been able to make continuous passes all the way around not changing direction. With light passes there has been no tear out so far.
The climb cutting is nerve wracking. I carefully mark the very edge of the top with a Sharpie to show the start and stop points. Then going around the other way is a joy. On the rosewood back I dont do any climb cutting, at least on the one I did the other day I didn't, I am getting brave........or careless. I did make the mistake of doing the purfling first, then I barely had enough of a step to support the tapered router base doing the binding.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:24 PM

Cutting binding channels has been one of the things I've screwed up more than any other thing. You can read, watch videos, and other lessons but in the end you still have to make things work for you.

I think I've learned more by finding out not what to do than any thing else, you seem to remember a good screw up.

We see the results of some of the really great builders on this site and sometimes how they do/did it. I sometimes wonder if their current methods are the same as when they started out or have evolved somewhat. Most likely some changes, but were they minor or did they have to make major changes to what they first thought would work. I think some of the aspects of building have a lot of leeway as to how to do it others not so much. Seems like finding out what and what you cannot do everyone has to discover for themselves, part of the journey.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Haven't posted in awhile, been in finishing hell, hard to escape from.

Had to run a few errands yesterday and found myself passing by Crosscut Hardwoods/Seattle. I stopped in to see if they had anything interesting(1st mistake), found a nice selection of q-sawn Padauk(2nd mistake.) I have a hard time resisting a nice piece of wood. Ended up with 2 nice Padauks and 2 fair SPCs, must be some kind of addiction thing. Did a few rough cuts to get the stuff down to workable sizes and will start the resaw this week. Not sure what the yield will be, depends on how good my resaw skills are. A few pics....The stuff looks a lot better than it photoed, really nice quatering.
Did the resaw on the stuff I bought a few weeks ago, got a yield of 12 B/S sets from the Padauk, some pretty nice and a few so so. Got 7 glued up neck blanks from the SPC.
Just couldn't have all the nice material laying around doing nothing so I did 3 box builds. Guess I like building boxes more than guitars, hate binding, hate fretting, and maybe setting up too. But less so as the more I do it. A few pics of the latest boxes.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 pads0005.jpg (33.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 3 pads0006.jpg (36.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 3 pads0007.jpg (28.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-22-2021, 05:49 AM

Looking great! My first build a long time ago was padouk, a fabulous sounding tonewood at a very reasonable price. I imagine you already know this, but you need to seal it up right away and keep it out of the sun or the bright orange oxidizes to muddy brown really quickly. I even sealed up the inside of of the body before I closed the box.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

This place is just down the road from me. I haven't visited yet, but soon!

http://www.mcclellanwoodwork.com/

-Mike
Old 05-24-2021, 06:30 AM

The binding IMO is one of the hardest phases of the whole project. This jig from elevate lutherie tools has been a game changer for me.
here's the link https://elevatelutherie.com/tools/

Old 05-24-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pack View Post
The binding IMO is one of the hardest phases of the whole project. This jig from elevate lutherie tools has been a game changer for me.
here's the link https://elevatelutherie.com/tools/

That looks great. I just wonder how much control you really have having to move the guitar around it to cut. With that system you don't need cutters with specific bearings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair