The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM

Is it this one?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlo...tric-Guitar.gc

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Yes, that’s the Bourbon Burst that I quite like, or there’s a Prarrie Burst that I think I like a bit more, but I’d be interested in either. When I follow your link, it says the full retail is $749. I’m not sure anyone can do this guitar brand new for $549, but by all means prove me wrong ;-)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!
Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

A seller could easily do it for $550... and they'd still make money on it...

I would definetly play it before you buy it, if at all possible. My experience with the Pursuits is that some are MUCH better than others... a myrtle wood top lends a different characteristic to the tone of the guitar, quite different from either a spruce top or a mahogany top, so spend some time with it and see how you like it. Another factor to keep in mind is that, if this is a brand-new guitar, myrtle takes some hours of playing to loosen up and sound like it REALLY sounds... so, if it's close, it's gonna get better very soon! Either of those "burst" schemes are lovely to look at...

Personally, I like the all myrtle guitars from Breedlove, especially the newer ones made in Bend; they've started doing some sort of computer-aided resonant frequency matching of the top to the back, and it REALLY makes a big difference in the overall volume and tone of their guitars!

Of course, an all-myrtle Oregon Series is going to set you back closer to $1800... so it may be out of your price range!

Good luck! $550 IS a great price, so long as you love the guitar!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-04-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Fan View Post
Yes, that’s the Bourbon Burst that I quite like, or there’s a Prarrie Burst that I think I like a bit more, but I’d be interested in either. When I follow your link, it says the full retail is $749. I’m not sure anyone can do this guitar brand new for $549, but by all means prove me wrong ;-)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!
I've seen them on sale for $549..in fact I bought the same guitar but in Concerto size for $599 on sale... Stupidly I sent it back as I forgot I back-ordered a Yamaha FG3 and thought it would be better...It wasn't so I bought another Concerto but a Discovery model... and it's a nice guitar..
Old 09-04-2019, 06:04 PM

Either should be a winner. There all myrtlewoods typical get a lot of praise. Good luck and hope you are a happy new member of the Breedlove fan club. I'm going on 10 years since I dumped my Martine D-28.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 09-04-2019, 06:42 PM

Hi guys! Thanks for all the great replies! I looked everywhere and I think the closest to $550 I could find currently was Musician's Friend had one of them for $599 new. However, I finally took the plunge, so to speak..... I took a shot on a used one from the GC website. I think a member here pointed it out but I had previously disregarded it because I thought, based on it's price and title, that it was a regular Pursuit and not the Exotic version. But after taking a second look at it, I called the store and got some extra info. I also reached out to Breedlove directly to confirm that "MM" in the model name does indicate Myrtlewood, so I am fairly sure this is the guitar I want. I must say, the pictures of all the used instruments GC posts are terrible. You think with all the used business they do that they could invest in more than a white sheet background and a cell phone camera. Anyway, I took a shot at it, it's said to be in "excellent" condition, which they claim is "like-new". I gave it a try because I have 45 days to return it to my local GC if I don't like it, and honestly that was a big selling point for me. I paid $446.14 including sales tax and I believe $15 shipping. I think that's a great deal if the instrument is truly "like new" - we'll see ;-) If anyone is interested, I can post picks once I get it next week.

Oh, to be clear, directly from Breedlove...... "MM" DOES indicate Myrtlewood front, and Myrtlewood back and sides.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Mule Fan; 09-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

From their website, it looks like the most likely answer is Myrtlewood over Myrtlewood.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
From their website, it looks like the most likely answer is Myrtlewood over Myrtlewood.
Yes, I just wanted to be sure when I was looking at used instruments in particular. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Fan View Post
I must say, the pictures of all the used instruments GC posts are terrible. You think with all the used business they do that they could invest in more than a white sheet background and a cell phone camera.
Right about that. The photos display small, there's never more than one, and they're always bad. Most pawn shops do better! The first thing they should do is hang a dark gray sheet instead of a white one (my fellow photogs will understand why). A cell phone camera would be fine if they had a little lighting, too.

As it is, we'd be better off with a photo of the label, to check if the listing is correct!
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 09-05-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Right about that. The photos display small, there's never more than one, and they're always bad. Most pawn shops do better! The first thing they should do is hang a dark gray sheet instead of a white one (my fellow photogs will understand why). A cell phone camera would be fine if they had a little lighting, too.

As it is, we'd be better off with a photo of the label, to check if the listing is correct!
I couldn't agree more! As someone who used to sell a lot of stuff on eBay, they desperately need better lighting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion