The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Default More stunning figured veneers - Emerald Guitars

Alistair posted a video on his facebook page revealing some really stunning figured veneers that just arrived, they are gonna look incredible!

https://m.facebook.com/EmeraldGuitarCompany/

Gave me GAS for a second woody when my first one haven't even arrived yet.

Last edited by pandaroo; 04-08-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Gave me GAS for a second woody when my first one haven't even arrived yet.
I'm with you on that!!! Going to be some incredible builds with that stuff. I'll be curious to see what the ones with the bamboo look like.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Cool stuff for sure!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Neat! We only got to see one veneer of each wood type in the respective stack. I wonder if each veneer in a stack was cut from the same timber and therefore all virtually the same, or if each was cut from different timbers and therefore unique.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

In rhetoric the last frontier is style. After you have something to say, after you have organized your stuff, after you have somehow recorded your stuff, and after you have figured out how to deliver the message, then you go for style.

Alistair's veneers are high style--and you don't just see them everywhere. It's not just that they are unusual as the face of a guitar; the veneers reflect the wild side of wood, what is not straight and strong. But they are also rare examples of what wood can display.

I have played with wood for forty years (Google blythinart.com) and I have dabbled with veneers. What Alistair has come up with amazes me.

And so, as the last frontier of my CF, nylon string, electric guitar, I have been looking at veneers. The Ebony has caught my eye. I don't know if Alistair has any left, but that is what I am looking at. I've known some ebony, carved it, but I've never seen it in the form brought to us by Emerald Guitars.

And what is particularly cool, the wood/Cf guitars are true hybrids. It's a new world.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Evan, same here, the ebony caught my eye too.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:45 PM

If you go down further there is an excellent Video explaining Fan Frets. Wish I could post it separately but it doesn't seem to have a link.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Guest 928

I'm pretty stuck on the Ebony. I think it is perfect for an electric nylon string CF guitar. Holding my breath.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Just do it Evan. You only live once.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Guest 928

Jimmy;

Thank you; I am doing it and having a pretty good time.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
In rhetoric the last frontier is style. After you have something to say, after you have organized your stuff, after you have somehow recorded your stuff, and after you have figured out how to deliver the message, then you go for style.

Alistair's veneers are high style--and you don't just see them everywhere. It's not just that they are unusual as the face of a guitar; the veneers reflect the wild side of wood, what is not straight and strong. But they are also rare examples of what wood can display.

I have played with wood for forty years (Google blythinart.com) and I have dabbled with veneers. What Alistair has come up with amazes me.

And so, as the last frontier of my CF, nylon string, electric guitar, I have been looking at veneers. The Ebony has caught my eye. I don't know if Alistair has any left, but that is what I am looking at. I've known some ebony, carved it, but I've never seen it in the form brought to us by Emerald Guitars.

And what is particularly cool, the wood/Cf guitars are true hybrids. It's a new world.

Spot on. These veneers are exquisite. That said, when I look at my Emeralds, I see the thoughtful evolution in each curve that shows forward thinking. The guitars aren't just beautiful, they exhibit design features that would be nearly impossible with wood. The way the curves meet your torso and arm, to the flowing offset sound-hole directing more sound to the player, without losing the forward projection.

The veneers take it further in making each instrument visually unique.

Like many here, it was the first cocobolo X20 images that grabbed me, making me re-think what I wanted in and from a guitar. Then, getting that X7 Opus let me see beyond (just) the pretty, to the essence of what these guitars are all about. Looking at how striking the CF weave is on that Opus shows the attention to detail that brings the looks and function together; nothing about this guitar implies entry level. I knew from the first day with the X7 that it was going to open my "old dog" mind.

Then, seeing the e-mail about the February Select Series and that louro preto veneer... in over 50 years of playing, I have never been so struck by the absolute beauty/design of a guitar. (Well, there was that ES-335 that left me awe-struck in 1966... and, I still have it. )

Contrary to what you might think by reading my posts here, I've not been one to "fawn over" a particular guitar or design. Most of my guitars have been tools to make music. The Emeralds' style and design changed that for me. And, all these beautiful veneers...

Even better to hold and experience the feel and sound.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Well stated Captain, and spot on....that must be why you are "The Captain"
Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Well stated Captain, and spot on....that must be why you are "The Captain"
Well, the USCG license is probably more apropos than my guitar opinions. For any of you married guys, you may appreciate this: on a few occasions, my lovely wife has worked on boats I've captained... it's the only time I could tell her what to do and not expect push-back. That certainly hasn't been the case on any of our own boats. Or, in vehicles. Or, in life.

When working boat jobs together, she has generally been in the office or sales/customer service... meaning she had a hand in on my scheduling. A rule to live by: don't tick off the person who handles your schedule... or your food.

To bring this back on-topic, she thinks the Emerald veneers are beautiful, too. She is the one who said, "Get it! Before it gets away!" on my Select Series X20.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Love the guitars but I'm not liking the veneers on this month's special edition offerings. Doesn't remind me of wood, more of a '70's counter top. I want wood to look like wood, not swirls.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

What am I missing? I tried the link twice, carefully scrolling all the way to the bottom, did not find any videos featuring different wood veneers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber