The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Last ES-2 revision?

Does anyone know the exact date of the last Taylor ES-2 revision?
Old 02-17-2021, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Does anyone know the exact date of the last Taylor ES-2 revision?
I don't have an exact date but I know that late 2016 was a time when there was a change in the ES2 preamp, and there may have been another change in 2018 or 2019. For example, my January 2016 serial-numbered Taylor 614ce, and, my now-traded-in September 2016 serial-numbered Taylor GS Mini-e Koa still had the full-size ES2 preamp (what I term the real ES2 preamp) but my May serial-numbered 2019 Taylor 717e has the smaller architecture, lower-powered ES2 preamp. If you buy a new Taylor with the smaller ES2 preamp and want the "real" ES2 preamp, just email Taylor with the registered guitar's serial-number and tell them you want the full-size ES2 preamp from 2015 or early 2016 and they'll send you one.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-17-2021, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I don't have an exact date but I know that late 2016 was a time when there was a change in the ES2 preamp, and there may have been another change in 2018 or 2019. For example, my January 2016 serial-numbered Taylor 614ce, and, my now-traded-in September 2016 serial-numbered Taylor GS Mini-e Koa still had the full-size ES2 preamp (what I term the real ES2 preamp) but my May serial-numbered 2019 Taylor 717e has the smaller architecture, lower-powered ES2 preamp. If you buy a new Taylor with the smaller ES2 preamp and want the "real" ES2 preamp, just email Taylor with the registered guitar's serial-number and tell them you want the full-size ES2 preamp from 2015 or early 2016 and they'll send you one.
Thanks. Actually I would want the smaller size one as I remember they reduced the low end (I can’t recall exactly what they did). Do they send new preamps out for free or is there a charge?
Old 02-17-2021, 04:08 PM

If I recall the voicing and the gain were lowered. I have a Taylor 12 string from 2018?, and it has the smaller preamp. The gain at full is just slightly higher than a passive K&K for reference.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. Actually I would want the smaller size one as I remember they reduced the low end (I can’t recall exactly what they did). Do they send new preamps out for free or is there a charge?
Taylor sent me an earlier ES2 Preamp for free.

As Dave mentioned they lowered the output as a means, I believe, to reduce the string squeak that was prevalent on the more powerful ES2 preamps. I had the new 2013 516e FLTD that featured the debut of the ES2 system and the output from that sucker could power a small city! It picked up every nuance from the strings and body, including excessively amplifyng finger-squeak on the strings. The ES2 from my now-gone 2014 Taylor 814ce seemed a little less powerful. So, given Dave's input, it looks like sometime in 2017 or 2018 would have held the introduction of the smaller ES2 preamp.

The smaller ES2 preamp sounds very good and my only beef is that it is somewhat less powerful than the earlier versions. I noticed that I had to either crank the smaller Taylor's ES2's Volume a bit more or adjust the gain on an amp or PA speaker higher. Frankly, this shouldn't really be a practical issue for most players as it's just my reaction to having more output on the earlier ES2 preamps compared to the smaller new ES2 preamp.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-17-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:50 PM

The ES2 in my guitar was swapped in November 2017, before a show I did for Taylor Europe. Summer 2018 I got a new preamp for my guitar from the guys at the Taylor workshop in Amsterdam. Of other than these updates I'm not aware. I can ask the guys at the workshop, if thete were any other updates of the ES2. They might know, because the cable of every version of the ES2 has a different color.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
The ES2 in my guitar was swapped in November 2017, before a show I did for Taylor Europe. Summer 2018 I got a new preamp for my guitar from the guys at the Taylor workshop in Amsterdam. Of other than these updates I'm not aware. I can ask the guys at the workshop, if thete were any other updates of the ES2. They might know, because the cable of every version of the ES2 has a different color.
I’d love to have a full list of changes.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:

As Dave mentioned they lowered the output as a means, I believe, to reduce the string squeak that was prevalent on the more powerful ES2 preamps. I had the new 2013 516e FLTD that featured the debut of the ES2 system and the output from that sucker could power a small city! It picked up every nuance from the strings and body, including excessively amplifyng finger-squeak on the strings. The ES2 from my now-gone 2014 Taylor 814ce seemed a little less powerful. So, given Dave's input, it looks like sometime in 2017 or 2018 would have held the introduction of the smaller ES2 preamp.

The smaller ES2 preamp sounds very good and my only beef is that it is somewhat less powerful than the earlier versions. I noticed that I had to either crank the smaller Taylor's ES2's Volume a bit more or adjust the gain on an amp or PA speaker higher. Frankly, this shouldn't really be a practical issue for most players as it's just my reaction to having more output on the earlier ES2 preamps compared to the smaller new ES2 preamp.
I thought the preamp on my 2014 Taylor 816CE (which I really miss) was prefect. The new ones are a little quiet and you need to turn the gain most of the way up.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I thought the preamp on my 2014 Taylor 816CE (which I really miss) was prefect. The new ones are a little quiet and you need to turn the gain most of the way up.
Having to turn the gain up is not ‘cool’ but has never been a practical issue for me. I do remember the last one I played was better for it. I’d like to know the full history if anyone has access to it.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I also had a 2014 Taylor 812ce 12-Fret that sounded great both acoustically and plugged-in. It had, like my 2014 Taylor 814ce, a good balance of ES2 power vs. tone, including greatly-reduced finger-squeak. Both guitars found nice homes with regionally-located AGF members.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-23-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Taylor sent me the newer preamp for free when I called them to report the issues that you mentioned above. I really didn’t like the ES2. Is was so harsh and hot and picked up too much string noise. Much happier since changing them out!

Taylor 714ce (V-Class Bracing)
Taylor 612ce (Andy Powers X-braced)
Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Taylor Solidbody Standard Electric
Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Started recording cover songs in 2020 for lonely family & friends.

https://youtube.com/user/DakotaDrummer2
Old 02-23-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Having to turn the gain up is not ‘cool’ but has never been a practical issue for me. I do remember the last one I played was better for it. I’d like to know the full history if anyone has access to it.
Taylor may provide the information if you call them. I have had good communications with them by phone and email. If you get the info, please post. I would be interested in learning about the history of the different iterations, what was changed and when. Seems like they keep it hush-hush and only give the new pick ups out to people who complain about their pickups.

Taylor 714ce (V-Class Bracing)
Taylor 612ce (Andy Powers X-braced)
Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Taylor Solidbody Standard Electric
Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Started recording cover songs in 2020 for lonely family & friends.

https://youtube.com/user/DakotaDrummer2
Old 02-25-2021, 03:38 AM

Quote:
I’d love to have a full list of changes.
Not a complete list of changes, but a valid answer:

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your questions.

Last change to the ES2 preamp happened on September 1st, 2016.
The previous version (REV D) had a bit more emphasis on the midrange and higher output.

The current version, which we see as an improvement, has lower output when compared to the previous version making the guitar a bit less inclined to feedback and the eq (voicing) is more balanced.

Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Customer Service Representative

Maroastraat 113

1060 LG Amsterdam, The Netherlands

+31 20 667 .. ..

taylorguitars.com
Old 02-25-2021, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
Not a complete list of changes, but a valid answer:

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your questions.

Last change to the ES2 preamp happened on September 1st, 2016.
The previous version (REV D) had a bit more emphasis on the midrange and higher output.

The current version, which we see as an improvement, has lower output when compared to the previous version making the guitar a bit less inclined to feedback and the eq (voicing) is more balanced.

Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Customer Service Representative

Maroastraat 113

1060 LG Amsterdam, The Netherlands

+31 20 667 .. ..

taylorguitars.com
Thanks, Stringbound! Let me state that the ES2 preamp in my now-traded 2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa (Serial Number late-September 2016) was the full-size architecture ES2 preamp. I'm assuming September 1, 2016, was when the smaller-architecture ES2 preamp was released. Likely, my GS Mini-e Koa was using one of the remainders of the previous, full-size ES2 preamps as Taylor was phasing in the smaller-architecture ES2 preamps in their guitars sometime during and after September 2016.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification