The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 PM

Default Blackbird El Capitan FTW

Just got my El Cap back from Blackbird (repairs).

I'll write up something longer later, but after just a few hours, I continue to think that Blackbird makes the finest composite instruments I have owned or played.

I like my x30; I liked my x20. I love my El Cap, and I really miss my Super OM.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been thinking about buying an El Capitan for quite some time now... the Savoy was too small and I never managed to find a comfortable position to play, but I found the El Capitan too expensive. But I see that Blackbird has increased the price by no less than 400$!!

Out of curiosity, what was the repair on your guitar? I’m wondering about the solidity of eKoa, and also if Joe will continue with Blackbird if Lingrove proves to be successful... hence the concern for future repairs!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Tøf, could you expand on the "Lingrove situation"? I see that they are on the internet as the makers of Ekoa - is there some sort of conflict between them and Blackbird?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Tøf, could you expand on the "Lingrove situation"? I see that they are on the internet as the makers of Ekoa - is there some sort of conflict between them and Blackbird?
Lingrove is Joe’s company . It is the company that makes the eKoa. He makes eKoa for others that use the product for what ever they might be making. No other guitar companies yet that I know of. If Lingrove keeps growing it might take up more of his time... you know...business stuff.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 08-28-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Spelllinng
Old 08-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Yep, what Kramster said

I was also wondering if Blackbird had changed the El Cap top for some bi-directional fiber eKoa? I saw the latest Savoys were like that, I was wondering what impact it might have on the sound?
Old 08-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

I saw on the Lingrove site a bit about dying the Ekoa fiber - has anyone seen any Blackbird guitars or ukes in anything besides brown? A mid-gray with some black accents could be sharp looking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber