The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM

WOW GUYS! I didn't expect to hear this much this fast. So the fuss over CA is justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
The closest guitar that I have felt sounded better than my 7i is a McPherson Redwood/Ziricote that was approx. 3 times the cost of the 7i. I would love to own the Mac but I don't have that kind of money.Jim B
That's funny. I'm thinking about the same thing. I REALLY want a Mcpherson one day, but having a CA in ones arsenal seems like a great idea. That, and I won't be affording a Mcpherson any time soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
I sold a really sweet Taylor 814CE to buy my GX performer( which is now called a M8CE) I have never looked back. plays like the day I bought it and still SOUNDS like the day I bought it. Almost a year now.
I was debating getting a Taylor 314 or 414 (close in price to 5i/GXi in R/T I think) yet if the tone is at least comparable...I'd rather have the no humidity issues!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 PM

Elliott, I owned a 314, and there is no comparison. My 5i is superior in every aspect.

ken

Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 AM

Elliot...the 5i in the wine fade should be a wonderful guitar or if you have a bit extra...and it sounds like you do the 7i in the tobacco burst like the one Acousticado is getting, and like I have is absolutely gorgeous! Sometimes I find the CA's to be a bit mundane looking compared lets say to that McPherson I was telling you about but this 7i Tobacco burst is heaven to look at.

Jim

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Compurocker, there is no 8 series with offset soundhole, and there won't be. The 8M is now branded as the GX, the former offset soundhole models 5iM and 7iM are now branded as the GXi either in Road Tough (RT) or High-Gloss finish.
The more I think about it the GX does not need an offset soundhole as it sounds great just the way it is. I would love to hear from some people who have A/B'd CA and Rainsong Guitars of comparable value. The people I have heard from that own a Rainsong seem to love them. There is something to be said for the more Traditional Guitar shape. I think that is a sticking point for some people. It is comforting in some odd way to know that excellent Guitars can be built without using ANY wood.

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 AM

I can't get my mind to wrap around the fact that there is no wood on these guitars, yet from recordings, they sound like a great wooden guitar. How is this possible? I just don't get it, we talk about different tone woods, bracing, endlessly, and this comes along and produces a great sound without any woods at all.

CA's are radical in the true, and slang, sense of the word!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 AM

They are super guitars and I really like them. I have 2 of them and they sound better than many guitars in the <$3k range in my opinion.

When you add on the durability and care free aspects, they are worth every penny.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 AM

I have a 5L, now Legacy with RT finish. Mine has the vinage bracing and it sound very woodie. It is also thinner than a usual dread and a bit curved, making it really comfortable to play. I compared it the Larrivee L-03R and it played better, sounded better, and sounded more wood-like to friends who I had close their eyes. The only problem with the legacy is I can't find another guitar I like as well....

Ok, I have a X as well...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM

I have Cargo, out in my living room where I can pick it up anytime. People come over. They play it. I play it. It's the greatest, and for those of you who have played it, you will probably agree with me that it has incredible resonance and sustain -- it's a ball to play and easy to hold.

When I get serious about playing, I go where the wood guitars are kept, but when I just want to casually enjoy it, I reach for the Cargo.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 AM

All this talk about CA guitars got me interested as well. Not sure where they sell them in Florida. So I found this website that seems to have pretty good prices and offer free shipping and free returns. Might be worth it try one out. Anyone ever dealt with this company?

http://www.macnichol.com/mm5/merchan...tore_Code=MGAM
Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 AM

I bought my guitar there (he's just up the road from me). Very good service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQPhil View Post
All this talk about CA guitars got me interested as well. Not sure where they sell them in Florida. So I found this website that seems to have pretty good prices and offer free shipping and free returns. Might be worth it try one out. Anyone ever dealt with this company?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Very nice burst! The fade from one color to the next is gradual rather than some I've seen where it almost looks like someone taped off between colors. Looks like it's glowing. Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 AM

I bought a Cargo about a month ago and really enjoy it. It's heads and tails above my Baby Martin. It sounds best with a pick and OK fingerstyle. It does not replace my Taylors (GS5 and K24) and does not sound anything close to them. I do enjoy it as a guitar I can leave in my car or on my boat and not worry about it. I'm not big on the "road tough" finish, I find it to be very noisy and feels a bit like sand paper. I was wondering if it could be sanded down and polished.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 PM

I've had my 5i for a few months now. It is my go to guitar. It has it's own voice, but is every bit as sweet as my fine wooden guitars. If forced to consolidate down to one guitar, I'd be keeping the ca. Great tone and great playability coupled with worry free care make it a no-brainer.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 PM

I've been playing guitar since 1964 (yep, I know...I'm an old guy) and would be hard-pressed to count the number I owned over the years. For quality of construction, sound and playability, my CA 7M-CE ranks among the top of the guitars I now own, or have ever owned in the past. It is that good. Throw in the fact that it requires little or no maintenance, it is hard not to rate it at the top.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQPhil View Post

My 7iM (now GXi in high-gloss tobacco burst) is ordered through macnichol. Hard to beat 'em!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber