The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2021, 05:23 PM

Default RainSong V-DR1100N2 vs H-DR1100N2

I sold my V-DR1100N2 due to money issues late last year. I missed the versatility. Since another one is out of my price range, I decided to try a H-DR1100N2. I got one used at a good price and it arrived today.

I can tell you they sound very similar, which should be no surprise. I think the spruce on the V-DR softens some of the treble and makes it sound a little more wood like. I think the H-DR may be a touch louder, but it's very hard to say because I am going by memory.

One downside with this new guitar is the fact that I have been down to one 6 string for months and have been playing it exclusively. Since it's a really nice Martin, I am not as impressed with the RainSong this go around. I have a few days to decide if I want to keep it.

I'm on the fence. I'm also thinking it's an impossible problem to solve. There may be no carbon fiber instrument that serves as a stand in substitute for your favorite wooden guitar. I suppose it's just a matter of necessity and sacrifices one is willing to make for ease of maintenance and stability.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I sold my V-DR1100N2 due to money issues late last year. I missed the versatility. Since another one is out of my price range, I decided to try a H-DR1100N2. I got one used at a good price and it arrived today.

I can tell you they sound very similar, which should be no surprise. I think the spruce on the V-DR softens some of the treble and makes it sound a little more wood like. I think the H-DR may be a touch louder, but it's very hard to say because I am going by memory.

One downside with this new guitar is the fact that I have been down to one 6 string for months and have been playing it exclusively. Since it's a really nice Martin, I am not as impressed with the RainSong this go around. I have a few days to decide if I want to keep it.

I'm on the fence. I'm also thinking it's an impossible problem to solve. There may be no carbon fiber instrument that serves as a stand in substitute for your favorite wooden guitar. I suppose it's just a matter of necessity and sacrifices one is willing to make for ease of maintenance and stability.
I would agree wholeheartedly. I happen to really like CF tone (especially the OF660) but I love the tone of a well built solid wood guitar much more. There is room for both if you are not turned off by new age materials but I wouldn't set your expectations too high. I like the tone of RainSong guitars, especially with the right strings, but it's really horses for courses. It will never sound like that Martin...it just won't. Where CF shines is the ability to take it literally anywhere, worry free, and the fact you can mold them to be much more ergonomically aware. Martin knows how to build guitars and even their cheaper lines sound great. They've been doing it for almost 200 years
Old 02-22-2021, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I agree with you, I recently picked up a Martin 000-18 and it has just blown me away with that tone. My CF guitars have moved down the pole a notch. I still love them and like you said, they certainly have their place, it truly is a Wood AND CF thing and not a Wood OR CF thing. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Having previously owned an H-DR1100N2 and now the owner of a V-DR1100N2, I'd tend to agree that the Vintage is a touch warmer than the H. Don't get me wrong, if I'd never owned my Vintage, I'd still own an H but it's just different enough that I wouldn't want to go back. The first Vintage was shipped to Ted & Helene at LA Guitar Sales, and that's the one I purchased so I suppose I have some sort of standing as having owned one longer than anyone in the world. It's given me the opportunity to get pretty well acquainted with it, and while I don't think that the differences can account for the price difference between the V and the H, there is a tonal difference between the two. I don't believe that a Vintage gets a wood tone from the thin layer of spruce, but I think that the layer of spruce subdues the top's vibrations somewhat...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-22-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Having previously owned an H-DR1100N2 and now the owner of a V-DR1100N2, I'd tend to agree that the Vintage is a touch warmer than the H. Don't get me wrong, if I'd never owned my Vintage, I'd still own an H but it's just different enough that I wouldn't want to go back. The first Vintage was shipped to Ted & Helene at LA Guitar Sales, and that's the one I purchased so I suppose I have some sort of standing as having owned one longer than anyone in the world. It's given me the opportunity to get pretty well acquainted with it, and while I don't think that the differences can account for the price difference between the V and the H, there is a tonal difference between the two. I don't believe that a Vintage gets a wood tone from the thin layer of spruce, but I think that the layer of spruce subdues the top's vibrations somewhat...
That's a good perspective. I agree with your description of the Vintage. I think the spruce veneer also makes you feel like you might be playing a wooden guitar.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I agree with you, I recently picked up a Martin 000-18 and it has just blown me away with that tone. My CF guitars have moved down the pole a notch. I still love them and like you said, they certainly have their place, it truly is a Wood AND CF thing and not a Wood OR CF thing. Good luck with your decision.
Very good. I like AND!
Old 02-22-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I would agree wholeheartedly. I happen to really like CF tone (especially the OF660) but I love the tone of a well built solid wood guitar much more. There is room for both if you are not turned off by new age materials but I wouldn't set your expectations too high. I like the tone of RainSong guitars, especially with the right strings, but it's really horses for courses. It will never sound like that Martin...it just won't. Where CF shines is the ability to take it literally anywhere, worry free, and the fact you can mold them to be much more ergonomically aware. Martin knows how to build guitars and even their cheaper lines sound great. They've been doing it for almost 200 years
You make a good point. One thing I really like about carbon guitars is the neck. The RainSong and McPherson carbon guitars have the best necks out there for my hands. So, I am drawn to them for playing and comfort. It would be wonderful if they did sound more organic, but they are different materials with different sounds. Nonetheless, they do sound like good guitars.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:31 AM

Quote:

Put some new strings on the Rainsong.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-23-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a good perspective. I agree with your description of the Vintage. I think the spruce veneer also makes you feel like you might be playing a wooden guitar.
Or... it might make you feel that others think you are playing a wood guitar. I tend to chuckle a bit to myself when anything brand spankin' new gets the "vintage" moniker.

Don't get me wrong - I like the veneer. And, I guess "Vintage" is better than "Hey, look - RainSong made a Martin!" Yes, I know: back to my corner.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Put some new strings on the Rainsong.
I did last night. Made a huge difference. The stock strings really suck don't they? lol
Old 02-23-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Or... it might make you feel that others think you are playing a wood guitar. I tend to chuckle a bit to myself when anything brand spankin' new gets the "vintage" moniker.

Don't get me wrong - I like the veneer. And, I guess "Vintage" is better than "Hey, look - RainSong made a Martin!" Yes, I know: back to my corner.
Indeed. Making the guitars look more organic seems to have been a popular marketing strategy. It also seems to allow them to charge quite a bit more because of the additional labor required.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:47 PM

The neck adjustment made the biggest difference. This came to me with the truss rod fully pegged flat. I got it back to 0.009" at the 7th and it sounds WAY more like a guitar. Actually quite nice in terms of power and growl. I'd say it's in Gibson territory.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I have a RainSong H-OM, and even though I have a wood guitar or two that sound "better", the OM gets the most play. And I usually like bigger guitars. The biggest difference is that I can leave it out. And it sounds lovely! I have a Black Ice, and the H sounds better. For me, the H series is the sweet spot out of all of the RainSong models I have played. I haven't played a Vintage, and am sure I'd love it (if they made the dread with a cutaway, I'd have bought it...or would have had an H dread cutaway), but the H really ticks all the boxes for me in terms of warmth and volume. And the wood guitars go without nearly as much love.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

If I had to whittle my small collection down to just a single guitar that lone instrument would be either my V-DR1100N2 or a H-DR1100N2...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-24-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
If I had to whittle my small collection down to just a single guitar that lone instrument would be either my V-DR1100N2 or a H-DR1100N2...
That's quite an endorsement for from somebody who has tried/sold a few.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber