The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-18-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashi63 View Post
measured the new X7 with pinless bridge and there is a difference. 4 7/16. I think it is because the new bridge doesn't have that point at the bottom. Scale length is the same. Finally got plowed out - that was the first thing I did when I got to the office!
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I had plowing included in a winter rental in Alaska a few years ago - had 7' in the front yard. Man, the weather is brutal. Stay safe.

I thought I'd post my conceptual specs for the group to hack on. I'm not a fan of the pinless bridge, but mostly because I'm traditional. It may well be better.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:26 PM

The pinless bridge is different, neither better nor worse. You will need to keep one spare bridge pin handy (or a golf tee, or a small dowel) to hold the ball end in place, until there is enough tension on the string to keep it against the internal shelf. The dowel goes in at a 45° angle BTW. That means mounting and tensioning each string individually. It is just a slightly modified process. (I had been in the habit of installing all six strings at the bridge first, then threading each one into a tuner post and tightening it in sequence. With the pinless bridge, you need to do one string at a time). I could happily go either way, and have both now.

And you won't get to play the "which bridge pin sounds better" game.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
And you won't get to play the "which bridge pin sounds better" game.
Then what could guitar geeks argue about?
Old 02-18-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
.....I had plowing included in a winter rental in Alaska a few years ago - had 7' in the front yard. Man, the weather is brutal.
When we escaped from NorCal to Anchorage, that first winter dumped a near-record 124" of snow on us (instead of the typical 75") and there was not a snowblower to be had at any price. Our 6 foot cedar fence was barely sticking out of the compressed snowpack by March. I was much younger then and used a Yooper Scooper to clear the driveway, sometimes removing a foot or more twice in a day. You can bet that I bought a big snowblower the next August on the first day they appeared in stores. Fool me once.... That next winter we only got a tiny amount of snow, maybe 30". Best $600 I ever spent.

We moved our cats (California girls) up with us, and they were NOT amused by winter. I'll never forget our Siamese who desperately wanted to go outside. You'd open the front door for her, and she would turn away in disgust at the snow and cold. Then she would run right to the back door - like the weather was somehow better in the back yard. The minds of kitties.

Around Boise, people still talk about the 2015-2016 "Snowmageddon", when the area got a total of 40" of snow that whole winter. A few storms left major 6" dumps, which were inconvenient and messy. The down side for us is the numerous 100°+ July-August days, which really hurt us acclimated Alaskans for several years. We are somewhat better adapted to the heat now.

Back to your regular X7 programming..... sorry for the digression.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Probably isn't an act. A lockdown is a significant impact on a small business. I don't have any info on their growth as a company, but not having your normal workforce at your place of business in a specialized product line like carbon fiber instruments is sure to make a difference. A bit of patience is in order.
Hey Jim. Yes, agreed. I didn't intent to imply that their responses were anything but genuine (that they were "acting"). Yes, covid is obviously highly disruptive especially with key employees displaced from the factory to their homes.

I did receive a good response (with pictures!) on my question from Emerald and intend to order a custom.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
Hey Jim. Yes, agreed. I didn't intent to imply that their responses were anything but genuine (that they were "acting"). Yes, covid is obviously highly disruptive especially with key employees displaced from the factory to their homes.

I did receive a good response (with pictures!) on my question from Emerald and intend to order a custom.
Good to know that the customer service Emerald is known for continues, even in lockdown. Wish you all the best with your order.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber