The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM

I know exactly what strap you are talking about its a sort of neck lanyard with a hook. Nice idea a few problems. yes it will scratch your guitar and if you more your arm off it or let go with the left hand most of them will flip your guitar out into space (think Chinese Jakob's ladder wood block toy) not to mention they make it hard for the top to move in that area so they will affect tone. A similar but less intrusive way is the sort of guitar bag socks that they put around them to keep the mariachi costumes buttons from scratching the back. Basically make a guitar bag that holds your instrument attach your straps to that and voila. I mention this because if you are concerned about tone its better for you not to bring the guitar into contact with your chest at all and minimally on your knee or leg anyways. So I would say they are about even.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Kenny Hill Stand up

http://hillguitar.blogspot.com/2007/...-and-play.html
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 AM

Due to back problems when playing (especially the tailbone), it was recommended on Delcamp that I try a strap on my classical & flamenco guitars. I did, my back problems are resolved, and I can play many more hours per week in comfort.

I tried several variations... the hook type, tied types, if you search classical forums for "strap" you will see lots of variations. I have found that (blasphemy!) buttons and a standard strap are the easiest and most stable arrangement... stability is very important in playing intricate fingerstyle arrangements (unless your name is Tommy Emanuel).

So, for what it's worth: (1) Make sure you install a felt pad between your buttons and the guitar... better yet, have a luthier do it professionally. (2) Find a very soft leather strap, no synthetics as they will scratch your guitar finish (3) I have tried all widths... 2" across the neck & shoulder, 1" at each end works best for me <the 1" is easier to work around at the heel block button>

Some people will not buy a classical guitar that has buttons... I think this mentality will change over time, for many uses a strap is a superior solution, and to be able to sit, stand, move around allows much more artistic expression than the fixed classical position. More and more players are using straps. Regardless, it is likely buttons will make it more difficult to get your price when you go to sell.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Whenever the subject of Classical Guitar straps appears, I must offer this Aaron Shearer product:

http://www.aaronshearer.com/htmpages/guitar.htm

May God bless his soul.

Jackstrat

Last edited by jackstrat; 01-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Well, I finally just "went for it" yesterday--drilled a hole in the heel of the neck (a la Taylor) and use the button from the K&K pure classic that I installed last weekend. It works quite well. I need to do some strap adjustment.

Yes, I did insert the felt pad twixt button and guitar.

Yes, I understand that I'm breaking certain established rules of classical guitar decorum.

Oh well....

Thank y'all for the help.

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Default What's the point?

I don't get the point of placing a felt washer between the strap button and the guitar. 1. Once you make a thread hole in the guitar it's there for good.
2. The felt washer just makes the button unstable, and may even allow the button to wobble around over time, making the screw hole even more unsightly. 3. For best and most dependable function, I want my strap button to be fastened as tightly and securely as possible. In a club, I saw a guitar fall off the bandstand once because the button screw pulled out and the neck broke off! 4. The hole is going to be there for the life of the guitar. What do you hope to accomplish with a felt washer?

T__
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I don't get the point of placing a felt washer between the strap button and the guitar. 1. Once you make a thread hole in the guitar it's there for good.
2. The felt washer just makes the button unstable, and may even allow the button to wobble around over time, making the screw hole even more unsightly. 3. For best and most dependable function, I want my strap button to be fastened as tightly and securely as possible. In a club, I saw a guitar fall off the bandstand once because the button screw pulled out and the neck broke off! 4. The hole is going to be there for the life of the guitar. What do you hope to accomplish with a felt washer?

T__
I think the felt washer may be there to prevent over-tightening the screw and causing some serious damage - cracking the wood or just compressing a disk-shaped countersink into that spot. Isn't a washer usually there to prevent the head slipping through the screw hole?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
I think the felt washer may be there to prevent over-tightening the screw and causing some serious damage - cracking the wood or just compressing a disk-shaped countersink into that spot. Isn't a washer usually there to prevent the head slipping through the screw hole?
You wouldn't crack the wood of the guitar by over-tightening. The threads in the wood would begin to strip. Of course, the surface wood might be compressed by the button before that happens, but it wound take quite an idiot to continue tightening the screw after the strap button is tight and seated.
Washers under screw and bolt heads have different purposes. one is to prevent the screw from gouging the wood under it (This is not a factor with a strap button, for the strap button itself serves that purpose.). Another function of washers is use of a lock washer which prevents the screw or bolt from loosening. (not needed here).
Of course a felt "washer" would do neither, and that is the point of my post. It adds a spongy layer beneath something that needs to be firmly seated.
Cheers!
T_
Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Having just installed strap buttons on my classical I can say that the felt washer compresses and the result is a tight fit with no play in the strap button. I can see the felt washer serving two purposes. First it fills in the voids that will be there when attaching a flat strap button to a slightly curved wooden surface. Second, I suspect it helps keep the bottom of the metal button from scratching the finish. (yes, I know there is still a hole there if the button is removed )

Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM

You got it Ruston... the underside of the button will scratch the finish without the felt. The felt provides a soft, vibration free seat that is plenty snug. Of course everyone should check the tightness all screws, buttons and tuners, on a regular basis. If you want added security, put a dab of caulking in the pre-drilled button hole before installing the button.

As for the drilled hole itself, I bet I can fix that hole such that you would never see it unless you knew it was there.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM

" . . . the underside of the button will scratch the finish without the felt"! Whaaat?
The UNDERSIDE of the button will scratch the finish! ROTFLMAO!
I wonder if you store your guitar in a temperature controlled, humidity-adjusted, light and dust-free hermetically-sealed atmospherically-controlled vault, maybe taking it out occasionally to pluck a string or two.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Gosh, doesn't everyone have a vault Tommy?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Gosh, doesn't everyone have a vault Tommy?
Well, to tell the truth, I myself do have a vault, but I started to put money into it one day and soon there wasn't any room for the guitars. You have to watch that. Vaults have a way of accumulating money in them.
Tommy/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical