The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-16-2020, 06:45 AM

Default NAD... Was ZT Lunchbox Reverb - Anyone try one?

I have previously tried the LB Jr which I liked and the original LB which did not impress me. The new one with reverb sounds pretty good in the two YouTube demos I can find. I've got one backordered at ProAudioStar (12% off MAP which is not too bad considering no inventory anywhere except a few smaller Reverb listings from dealers I'm not familiar with).

Now that I'm playing electric and not getting any younger at 63 the <10 lbs, master volume for light guitar volume control engaged overdrive, and loud enough for a drummer appeals to me.

Has anyone tried one in-person?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-26-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:10 PM

I've read great things about the ZT amps but have never gotten my hands on one to try.

This amp looks interesting:
https://www.positivegrid.com/spark#order-info
Old 08-21-2020, 12:51 PM

I OWN one!

I had it's non-reverb predecessor and loved it too. But when a friend showed up at a loud bar and plugged in his new ZT Lunchbox Reverb (LBR), I was blown away about how great it sounded. SO... I got my order in the next day and received it in March.

How much do I like it? Enough that I sold my beloved '72 Fender Deluxe Reverb with no regrets.

The LBR is under 10 lbs, has GORGEOUS tone, and more power than you'll need for almost any practical situation. It's steel case is bulletproof and they offer a perfect carrying bag for it that you'll want to have also.

On a "10" scale, the ZT Lunchbox Reverb is a "20".

At $399, the amp is the steal of the century. I would have happily paid $1000 plus for mine.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:21 PM

It showed up today from MF. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow...

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-17-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:40 PM

I like the concept but want a 12" speaker.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 08-27-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
It showed up today from MF. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow...

Curious to hear your thoughts on this newer LB Amp, Jon. I had an original LB. I remember thinking tonally it was ok. I did gig it one night into a Marshall 4 12 cabinet and it held it's own on a loud stage.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I like the concept but want a 12" speaker.
IIRC they used to make one - don't know why it was discontinued...
Old 08-27-2020, 02:13 PM

I bought and returned an original Lunch Box when they first came out. It did not sound that good to me. But here is the temptation repeated, this time with reverb! I cancelled the order at ProAudioStar and bought this one from Musicians Friend. After dealing with ProAudioStar's sales tax policy (flat 8% regardless of what it really is), the 8% points at MF put the price pretty close and MF got one in-stock to ship.

As is often the case the marketing gets ahead of reality...9 lbs.?

The QSC CP8 is rated at 124 db SPL and the LBR1 at 123 dB SPL. My wife is working from home and I did not have a chance yet to try it at stage volumes.

At reasonable volumes it compares nicely with the Black Face Deluxe Vibrato Channel plus 63 Spring Reverb running on the HX Stomp into my QSC CP8. Maybe a little less very high end brightness and I did put the LBR1 treble control to 2 o'clock where the Stomp patch is configured with Bass and Treble set to "5".

With my guitar's volume controls set to "8", I have both the HX Stomp and the LBR1 (gain at 12 o'clock) set to give a little distortion for richness when strumming or fingerpicking. Both setups give me a nice sounding light overdrive when I push the guitar volume controls to "10"

The bottom line is it does exactly what I want at half the weight and bulk.

My only criticism is the hiss is louder than the CP8 and while I would never imagine using the CP8 on a desktop, you could. Whereas the LBR could easily sit on a desktop but you wouldn't due to the hiss. No issues sitting on the floor in a quiet room. The bass response might have been tuned for floor placement anyway.

One observation... I like to "burn-in" new electronic toys and the LBR1 runs warm. I am guessing it is a class A-B power amp. Still not any hotter than the HX Stomp with its SHARC DSP.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-28-2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I bought and returned an original Lunch Box when they first came out. It did not sound that good to me. But here is the temptation repeated, this time with reverb! I cancelled the order at ProAudioStar and bought this one from Musicians Friend. After dealing with ProAudioStar's sales tax policy (flat 8% regardless of what it really is), the 8% points at MF put the price pretty close and MF got one in-stock to ship.

As is often the case the marketing gets ahead of reality...

The QSC CP8 is rated at 124 db SPL and the LBR1 at 123 dB SPL. My wife is working from home and I did not have a chance yet to try it at stage volumes.

At reasonable volumes it compares nicely with the Black Face Deluxe Vibrato Channel plus 63 Spring Reverb running on the HX Stomp into my QSC CP8. Maybe a little less very high end brightness and I did put the LBR1 treble control to 2 o'clock where the Stomp patch is configured with Bass and Treble set to "5".

With my guitar's volume controls set to "8", I have both the HX Stomp and the LBR1 (gain at 12 o'clock) set to give a little distortion for richness when strumming or fingerpicking. Both setups give me a nice sounding light overdrive when I push the guitar volume controls to "10"

The bottom line is it does exactly what I want at half the weight and bulk.

My only criticism is the hiss is louder than the CP8 and while I would never imagine using the CP8 on a desktop, you could. Whereas the LBR could easily sit on a desktop but you wouldn't due to the hiss. No issues sitting on the floor in a quiet room. The bass response might have been tuned for floor placement anyway.

One observation... I like to "burn-in" new electronic toys and the LBR1 runs warm. I am guessing it is a class A-B power amp (class-D only wins the power dissipation race with margin at the upper limits of its designed power output). Still not any hotter than the HX Stomp with its SHARC DSP.

Thnx for the review. Still love the compact look of the LBR! How is the reverb? Did not like the original`s reverb.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Thnx for the review. Still love the compact look of the LBR! How is the reverb? Did not like the original`s reverb.
The reverb is first class, though I like to set it on the subtle side. People who like a lot of reverb often have good reason to prefer one over another.

It is a shockingly good sounding amp that covers all the bases. Guitar, cord, and amp in a comfortable single trip with plenty of volume for an aggressive drummer.

Maybe the amp handle could have been less cute and more comfortable...

Jon Fields
Old 08-28-2020, 09:06 AM

So its better than a Boss Katana?
Old 08-28-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G String View Post
So its better than a Boss Katana?
It is better than my Katana Mini, which by the way is pretty good.

I suspect a Katana 50 is going to sound better and be more flexible for 2.5x the weight and 4x the bulk.

I've already got the flexible option covered with my HX Stomp and the QSC CP8.

Jon Fields
Old 10-27-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I OWN one!

I had it's non-reverb predecessor and loved it too. But when a friend showed up at a loud bar and plugged in his new ZT Lunchbox Reverb (LBR), I was blown away about how great it sounded. SO... I got my order in the next day and received it in March.

How much do I like it? Enough that I sold my beloved '72 Fender Deluxe Reverb with no regrets.

The LBR is under 10 lbs, has GORGEOUS tone, and more power than you'll need for almost any practical situation. It's steel case is bulletproof and they offer a perfect carrying bag for it that you'll want to have also.

On a "10" scale, the ZT Lunchbox Reverb is a "20".

At $399, the amp is the steal of the century. I would have happily paid $1000 plus for mine.

So does it sound significantly better than the original one? What’s the difference tone wise?
Old 10-28-2020, 10:23 AM

Used to own one (was my first amp) - it sounded OK - but had a rather loud hum and hiss - so I eventually moved on. Love my Princeton Reverb that I switched to. Also have a Cube 10GX that I use for travel or if I need to use headphones. Don't think I will get another amp.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
So does it sound significantly better than the original one? What’s the difference tone wise?
I did not own them at the same time, but I like the LBR1 and returned the original Lunch Box. I don't think ithe LBR1 compares favorably to a large highly versatile modeling amp, but if you want something compact, light, and loud enough for a drummer that is in the same sonic ballpark as a blackface Fender, then it is great.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars