The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
For God sakes, the Cargo serves a niche (for hacks like me) which I doubt was intended for perfectionist professionals (not the target market). It's the consummate travel guitar (and as it turns out, couch guitar) that blows the doors off most, if not all, in it's category. It was affordably priced. If a truss rod and other so-called improvements are introduced, the price will probably go waaay up and that little winner could turn into a loser.

You've entirely missed my point.

So it goes.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
The question *I* have is whether or not Peavey will recognize the need for a slightly better angle, and if they want to discard some *very* expensive molds to improve things. If memory serves, the aluminum molds may be in the range of $20K per.
Disclaimer: I was a quality control engineer before I earned my degrees in physics and materials science. I had the pleasure of working with an excellent prototype machinist in product development.

They need not necessarily throw away the molds to make the changes you suggest. A GOOD prototype machinist can modify molds to achieve the desired results. Elias Eleftheriades is one such machinist in the San Francisco Bay Area that did exactly for several years that I worked with him.

George
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
.. If a truss rod and other so-called improvements are introduced, the price will probably go waaay up and that little winner could turn into a loser.
May be wrong, but I sincerely doubt the cost of manufacture would be significantly impacted by adding a truss rod.
Just have to change the neck mold to include a truss rod channel, a one time change I suspect, and lay the rod in.

Perhaps, what with Peavy taking over the operation, now would be the easiest time to make a few changes to the design?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Disclaimer: I was a quality control engineer before I earned my degrees in physics and materials science. I had the pleasure of working with an excellent prototype machinist in product development.

They need not necessarily throw away the molds to make the changes you suggest. A GOOD prototype machinist can modify molds to achieve the desired results. Elias Eleftheriades is one such machinist in the San Francisco Bay Area that did exactly for several years that I worked with him.

George!

I was just about to email you, since we haven't heard much from you of late.

Hope the ol' noggin is healed, and that you're having a nice summer!

Hey, let's have J.R. get a hold of this guy, and introduce him to Hartley!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Re; your not having any idea on how saddle height affects tone, I'll refer you to the article by William Cumpiano which I linked to earlier, and also to Brian Kimsey's web site.
(Brian is a very well known guitar tech/set up pro.)
http://www.bryankimsey.com/setup/actions.htm
I know what saddle height does in terms of physics, but I have no idea if a taller saddle would *improve* the tone of a carbon fiber guitar.

I'm sure you're aware that carbon fiber differs from wood, but you may not be aware about how it differs tonally. The designers take pains to damp the vibrations. That was CA's claim to fame -- they managed to get a "woody" sound out of carbon fiber by a combination of materials, bracing, and geometry.

You seem to want to change the geometry because somebody thinks it's the Right Thing to do for wooden guitars. What makes you certain it's the Right Thing to do for carbon fiber guitars from CA?

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I know what saddle height does in terms of physics, but I have no idea if a taller saddle would *improve* the tone of a carbon fiber guitar.

I'm sure you're aware that carbon fiber differs from wood, but you may not be aware about how it differs tonally. The designers take pains to damp the vibrations. That was CA's claim to fame -- they managed to get a "woody" sound out of carbon fiber by a combination of materials, bracing, and geometry.

You seem to want to change the geometry because somebody thinks it's the Right Thing to do for wooden guitars. What makes you certain it's the Right Thing to do for carbon fiber guitars from CA?
Time for me to bow out.
Believe whatever you like.

Hope Peavy is successful with their new acquisition. The world can never have too many good guitars.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Time for me to bow out.
Believe whatever you like.

Hope Peavy is successful with their new acquisition. The world can never have too many good guitars.
I agree...he has ignored most of my salient points, and especially regarding the nonsense quoted about how they "know" their no-truss-rod approach is best.

I'm always looking for good guitars.

Perhaps I'll find a good super-short-scale carbon-fiber Peavey down the road...

Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post

I don't have any special insight into their manufacturing process, but my understanding is that the aluminum molds were masters, and they produced inexpensive short-lifetime "clones" from those that were used in production.

I imagine they could make slight changes to the neck angle in the clone molds without any great expense if they wanted to.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
You've entirely missed my point.

So it goes.
Not sure that he did. I think he has a good point.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
For God sakes, the Cargo serves a niche (for hacks like me) which I doubt was intended for perfectionist professionals (not the target market). It's the consummate travel guitar (and as it turns out, couch guitar) that blows the doors off most, if not all, in it's category. It was affordably priced. If a truss rod and other so-called improvements are introduced, the price will probably go waaay up and that little winner could turn into a loser.
The price point was great, and I unfortunately missed my chance to get one a few years back at a Lafayette, LA shop. Hope Peavey does right by the brand.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I'm always looking for good guitars.
Perhaps I'll find a good super-short-scale carbon-fiber Peavey down the road...
I'm hoping so too Larry, I'm glad I missed out on the first incarnation of CA and will get the chance to own one with a TRUSS ROD soon... but that won't happen unless it has a TRUSS ROD! I think we should all sign up on the Peavey forum and remind Hartley to not forget the TRUSS ROD!
It's such a little thing (and not expensive despite a previous poster's concern), but it'll make a HUGE difference. For those who really believe it doesn't need one .... just don't turn it!

Bong.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong Twang Ping View Post
I'm hoping so too Larry, I'm glad I missed out on the first incarnation of CA and will get the chance to own one with a TRUSS ROD soon... but that won't happen unless it has a TRUSS ROD! I think we should all sign up on the Peavey forum and remind Hartley to not forget the TRUSS ROD!
It's such a little thing (and not expensive despite a previous poster's concern), but it'll make a HUGE difference. For those who really believe it doesn't need one .... just don't turn it!

Bong.

Perhaps they'll be able to harvest carbon from buckyballs found in outer-space:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/sh...ef=online-news

Maybe this will keep the cost down, and they'll be able to afford a design that includes a proper neck-angle and adjustable truss rods....

P.S. The geniuses at CA were unable to keep their business afloat. Plenty of discussion here (and elsewhere) on that, but no facts. Apparently not *all* was perfect with their products and/or their company. Remember, they went belly-up.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
On the other hand, will Peavey be able to use its manufacturing & distribution scales to produce & sell Peavey-CA guitars at the same (or even more) competitive pricing?

I don't know enough about this industry to answer the question. But it's a question worth considering IMHO.

Judging by Peavey existing products, there is a good possibility that Peavey will actually produce cheaper but lower quality carbon fiber guitars. I don't know how they will cut corners, perhaps in materials, or finishes, or maybe outsource to China. They will very likely target the lower-end segment of the CF market.

This may not necessarily hurt Rainsong / Emerald, because Peavey may actually enlarge the CF market by reaching the lower-end market segment.

If this is the case, then Rainsong / Emerald will become the Martin / Taylor of the CF world, while Peavey-CA will become... well... the Peavey of the CF world... or if they can sell plenty of CF guitars, the Yamaha of the CF world.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

One of the things you have to remember is the guitars carbon.
I forget what the word is that describes the behavour of the fibers in carbon fiber, I think it's isotropic. Basically once the fibers have been impregnated with eopxy or what ever they use, the fibers will always want to return to their original position or alignment.
This is why carbon is so popular for top of the line bicycles, tennis rackets, paddles etc. when the fiber bends it has this natural need to return to the original fiber alignment, so the fibers create or absorbs energy based on the application.
With a monocoque design like the Cargo, it would be difficult to stop the fibers trying to return to their original position after trying to adjust a neck. Based the Cargos current design a truss rod would probably result in cracks or damage around the rod.
The guitar and neck would have to be separate units.
For myself I took a little off of the saddle and put medium strings on the guitar, nice action , no buzz and an instrument I don't have to worry about.
There's no doubt in my mind a cargo with a truss rod would require twice the tooling, molds for neck and body, some kind of attachment which would not be as strong as the one piece design. More labour, two layups, more assembly time ( labour ) all of a sudden my reasonably priced camp fire , trash it, beat of the crowds guitar is going to cost 2 grand.
For my wood instruments I want the full ability to change the setup and fine tune the instrument.
For my Cargo, the less things I have to worry about, the less things can move, the less care I have to give the instrument, the better.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
With a monocoque design like the Cargo, it would be difficult to stop the fibers trying to return to their original position after trying to adjust a neck.
FWIW, Emerald Guitars also have no truss rod. I just checked their website and here's what they say:

Truss Rod: No truss rod (doesn't need it, the neck is too stiff for it to work)

But I am proud to be a member of a forum that can get so excited by something as mundane as a truss-rod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber