The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-22-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Mi-Si or no Mi-Si

Probably going to call up Ted tomorrow and see what he can do on a Farallon for the spouse.

Should I order with the Mi-Si or without? If ordered without I will probably eventually have a local shop install a K&K.

Note, I have a K&K in my Shorty, and find it somewhat annoying to have to bring extra crap along like a pre-amp or DI box to make it work right.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-22-2018, 05:40 PM

The Mi-Si in my Savoy works well
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-22-2018, 10:33 PM

It is a decent UST and I played a party tonight with mine. No doubt other pickups sound better but I'm not sure an audience will know the difference. A ToneDextor will take a Mi-Si UST to the same level of perfection as it would with a SBT. But unlike a passive SBT, the Mi-Si is fully buffered and can handle a direct connection to a mixer.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-23-2018, 05:07 AM

Hi had Joe install a K&K on my Farallon directly from Blackbird. It is now an option and sounds great!! I would not hesitate to have one installed. Also the sound port really expands the base sound on this uke. Highly recommend... also looks cool when looking down into the uke. You can see al the craftsmanship that Joe and team put into their instruments that normally is hidden.

Good luck!! The wait time is long unless you happen to catch Ted with some inventory on hand :-)
Old 11-23-2018, 05:17 AM

I owned a Farallon without a pick up so I can't comment but a friend has the Blackbird Clara with Misi and it sounds good. I have 2 custom build Kimo ukes with Misi and some other different customs with LR Baggs 5.0 pick ups and the sound is similar and quite good. I think you would be happy with the Farallon and Misi combo. Get the volume/ tone control wheels installed if available through Blackbird, makes it that much nicer.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:31 PM

I went ahead and shelled out for the Mi-Si.

The wife is not good about being cognizant of the mic location, so I definitely want a pick-up of some sort. I could probably save a little by having someone install a K&K Aloha, but there is a not insignificant hassle factor of driving 40 minutes to a decent tech. (Phoenix metro is significantly spread out)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-23-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I went ahead and shelled out for the Mi-Si.

The wife is not good about being cognizant of the mic location, so I definitely want a pick-up of some sort. I could probably save a little by having someone install a K&K Aloha, but there is a not insignificant hassle factor of driving 40 minutes to a decent tech. (Phoenix metro is significantly spread out)
I think you done good... and yes really spread out.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-23-2018, 03:32 PM

Probably a good decision, AZ. Both of the Blackbird instruments that I own (Lucky 13 CF guitar, and the Farallon eKoa ukulele) do not have pickups in them. I still have wooden guitars and ukulele with pickups, on the off chance that I someday decided to perform amplified again.

And I cannot argue about Phoenix being spread out with terrible traffic - sheesh!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:59 PM

I have Mi-Sis in all of my Blackbird instruments and I am happy with the sound and I love the ease of charging.
Barb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber