The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2021, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campro View Post
Hi, Bill. Thanks for sharing your comments. I'm looking at both the Tonedexter and the Baggs Voiceprint and I'm leaning towards the Baggs due to its smaller size and its EQ capabilities. I have an Emerald X20 with a Baggs Anthem and a Martin with a K&K pure mini. I would like to know how the K&K behaves with the VP. How does the K&K in your Yairi get along with the Voiceprint? Do you need to run anything before the VP to act as a buffer due to the impedance mismatch between the K&K's 1 Meg Ohm and the VP's 2.2 Meg Ohm input or isn't it a problem? I would prefer to be able to plug straight into the VP and have less stuff to haul around and take up less space.
Last but not least, is it possible to use the EQ function on the VP without an associated voiceprint activated? Thanks ahead of time for your answer.
It’s not a mismatch and if there is a touch of extra bass than a DI with 1megohm it doesn’t matter as the voiceprint and anti feedback will more than compensate for it. It works really well with the Anthem and the K&K in my experience. It’s off to a great start and I look forward to see where LR Baggs take it.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:28 PM

I agree with Aaron. The K&K in the Yairi sounds great through the LR Baggs Voiceprint. I do take advantage of the Voiceprint’s extensive EQ controls as well as the dB boost and pad functions to get various guitars to sound great. Honestly I have not spent as much time with the Yairi/K&K because I love my carbon fibers so much.
1983 Yairi DY85a
Composite Acoustics GX
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Emerald X-20 Opus Red
Emerald X-30 Padauk
Gibson ES-339
PRS SE Hollow Body II Piezo
Fender FSR Telecaster
Godin Exit 22 with Fishman TriplePlay MIDI
Ibanez Mikro Bass
Vintage V74 Icon Fretless Jazz Bass
Spector Timbre Jr. Acoustic Bass
Old 02-21-2021, 02:07 PM

For those who have used the Voiceprint, how is the background noise? I have read a few reviews where people have pointed out that the hiss level increases once the Voiceprint is generated/blended in.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
For those who have used the Voiceprint, how is the background noise? I have read a few reviews where people have pointed out that the hiss level increases once the Voiceprint is generated/blended in.
I have not noticed it. If it adds trebles then it may raise the noise floor slightly as any increase in treble does. I’m fussy about this stuff and I have no problem with it.

Mine does have a slight interference noise in the background but I have spoken to other users and there’s does not do it and I only notice it when wearing headphones and it’s at maximum volume.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I have not noticed it. If it adds trebles then it may raise the noise floor slightly as any increase in treble does. I’m fussy about this stuff and I have no problem with it.

Mine does have a slight interference noise in the background but I have spoken to other users and there’s does not do it and I only notice it when wearing headphones and it’s at maximum volume.
That's great thanks! The treble part makes sense for sure, I just hate unwanted noise. I am still deciding on if I want to try the Voiceprint or just make my Tonedexter work. For my main gigging guitar, I am kind of at the point where I just want a standard UST paired with either the Tonedexter, Aura or Voiceprint.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info., people, that's good to know. Can you turn off a particular voiceprint and still use the other functions of the unit (EQ, Notch)?
Old 02-21-2021, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campro View Post
Thanks for the info., people, that's good to know. Can you turn off a particular voiceprint and still use the other functions of the unit (EQ, Notch)?
Yes you can.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:51 AM

Default LR Baggs Voiceprint

The anthem tends to pick up less body taps for percussive playing - wondering if something like the voiceprint will help to bring these percussive playing back into the mix?
Old 02-26-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
The anthem tends to pick up less body taps for percussive playing - wondering if something like the voiceprint will help to bring these percussive playing back into the mix?
How? It's justing creating an IR. It's a more realistic/natural tone but it won't add in body percussion if the pickup doesn't already do that.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
How? It's justing creating an IR. It's a more realistic/natural tone but it won't add in body percussion if the pickup doesn't already do that.

Ok thanks .. there is a faint percussive sound from the anthem , just wondering if something like the voiceprint can accentuate that.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Ok thanks .. there is a faint percussive sound from the anthem , just wondering if something like the voiceprint can accentuate that.
Unfortunately no but that would be cool, especially for people who use UST pickups.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately no but that would be cool, especially for people who use UST pickups.

Ok , thanks for the info!
Old 03-01-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Even when the Anthem is in the full mic position, the mic circuit is designed so that it will only pick up the frequencies from around 250 Hz and up. That's why it doesn't have nearly as much response to tapping as the Lyric system which is designed to pick up the full range of frequencies.

The plus factor for the Voiceprint is that it can likely enable louder tapping (if needed) from your choice of soundboard pickup or full frequency mic. That's because the anti-feedback circuitry is designed to eliminate the most feedback prone frequencies (for your particular instrument) without rolling off the entire low end.

It should be mentioned that ToneDexter's updated software offers the same type of anti-feedback feature. I can't speculate on which system works better. but the fact that the ToneDexter folks have followed the Baggs lead does provide some evidence that this type of anti-feedback system does indeed have merit.

Last edited by guitaniac; 03-01-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
It should be mentioned that ToneDexter's updated software offers the same type of anti-feedback feature. I can't speculate on which system works better. but the fact that the ToneDexter folks have followed the Baggs lead does provide some evidence that this type of anti-feedback system does indeed have merit.
What ToneDexter has implemented, dual IRs, one for <400 Hz and another for >400 Hz is quite different from what the original ToneDexter did (place some parametric EQ on peaks) and what Baggs Voiceprint presumably does now.

I think ToneDexter 2.x is a very nice step up with some, at least for now, unique features.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-01-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:26 PM

Hi Jon,

Here's James May's quote from the version 2 software discussion. ToneDexter's anti-feedback control is dealing with resonance peeks below 300 Hz here. The impressive thing to me is that the reduction follows the shape of the peak waves so well. I'm not sure that the Baggs system can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Almost. It's more sophisticated than that. The low end resonance profile is learned during training. Whatever is peaky below about 440Hz. It's not just one frequency but typically is several an an acoustic flat top guitar. And, it's not just the frequencies but also the exact shapes that are learned. Some are narrow, some are broad.

Below is a graph of the measured response through ToneDexter showing the low end resonance profile of my D-18 style Voyage Air. You can see the feedback reduction steps from 0% none, to 100% full in 10% increments. At none, the two main peaks are sticking up 12-13dB. At 100%, they are essentially flattened. With the notch control, you can dial up as little or as much feedback reduction and tone shaping as you need or want.

Attachment 47573

What's mind blowing is how useful this is live. If you're having feedback, turn up the notch dial till it stops. You don't have to hunt and find the offending frequencies. If you aren't having feedback issues, then adjust to suit your preference in how much of the acoustic guitar bloom you want to hear.

I should add that up until V2.0, this same feedback mitigation was baked into every WaveMap (except those started from slot 22). With V2.0 and going forward, it is no longer baked in, but rather adjustable during live playback. Slot 22 no longer has special significance when creating new WaveMaps.
PS I should also mention that there's an animated version of the anti-feedback graphic on the Audio Sprockets website,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification