The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes I use them but just for pedal board

I am guessing the 30% claim is suede shoe artist nonsense or self delusion.

That said :
Actually they are located in California (link below) and offer factory direct sales (so US distribution is as good as it gets) . I used their Monorail signal cable and SIS connectors to custom wire my pedal board. That product is fairly expensive ($2.95 per ft. for cables,,, $7.95 per screw on solderless 1/4 inch connectors) .
Hi KW

Have you actually worked out how much you've spent on patch cables there? At a glance, and using your numbers unless I've misunderstood, we're looking at about:

02.95 (min)
-------
18.85 (x 9) = $169.65

Am I missing something?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Hi KW

Have you actually worked out how much you've spent on patch cables there? At a glance, and using your numbers unless I've misunderstood, we're looking at about:

02.95 (min)
-------
18.85 (x 9) = $169.65

Am I missing something?
Huumm,,, more than that actually almost double . Remember in my loop switched pedal board , each pedal is on an (isolated) parallel individual loop circuit, so 4 connectors and 2 cables per pedal And all cables have to go from the pedal back to the 8 loop switcher at the bottom of the board so the ones towards the top are 13-14 inches then incrementally less closer to the bottom ...Also the shot of the bottom wiring is before I added the Karma dive pedal so two more ft long cables ,,,

27 connectors @ $7.95 = 214.65
And 12ft of cable @ $2.95 = 29.50.
Total $244.15

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-25-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Hi KW

02.95 (min)
-------
18.85 (x 9) = $169.65

Am I missing something?
Pedalboard cabling is not cheap for sure. Even the prepackaged Planet Waves cable kits with 10' of cabling and 10 plugs is over $100 here in Canada. I think I spent close to $700 on my one board.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
now wouldn't be a good time to bring up those $50 Guitaria Wireless units you can order on Amazon would it??

I've got one. Didn't remember to unplug when I wasn't playing, so 3 hours later the battery power died instantly! There was no noticeable signal degradation (Mackie board, Alto speakers, noisy bar - who cares?!)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-25-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Huumm,,, more than that actually almost double . Remember in my loop switched pedal board , each pedal is on an (isolated) parallel individual loop circuit, so 4 connectors and 2 cables per pedal And all cables have to go from the pedal back to the 8 loop switcher at the bottom of the board so the ones towards the top are 13-14 inches then incrementally less closer to the bottom ...Also the shot of the bottom wiring is before I added the Karma dive pedal so two more ft long cables ,,,

27 connectors @ $7.95 = 214.65
And 12ft of cable @ $2.95 = 29.50.
Total $244.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Pedalboard cabling is not cheap for sure. Even the prepackaged Planet Waves cable kits with 10' of cabling and 10 plugs is over $100 here in Canada. I think I spent close to $700 on my one board.
Lads, I think we can come to some kind of arrangement here. I'm not sure I couldn't run you all up some nice Klotz/Neutrik patch leads that will last you a lifetime and deliver them by hand from the UK, take in a show with the wife and still have change for chips when I get back.

Surely this is madness.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lads, I think we can come to some kind of arrangement here. I'm not sure I couldn't run you all up some nice Klotz/Neutrik patch leads that will last you a lifetime and deliver them by hand from the UK, take in a show with the wife and still have change for chips when I get back.

Surely this is madness.
I realize you're probably posting a bit "tongue in cheek". But of course "madness" is definitely in the eye of the beholder. But gyrating around in attempt to save a few dollars is not only quite prevalent in the collective mind set, yet can sometimes be little more than a fools errand

For one thing the suitable a Neutrik is not only $4.26 per, connector but is way bulkier to try to fit into a tight organized pedal board situation like I have.
And then of course you have to mess around with soldering up 27 connectors which is no way near as quick, clean, or convenient as SIS (Screw In Solderless) 27 connectors

https://www.markertek.com/product/np...xoC94wQAvD_BwE

And while the equivalent cabling of Klotz is certainly seems way cheaper per foot @ , at aprox $1.00 per foot it would have to shipped from UK to US which increases the price per foot, AND it is also bulkier to try to configure

https://www.studiospares.com/klotz-ac110-high-end-guitar-cable_544590.htm

Klotz/Neutrik---Pricing

27 Connectors @ $4.26 = $115.02
12 ft of cable @ $ 1.00 = $12.00 + shipping

Total ... $127.02 (about $100 cheaper) BUT you have not even started to factor in soldering time which is going to take I am guessing 2-4 times as long as the Evidence Audio "Screw In " type (and will be no more reliable) and you have not yet shipped them .....

So NO , unless your time is worth nothing, the reality is there may be little actual savings for all the flailing around trying to save some money, and one could be simply be shooting oneself in the foot (which might actually be the definition of "madness"). jusss sayin'.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-26-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I realize you're probably posting a bit "tongue in cheek".

Absolutely!

I still think you're all mad, it couldn't possibly be me.

In *some* seriousness, there are certain aspects of my own life to which I pay scrupulous, possibly unwarranted, care and attention much to the amusement of my wife and kids so I have no issue with other people choosing to do the same in any area that has meaning for them.

Except for the Magic Beans people of course, they are beyond help.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Absolutely!

I still think you're all mad, it couldn't possibly be me.
Well this is a guitar forum

But maybe there is only one pedal, and 2 cheap guitar cables really needed ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification