The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 PM

Default Fix for quiter strings on a pinless bridge

I have piezo-equipped French guitar LAG with a pinless bridge, and the trouble is that the three higher strings are quieter than the bass strings (high e string being the most quiet of all). It's really noticeable in a live situation over loud PA. Now, in previous instances on other guitars, I've solved it with capoing the fret, and removing the pins/saddle, putting a piece of paper, experimenting couple of times... until I get it right. Since this is the pinless bridge, it's impossible to do that, I have to take off the strings completely, and in my experience, I'm not gonna get it right in 5-6 times (if ever) and removing and placing strings again for 5-6 times is not a happy thought? There's no easier way, is it?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 AM

I have no idea whether it will help you but on my old Ovation, I threaded a length of fairly thick wire (actually copper mains cable) through the string ball ends along the base of the bridge before tightening the strings.

This somehow pulled a bit more mass and metal in to unite the strings at the bridge, and added a noticeable amount of brightness and a little more sustain.

Whilst unfortunately making changing single strings almost impossible.

Anyhow, perhaps you could try this just with the quieter 3 strings. See if it makes any difference. There's nothing to lose.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:16 PM

Hi, Diego.

Some questions first:

I'm a bit confused by what you say, first the three highest strings are relatively too loud, but then the highest (?) is the quietest. Can you clarify?

Are we talking specifically about amplified or is there a discrepancy when you play acoustically.

Is there a preamp in the guitar?
Old 09-18-2019, 04:04 PM

I think your pinned solution is still the only way to go, but this time you will need to remove the strings at the tuning machines. It all seems like a much bigger hassle than a pinned guitar, but I don't see an alternative. I can not think of any time I balanced a UST and did not need a couple of passes at it either (which will make your situation that much more painful!). I would start with two strips of paper under the saddle (and above the UST) at the B & G strings and three under the high E hoping to hit this the first time.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have successfully loosened strings on pinless guitars enough to slide the saddle out without removing the strings. That would certainly be less troublesome if yours will allow it.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-19-2019, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I have successfully loosened strings on pinless guitars enough to slide the saddle out without removing the strings. That would certainly be less troublesome if yours will allow it.
Ditto with my pinless Lowden O-25. Done the same thing when adjusting action by sanding or shimming the saddles - capo on the 3rd fret, slack the strings way off (enough to permit one end of the saddle to be raised out of the slot, then slide the whole saddle out. Reverse the operation to replace the saddle, and re-tune.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:44 AM

Another option is to try a heavier gauge of strings on the treble side, as in the Elixir HD sets.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I would start with two strips of paper under the saddle (and above the UST) at the B & G strings and three under the high E hoping to hit this the first time.
That actually did the trick. Now I have much better response on the treble. Actually, I think low E and A are now a little bit quieter compared to the rest of the strings, but it's far better than before. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification