The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2021, 12:18 AM

Default Who actually owns a Custom Shop Fender?

How many of you own Fender Custom Shop guitars? if you own one, what do you honestly think of it? Are they worth buying?
Old 02-12-2021, 02:35 AM

I have a 2005 NOS sonic blue 1961 strat, which I bought second hand for about 2,300€ or $2,500. I would not have bought it new, and I was lucky that it had the exact specification, including colour, that I wanted. Quality of build, feel and sound is very close to the 1962 sonic blue strat I had many years ago. It was definitely worth it for me, and I play it a lot - almost as much as my 2016 Ibanez 2619 Artist Prestige (MIJ)

Last edited by Ray175; 02-13-2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:49 AM

I too have a second hand one .Mine too was about £2300.
It is a lush closet classic ,and whoever owed it before certainly looked after it. I wouldn’t by one new unless you wanted one built to your own
personal specifications.
It certainly has a quality feel to it as opposed to my other ‘run of the mill’ guitars that I own .
Old 02-12-2021, 04:44 AM

as long as one understands the neck profile, they ae great guitars

if you don't like vintage frets and neck radius, don't buy a custom shop reissue, you won't get a long with it.

I had a gorgeous 57 time machine strat, I could not get past the small frets and the time period correct neck radius.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnicol View Post
I too have a second hand one .Mine too was about £2300.
It is a lush closet classic ,and whoever owed it before certainly looked after it. I wouldn’t by one new unless you wanted one built to your own
personal specifications.
It certainly has a quality feel to it as opposed to my other ‘run of the mill’ guitars that I own .
Man that's beautiful, I'm guessing sea foam green like the one I own.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:01 AM

I have three, but they were acquired before the prices went up.
Very nice guitars...but for the same amount of bucks I would be tempted to try something else like a Suhr.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:15 AM

I don't own a CS Fender guitar, but I did buy an '07 Fender '57 AVRI Strat which is spec'd like a CS, and is right under CS quality.

I found it in a pawnshop a few years ago for $400.

I think I paid what I feel it's worth in my opinion, and I'd NEVER pay the going market rate.

I only bought it because I knew it was an AVRI.

I don't play the guitar at all, as I can't get along with the 7.25 radius, the small vintage frets, and the very sticky neck.

It's been a case queen since I bought it.

I'll eventually sell it, but I'm going to wait a few years since I'm in no hurry.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 02-12-2021, 08:15 AM

I have 3 CS Fenders. All bought in the late 80's and early 90's. According to the "Custom Shop" book, they are the first 3 models produced in multiples. Paid way less then compared to the current CS pricing. Currently, I'm lusting after a relic CS Nocaster or Broadcaster. I won't pay $3,500 or more for a new one. I'd pay $2,500 or less for a used one.
  • 40th Anniversary Telecaster in tobacco sunburst.
  • 35th Anniversary Stratocaster.
  • HLE tri-gold Strat.

they are fantastic guitars. the tri-gold is my most used electric. Played in bands and used a lot for recording.

In addition, I have 3 Andersons that get a lot of playing time. I would say they are comparable in build, playability, etc.

My first Fender was a new 1980 black strat. Weighs a ton and is not really fun to play. I bought that in the depths of Fender's downturn. That's why I don't play the stock market.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
I have 3 CS Fenders. All bought in the late 80's and early 90's. According to the "Custom Shop" book, they are the first 3 models produced in multiples. Paid way less then compared to the current CS pricing. Currently, I'm lusting after a relic CS Nocaster or Broadcaster. I won't pay $3,500 or more for a new one. I'd pay $2,500 or less for a used one.
  • 40th Anniversary Telecaster in tobacco sunburst.
  • 35th Anniversary Stratocaster.
  • HLE tri-gold Strat.

they are fantastic guitars. the tri-gold is my most used electric. Played in bands and used a lot for recording.

In addition, I have 3 Andersons that get a lot of playing time. I would say they are comparable in build, playability, etc.

My first Fender was a new 1980 black strat. Weighs a ton and is not really fun to play. I bought that in the depths of Fender's downturn. That's why I don't play the stock market.
Wow. I also bought all 3 of those same guitars. Unfortunately , I only have the HLE left. I bought that one as a gift to my son who also was born in 1989. Luckily, he learned to play guitar and still uses it.

I recently saw my old 35 anniversary strat on Reverb.com beings sold by a dealer. I recognized the serial # and almost bought it back. It was one of the early quilted maple ones.

Last edited by Bluside; 02-12-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:01 AM

Small world Bluside! Here's my 35th. Also flamed maple.

It's funny that the least fancy of the three (the HLE) is my favorite and the one you still have. I changed the gold anodized pickguard out for the white one that came with it. Gold one is still in the case.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I assume (but do not know for certain) made in the custom shop
I have a Fender Limited Edition Telecaster 90 Guitar, Blackwood Top, Flamed Maple Fret Board .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-12-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Very small world! I used to have 3 of the 35th anniv strats, still have one...

Also had a 40th anniv tele in natural, unique because they forgot to drill the top for one of the screw holes for the control plate.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

I had a 1997 Fender Custom Shop '58 Reissue Stratocaster. That was back when prices were fairly accessible.

Certainly was a decent guitar, very nice neck and good quality build. I don't remember what I paid (used) but it was most likely in the mid teens. I see that same guitar now advertised for $3k to $4k.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I have three, but they were acquired before the prices went up.
Very nice guitars...but for the same amount of bucks I would be tempted to try something else like a Suhr.
Great point. Fender Custom Shop makes some great guitars but it's worth checking out the competition at that price point too, like Suhr.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I assume (but do not know for certain) made in the custom shop
I have a Fender Limited Edition Telecaster 90 Guitar, Blackwood Top, Flamed Maple Fret Board .

Although it's a great looking and most likely great sounding guitar, I'm pretty sure that is not a custom shop guitar. Typically the neck plate and back of the neck will identify custom shop guitars. I remember getting a newsletter from Fender USA about these guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars