The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-15-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Although it's a great looking and most likely great sounding guitar, I'm pretty sure that is not a custom shop guitar. Typically the neck plate and back of the neck will identify custom shop guitars. I remember getting a newsletter from Fender USA about these guitars.
Well that could certainly be true. The neck plate says only "Limited Edition" with a tiny sticker that says CE
I was assuming because of being a limited edition run, but I imagine if the (limited number) is large enough it very well could be made on the regular production floor .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-15-2021, 01:47 PM

Here's my custom shop 2012 Fender Deluxe Telecaster. Frankly, I wouldn't have spent the $4000 that these originally cost, but one guitar store bought out another guitar store's inventory, and they were offering some custom shop guitars at substantially lower prices, so I offered them $2000, and surprisingly, they took it. Even then, that much money for a bolt-on neck guitar seemed like too much. But after I got the guitar, I noticed some subtle, but very cool differences, between the regular line and the custom shop that I really liked. First off, the weight of the body, this one is feather light ash, and bonus, it's really resonant! Second, the fingerboard edges were rolled, and oh my, so this is one comfortable guitar to play! And speaking of fingerboards, this one is one ridiculously good looking piece of rosewood, dark and chocolaty looking. Also the top wood is a pretty striking piece of 4A quilt maple. Another thing that I really like about this guitar is the way that it blends with my Les Pauls when I'm recording multiple tracks of electric guitars. Here it is with my R7 Les Paul at a gig I did with my friend's band.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well that could certainly be true. The neck plate says only "Limited Edition" with a tiny sticker that says CE
I was assuming because of being a limited edition run, but I imagine if the (limited number) is large enough it very well could be made on the regular production floor .
I've owned a few limited edition Fender USA guitars, and they were all good! And I love Blackwood, check out my acoustic with an all blackwood body...

Old 02-15-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Very cool guitar

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-15-2021, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I came close to pulling the trigger, but like others here, it would have to be NOS or used, as I just find them a little overpriced for what they spec out. I know “value” is subjective, and thats just my opinion. Just couldnt drop 4k without clearly seeing what commanded that price. Does a one-luthier build increase price? No doubt, they are fine instruments, but so are there Am Deluxe models for half the price.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-16-2021, 02:30 PM

Wow - stunning. That's a Parkwood? (A google search brought it up).
Quote:
I've owned a few limited edition Fender USA guitars, and they were all good! And I love Blackwood, check out my acoustic with an all blackwood body...

Old 02-17-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - stunning. That's a Parkwood? (A google search brought it up).
Yes a LE064, they made a 150 of them from a limited supply of Australian Blackwood, and I've owned 3 of them. I sold one to a girl in Canada who LOVES it, I gave another one to my son, and I kept the one in the picture. Parkwood is still in business, but they are all made in China now. These guitars were built in a small shop in Korea that Parkwood closed after a labor dispute. I put Greven pickguards on all of them.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:45 PM

Besides price, there are some vintage specs often with CS models I don’t love. I like what I see spec-wise in the American Original line though. Seem to be a good old/new mix. That is how I view my Standard 60’s LP too. Same with Gibson - prices for CS stuff for me fall in the “afraid to play it” range.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 02-19-2021, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Besides price, there are some vintage specs often with CS models I don’t love. I like what I see spec-wise in the American Original line though. Seem to be a good old/new mix. That is how I view my Standard 60’s LP too. Same with Gibson - prices for CS stuff for me fall in the “afraid to play it” range.
Clearly, if you prefer a 2 point strat bridge, and a 5-way pickup switch a vintage spec 1962 strat won't float your boat.....
My 1961 CS strat came with a 5-way switch in the accessories pocket, and I must confess to installing it and preferring it - putting the 3-way back in will be easy if ever I sell.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:02 AM

I have a Custom Shop 65' Jazz Bass, which I have enjoyed and gigged for about 24 years now. Definitely worth the money, which about $2700 at the time.

It's an early Cunetto era Relic. I hadn't encountered a Relic'd instrument before, as they were just coming out at the time. While I thought that concept was odd, the bass just sounded so good that I had to have it.

I've known fellow bassists to go on a Custom Shop instrument quest after playing mine. It's lovely and sounds superior to anything else I've encountered since.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:09 PM

I have '62 reissue Custom Telecaster. It's a fabulous guitar and it quickly became my favorite.
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars