The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
The stock normaliziation is -2dB. I unchecked that box and solely did the DC offset correction.

There is no attenuation in Focusrite Control. The gain knob for the channel was max'd out and the input settings are as follows (I tried to upload a picture but it won't let me without a link to it hosted elsewhere):
Input set to Line
Pad disabled

However, we're getting off the subject of identifying a mixer.
A interface set to "LINE" is looking for a higher level signal. Setting a device to "LINE" functionally attenuates the input.

The waveform that's displayed in the video shows it has been normalized. Setting DC offset should shift the wave upward or downward on the 0 DB line.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:12 AM

I'm still on my morning coffee (not fully functioning yet), but the mention of ASIO and Audacity caught my eye. Audacity can not use ASIO drivers due to licensing issues. I believe a device that normally uses ASIO when used with Audacity falls back to using Windows audio drivers. This may be part of the reason for the lack of gain if something in the Windows settings or software used in conjunction with the computers sound system is affecting the audio signal.
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/...interface.html
Old 01-25-2021, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

However, we're getting off the subject of identifying a mixer.
And speaking of identifying "a mixer" it appears that ambiguous terminology may be confusing the issue .
From what you have been saying it is hard to determine if that what you are really after is simply a portable (possibly USB powered) two channel interface, with 48 volt phantom power ? ............ OR , if you are actually wanting a portable mixer (possibly USB powered ) and with phantom power and interface capability. ??????

So to perhaps clarify
First:
Having phantom power on a USB powered device is problematic at best and if it even exists at all, would be extremely rare because it would seem to require a transformer .

Second in common parlance ::

While technically an interface is used to "mix" the levels of incoming analog signals and thus does do some "mixing".

In practical terms and in looking for suggestions,,,, there is a big difference between a "mixer" and an "interface".
In common terms a "Mixer" usually has also has on board per channel analog EQ and gain, where as an "Interface" usually has only analog input gain.

And where an interface, is specifically designed to convert analog to digital, for use in a DAW ,,,,, a mixer may or may not have on board conversion for DAW use .
So unless you are specifically wanting the onboard EQ's of an a combo mixer/interface ..... I am guessing what you are actually looking for an "Interface" ???

And then also in terms of simple efficient use....... If you are going to include a laptop in this portable rig, there is no practical advantage of "simplification" in trying to record into Audacity as opposed to simply recording into Pro Tools

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-25-2021, 08:57 AM

Why can't you use Pro Tools with the Scarlett as your portable recording setup? It seem daft to me to use a different DAW with your mobile rig.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-25-2021, 12:02 PM

This thread prompted me to try a condenser mic (Senn e865) into my Zoom H4n (not the Pro version). A full 48v of phantom power was supplied by the H4n and the H4n was setup as a USB interface and powered by solely by USB from the computer. I opened Reaper as the DAW and selected the H4n as the recording device. After getting levels set I did a quick recording to see how sounded. The condenser mic was plenty hot enough to not have to put the gain up of the H4n up like I do with a dynamic. I gotta say being able to use the H4n as an interface is pretty slick and with it inputs guitar capable I may consider playing around more with what I can do with it. Super portable as it can run off batteries and record to SD card as well. Might be an option for the OP depending on needs.
While I didn't try recording, the H4n does show up in Audacity and where there are no drivers for the H4n, recording should similar to it was using Reaper. I do use Audacity quite a bit for simple stuff and it works well for what it does.
Tascam's DR-40X (a bit cheaper) can also be used as a USB interface also.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I'm still on my morning coffee (not fully functioning yet), but the mention of ASIO and Audacity caught my eye. Audacity can not use ASIO drivers due to licensing issues. I believe a device that normally uses ASIO when used with Audacity falls back to using Windows audio drivers. This may be part of the reason for the lack of gain if something in the Windows settings or software used in conjunction with the computers sound system is affecting the audio signal.
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/...interface.html
THANKS. That link has a work-around in it that I have never seen before. However, last year I did reach out to Focusrite support and they mentioned the requirement of the ASIO driver (which I have downloaded and tried to run so many times I can't count). Pro Tools works fine. However, the sample recording I did was solely in Audacity - I did not record the 2nd track in Pro Tools then import to Audacity - it was recorded on a different USB soundcard straight in Audacity.

I wasn't too interested in continuing to dig through the driver issue as I've already spent a lot of time with it. I just wanted to move on to something else (another device). However, with the info in the link you provided that is worthwhile to try. I will have to check that out when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Why can't you use Pro Tools with the Scarlett as your portable recording setup? It seem daft to me to use a different DAW with your mobile rig.
Physically I can use it. However, it is too complex and too powerful of a DAW for the very simple recordings, comparatively, that I do. The complexity isn't worth the hassle for the clean quality. It does give me advanced functionality which is nice to have for the occasions I need it. However, the vast majority of my recordings don't come anywhere near warranting the functionality of Pro Tools - aside from the recording quality.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
From what you have been saying it is hard to determine if that what you are really after is simply a portable (possibly USB powered) two channel interface, with 48 volt phantom power ? ............ OR , if you are actually wanting a portable mixer (possibly USB powered ) and with phantom power and interface capability. ??????

So to perhaps clarify
I learned a long time ago that sometimes (sometimes more often than not) I don't make sense to everyone. So I've stopped trying.

The subject of phantom power and powering a whole mixer/interface from solely a USB port was already hashed out. For the thread detail hit the carat next to my user name in the link below and that will take you back up to the post.

Quote:
AC power is possible, yes. If possible I'd like to get a mixer that can run from USB, but as was previously mentioned - the power a USB port provides is pretty low so I am not opposed to having a separate power source (AC plug in). As far as power goes - the most important thing (by far) is to get good phantom power to a condenser mic.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I'm still on my morning coffee (not fully functioning yet), but the mention of ASIO and Audacity caught my eye. Audacity can not use ASIO drivers due to licensing issues.
I used to use Audacity with ASIO4All. Is that no longer possible?

That said, if FlyFishn already has ProTools on the laptop, I don't see how it's any harder to set up a simple recording template in ProTools than Audacity. Just because the extra functionality is there doesn't mean you need to use it. I use Reaper on my live-recording laptop, but all I did was set up a simple template with 8 channels mapped to my XR18 USB and record-armed. It's even set to load that template automatically, so all I have to do is set levels and hit record. For that purpose, everything else I can do in Reaper doesn't matter. It's no more complicated than Audacity.

We're just trying to help you get the right gear for your purpose, and maybe prevent you from spending money you don't have to... but we are (or, at least, I am) having trouble figuring out what exactly you're trying to do. You have a solution in mind, but we really can't tell you if that's the right thing if we don't know what the problem is in the first place.

As far as I can tell, either a small USB mixer OR a small USB interface would work for you to run a condenser mic and record on a laptop. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $500. I have used my Scarlett 2i2/laptop/reaper for a portable 2-channel recording gig (with a couple condensers) just fine. Lots of applicable mixers mentioned in this thread, Zoom units would work, and seems like a small 1- or 2-channel interface might do you as well.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Physically I can use it. However, it is too complex and too powerful of a DAW for the very simple recordings, comparatively, that I do. The complexity isn't worth the hassle for the clean quality. It does give me advanced functionality which is nice to have for the occasions I need it. However, the vast majority of my recordings don't come anywhere near warranting the functionality of Pro Tools - aside from the recording quality.
While it is certainly valid
for you to use the workflow that you are most familiar and comfortable with, (and I am not trying to persuade you differently, because we all have our subjective preferences ).

However for the benefit of any who are new to recording and reading these threads, the difference between the objective reality,,, and a subjective notion or opinion ,,,, should be clarified.

In terms of the differences in recording "software"... While (it is true) full featured DAWs objectively are far more capable of offering significantly more features than limited DAWs with limited feature sets. BUT the reality is that often the actual workflow of full featured DAWs , especially when making simple recordings, makes them at least no more complex and maybe even less complex to use. (And that is also true)

The notion that in a simple straight forward recording those additional features somehow make full featured DAWs ("too complex and too powerful") while is an often repeated and a somewhat commonly held notion.....
Is simply not objectively true, and is largely founded in myth and skewed misperception, or simply a perception based in personal familiarity, as opposed to objectivity.

(And perhaps it's just my opinion ) but cannot actually see an objective reason to believe that this Audacity GUI is somehow even remotely less complex to use ...

Than this Pro Tools GUI (and perhaps this one may even be less complex, to actually get a simple recording)
#1 Record arm the track/s, #2 record arm the transport, #3 hit play,,, Does it get less complex in any DAW, than that ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-26-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:37 PM

I just got the CEntrance MixerFace R4. I got the one on the right with the built in micro-SD card recorder. The preamps are very high quality: much quieter than the ones on my Zoom H6:

https://centrance.com/mixerface/
Old 01-26-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just got the CEntrance MixerFace R4. I got the one on the right with the built in micro-SD card recorder. The preamps are very high quality: much quieter than the ones on my Zoom H6:

https://centrance.com/mixerface/
Awesome. Thanks! I've never heard of those before. That is right in line with what I was looking for. I will dig in to them some more, though they are pretty expensive little boxes. I suppose when you consider what the pricing makes a bit more sense.

For the time being I am going to wrap my head around the Soundcraft Ui24. I should have one here by the weekend. That doesn't solve the compact mixer idea just yet, but in the mean time I'll work on that ASIO driver work-around mentioned earlier in the thread, also, for the Scarlett. My buddy that runs the Ui24's says those are ASIO driver interfaces also so that is going to be the same ball of wax as the Scarlett, as far as how Audacity records from it (though I can record on to a USB thumb drive directly on the Ui24 then take those tracks to what ever DAW later).
Old 01-26-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The notion that in a simple straight forward recording those additional features somehow make full featured DAWs ("too complex and too powerful") while is an often repeated and a somewhat commonly held notion.....
Is simply not objectively true, and is largely founded in myth and skewed misperception, or simply a perception based in personal familiarity, as opposed to objectivity.
Perhaps. I've been using Audacity in various capacities on and off for decades and it has served me well. Though, I won't get philosophical about the whole bit. I'm sure if there were complaints about what I was after there would be more posters complaining. So far you are the only one that has hammered the point. I'm sure any newbies reading through can reread - and interpret what ever they want however they want.

Last edited by Wildgift; 01-27-2021 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Rule # 1: Be nice
Old 01-26-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks! I've never heard of those before. That is right in line with what I was looking for. I will dig in to them some more, though they are pretty expensive little boxes. I suppose when you consider what the pricing makes a bit more sense.

It's the preamps that make it worthwhile. I was recording with a Zoom H6, but I had to get a couple of FetHeads to avoid preamp noise. The MixerFace preamps are quiet enough to use without external preamps. If you add the cost of a couple of FetHeads or CloudLifters to the the price of a Zoom H4 or H6 recorder, it starts to make sense financially.

The H8 has better preamps that don't need gain boosters, but it is big, plastic, and kind of ugly.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I had a post deleted here, and maybe a couple others. Anybody know what rule was broken?
Old 01-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
It's the preamps that make it worthwhile. I was recording with a Zoom H6, but I had to get a couple of FetHeads to avoid preamp noise. The MixerFace preamps are quiet enough to use without external preamps. If you add the cost of a couple of FetHeads or CloudLifters to the the price of a Zoom H4 or H6 recorder, it starts to make sense financially.

The H8 has better preamps that don't need gain boosters, but it is big, plastic, and kind of ugly.
The Zoom F line has better preamps, and what I'd recommend if the budget is there. But, IMO, for live gigs, the H6 is fine with normal mics and vocals. I made a lot of recordings made with Shure SM58s going into an H6 and it worked Ok. Not what I'd use for a string quartet in a church, maybe, but on a live, open mic stage with lots of ambient noise, it was fine. (I can send links comparing F8 and H6 - not the same performers, probably, but PM me and I'll dig through some of the older stuff.)

p.s. (edit) I actually found a couple that I did of the same performer in the same club. The first is with with the H6, the second is with a Zoom F8. The mic is the club's own well-used SM58.

https://youtu.be/DwNY5zaqaok (H6)

https://youtu.be/_DUDIvmtgFc (F8)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 01-27-2021 at 08:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD