The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default NMSD New Latch Lake Mic Stand

Just took delivery yesterday , of a new Latch Lake Mic King 2200 Stand and Boom. (basically a birthday present to myself)

Latch Lake is one of the top brands in studio mic stands, certainly not cheap but very well designed with high quality materials made in USA

It features:
28 lb. base with wheels and the bulk of the weight on the outside rim (photo below)
Latch Lake designed lever lock type ( think newer bicycle seat and wheel locks) extension and angle position adjustment mechanisms and metal on metal tension adjustment (not metal on plastic)

This 2200 model is the middle of their line and considered the "studio work horse"

Comes shipped in two boxes the base in one box, and the two boom and stand tubes in the other

The stand tube (bottom in photo left end) has a beveled then threaded end, that sleeves through the matching center beveled pocket in the base, and is secured with a 15/16 nut.

There is a 7 lb sliding adj. counter weight that also has Latch Lake design lever lock type tensioner

Boom arm has an angle and boom length adjustment in a dual Latch Lake design system lever lock tensioners

The end of boom has another Latch Lake design mic angle lever lock

Here it is set up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-27-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Now that's a stand! If I had big, heavy, and expensive mics I could probably rationalize it.

Seeing this stand makes me feel less concerned about what I'm thinking of spending on upgrading a few stands.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Nice! How does it work? Someone was just working in my studio and pulled all the classic boobs on one of my Atlas studio booms: moving the boom angle without loosening the pressure clutch but having their gorilla tighten down the extension clutch collars. It's just no fun when someone wails down on the clutches way past snug and you have to loosen them again. I might just put a set of pliers with padded jaws in the studio so I don't muck up my hands on the clutches.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Now that's a stand! If I had big, heavy, and expensive mics I could probably rationalize it.

Seeing this stand makes me feel less concerned about what I'm thinking of spending on upgrading a few stands.
Ya there are lots of decent mid priced stands.

However I was wanting to upgrade from my old Studio boom stand that I bought used about 12-15 years ago I decided to try the weighted bottom type as opposed to big tripod legs on my old stand . And eventually settled on the Latch Lake which will no doubt outlast me

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-27-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I have been using the Latch Lake Jam nuts. Very inexpensive and make a difference in proper securing.
Additionally I bought the Triad-Orbit IO-RA quick release. I use it for both the microphone itself, and the microphone boom arm. This allows me to quickly put away the boom arm for more studio space. And then allows me to put back in the same position when needed in but a couple of seconds. Very secure system
I am considering buying the Latch Lake boom arm and attaching it to my Atlas stand for $180.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Nice! How does it work? Someone was just working in my studio and pulled all the classic boobs on one of my Atlas studio booms: moving the boom angle without loosening the pressure clutch but having their gorilla tighten down the extension clutch collars. It's just no fun when someone wails down on the clutches way past snug and you have to loosen them again. I might just put a set of pliers with padded jaws in the studio so I don't muck up my hands on the clutches.

Bob
Have not used in session but just playing around it is great ( I did have to play around with tension adjustment screws that set the lever lock tensions,,to get it to where it was tight but I could still open with 71 year old hands ) But the wide lever handles on the boom clutch are great and help a bunch.

Here you can see the Boom angle clutch is a dual disk brake type design , the lever lock open to change angle and you can see the two disks are actually tensioned on the four faces of the the two disks

And angle lever lock closed

And I really like I can just wheel it over to wall and out of the way (with my old tripod leg boom stand) I had to hide and lean up in the closet, because the legs stuck out too much when open, and it was not stable with them closed on that wall space

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-27-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I have been using the Latch Lake Jam nuts. Very inexpensive and make a difference in proper securing.

I am considering buying the Latch Lake boom arm and attaching it to my Atlas stand for $180.
IMO you will not regret it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

here is better photo of the dual disk system showing the boom arm angle clutch with the (steel in between piece ) is tensioned on all four surfaces of dual disks . I think the design is really quite ingenious

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-27-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

The Mercedes of mic stands
Old 02-27-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. A stable mic stand is essential for peace of mind once one makes the investment into a quality microphone. I hope it serves you well for many years.

I learned a lesson when my Blue Kiwi took a header. I was using those cheap tripod boom stands that sell for around $50 everywhere. In response I bought a straight stand with a cast iron bottom... not expensive but a lot more stable.

When I bought my Flea 47, I bought a Ultimate Support MC-125. The base must weigh near about 30 pounds and I like that it's on casters. When Sweetwater had the stand on clearance for $150, I bought a second. I also have an Atlas Sound MS25 straight stand that has a quite hefty base. I gave away all my cheap stands. They're just not worth the risk.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-27-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Very nice. A stable mic stand is essential for peace of mind once one makes the investment into a quality microphone. I hope it serves you well for many years.

I learned a lesson when my Blue Kiwi took a header. I was using those cheap tripod boom stands that sell for around $50 everywhere. In response I bought a straight stand with a cast iron bottom... not expensive but a lot more stable.

When I bought my Flea 47, I bought a Ultimate Support MC-125. The base must weigh near about 30 pounds and I like that it's on casters. When Sweetwater had the stand on clearance for $150, I bought a second. I also have an Atlas Sound MS25 straight stand that has a quite hefty base. I gave away all my cheap stands. They're just not worth the risk.

Ya I considered both of those options and likely would have been happy . But decided this time to go all out was in order.
And neither my wife or I, are against spending some of our kids inheritance
BTW your photo is not coming thru on my laptop.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-27-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not sure why. I can see it from my end. Probably just some glitch.

YouTube
Old 02-27-2021, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ya I considered both of those options and likely would have been happy . But decided this time to go all out was in order.
And neither my wife or I, are against spending some of our kids inheritance
I just took a look at some reviews of the Latch Lake lineup. Your stand is impressive. The ease of operation is definitely appealing.

YouTube
Old 02-28-2021, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I just took a look at some reviews of the Latch Lake lineup. Your stand is impressive. The ease of operation is definitely appealing.
Ya once you find the tension adjustment you want (which is simply tightening or loosing the lever lock thumb screws, which is also easy) in work flow it is very quick and easy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-13-2022, 12:38 AM

Hi Kev!

Sorry I am late to this party, but I received my new Latch Lake 2200 a few days ago. I gotta say, pictures really don’t do justice to this stand! They are very heavy duty, well made, and stable. I got tired of trying to balance and stabilize the standard type tripod stands with the heavier mics. Each part of the stand is very well engineered and well thought out. It doesn’t seem out of place at all in my recording space. Probably the best mic stand available. I chose the chrome version, which looks very classy! I plan to add a boom attachment and another spin grip. So, upon receiving it, and every time I look at it, I am completely amazed! One cool feature is the way they design it to handle securing the mic cable along each latch point. Ingenious! Good choice!

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 01-13-2022 at 04:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD