The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2021, 04:20 PM

Default fret filing

hi; I had my OM28 refretted about 2 years ago. I can still feel the fret ends ,especially this winter! I bought a file for filing down the sides of the frets [watched all the you tube videos on how to do this], I filed for a long time on each fret but they feel the same. Not taking it back to the tech. they are stainless steel frets. Is there a more effiecent way of doing this ? thanks !....PS as you can tell; I 'm not a guitar tech kinda guy
Old 02-21-2021, 04:53 PM

What kind of file did you use? Getting them flush is just the first step, you have to dress the ends to get them smooth.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:56 PM

i tried to copy and paste it but... it was from Stew mac "fret end dressing file" . it takes a long time. Just wondering if there is a "board " type of file. ? thanks.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:35 PM

I use a ba$$tard mill file to flush the ends of the frets with the sides of the fingerboard. I run the file parallel to the strings, along the length of the edge of the fingerboard. Care is required to remove the excess fret end but leave the finish untouched - and the guitar top. This also establishes the bevel angle for the fret ends.

Then one of two small files for rounding the edges of the bevels to knock off the sharp edges, such as the Stew Mac file you mention. It takes a few strokes for each fret to do so.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi; I had my OM28 refretted about 2 years ago. I can still feel the fret ends ,especially this winter! I bought a file for filing down the sides of the frets [watched all the you tube videos on how to do this], I filed for a long time on each fret but they feel the same. Not taking it back to the tech. they are stainless steel frets. Is there a more effiecent way of doing this ? thanks !....PS as you can tell; I 'm not a guitar tech kinda guy
Here's my low / no cost method.

Make sure you do this in the winter when the fret board / neck is at it's minimum dimension. It only takes a few thousandths to make a discernible difference in how the fret ends feel. If you do it in the winter then the fret ends "retract" into the neck / fret board edge until the next seasonal change.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:43 PM

yes that is similiar to the file i have. Its just that it is very time consuming[not that I have anything else to do] but i thought there was a long file ;like a board that i can buy ;or make.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
yes that is similiar to the file i have. Its just that it is very time consuming[not that I have anything else to do] but i thought there was a long file ;like a board that i can buy ;or make.
Watch the video. The file used for truing the fret ends to the board is a 8" single fine cut. (AGF software won't let me use the actual file type name...)

Time consuming? A single cut 8" file requires only a few seconds per stroke and very few strokes to remove protruding fret ends or create end bevels.

Since you have stainless frets it requires a NEW file and a bit more pressure. If you don't get the pressure right you end up dulling the file teeth and have to start with a fresh one. (See how fun ss is to work with?) I dislike stainless frets due to the difficulty of doing anything with them and use strictly EVO wire.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-21-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:14 AM

yeah , i did all this .you are right i probably dulled the file . well, now i dislike ss too.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:47 AM

The file you bought is a specialty file designed for rounding the end of the bead and it does that job very well. Flushing the fret end with the edge of the fingerboard comes first and for that you want a regular file (used carefully).

SS wire is notorious for chewing up files and cutters, since your fret dressing file is not diamond, it very likely is croaked. Now you know why most professionals upcharge for stainless steel.

I'm guessing the guitar was not refretted in the winter time. In heating season, fret sprout is common due to lower humidity. I would take to your guy (if he does good work) and have him flush and dress the fret ends in the winter time. It's an added expense, but only needs to be done once. And with SS, you're set for life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair