The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Just go! It’s a great place with a lot more to offer than just great musicians in bars. There’s much history there, both musical and otherwise. Take the Bus tour. Go in late April/May or late September/October when it ain’t so dang hot. Go during the week. Weekends are a complete zoo. Weekdays are plenty busy enough.Spend at least 3 full days there or you’ll be sorry you didn't.
This is spot on and great information. Next time I go back I'll get there on a Sunday and leave on a Thursday or Friday. Late spring and early to mid fall are best. Before its too hot or too cold. Get in your time on Broadway but also the "Listening Rooms". And take in a show at the Ryman. Oh yeah...and catch a Guthrie Trapp show where ever he's playing these days...you won't be sorry!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-26-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I've only been once, over 5 years ago, but it was great!

A few things that I would advise:

Go to the Opry. We got lucky with Vince Gill, but it is something you need to do in Nashville no matter who is playing.

Check out the Ryman Auditorium tours and the Country Music Hall of Fame. I was in town for a wedding and missed them both.

Head down to lower Broadway in the afternoon. If memory serves the music starts around 11, never a cover, but put something in the tip jar. Once the sun goes down the music becomes more electric, more rock and less country, so you might not necessarily feel like you are in Nashville in some of the joints later in the evening.

If you want to go the the Bluebird get there very early. It is in a strip mall several miles out of downtown. We stood in line for at least 90 minutes, maybe longer, and didn't get in.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Yup, most full-time pros can't afford forum-credible boutique gear, and certainly wouldn't want to risk it being damaged or stolen if they could. When I was a full-time pro, my gear was very humble. It wasn't until years after working my way up through positions in a full-time day job, as well as my wife doing the same... that I started to have the discretionary income to be able to buy nice gear. I still gig, but by no means is it any more than a pittance in relation to my gear expenditures.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
One thing you didn't mention is how those guitars sounded. Every time I've been there everyone sounded excellent regardless of the gear. They pick the stuff that works and can hold up.
Absolutely. The sound was terrific at EVERY place. I play drums primarily, and I was so jealous of these guys who didn't have to be so conscious of their volume level; they were allowed to just play...no brushes or rods, and no holding back.

People say every day how you don't need top-of-the-line gear in order to sound great and to be a great musician; however, it was so cool to see it happening time and time again.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Lower end guitars...few pedals on the electrics...could be the old saying applies here as in un-armed self defense...the more you know...the less you need.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I spent an afternoon last week with an old friend I used to play with. He is mainly a Dobro and mando player and his band now does most of the British Bluegrass festivals. He offered yo show me his pedal board.

He said the everybody plugs in now, even bluegrassers!

I guess if that is the case then it doesn't matter about the tonal quality of your guitar, banjo, mando, dobro, fiddle, etc. If its olugged in its an electic instrument, not an acoustic.

Seems very sad to me.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I spent an afternoon last week with an old friend I used to play with. He is mainly a Dobro and mando player and his band now does most of the British Bluegrass festivals. He offered yo show me his pedal board.

I guess if that is the case then it doesn't matter about the tonal quality of your guitar, banjo, mando, dobro, fiddle, etc. If its plugged in its an electric instrument, not an acoustic.

Seems very sad to me.
Yes Andy. I like dry signal with a touch of reverb only for acoustics.
I play through a Schertler Unico. Electric interface options to my acoustics: Schertler sound hole PU, other internal PU's and a Felix preamp....

I am finding I prefer my Neumann KM184 with a touch of reverb instead of plugged through acoustics.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
...Many of the acoustic guitar players played Epiphone, Michael Kelly, Fender acoustics, etc. I saw some of the cheaper Taylors (300's and 400's) and a few 15-series and 16-series Martins, and maybe an Alvarez or two. What I DIDN'T see was any custom built, small-shop, luthier-grade guitars. I didn't see any McPhersons, Olsons, Ryans, Bashkins, Goodalls, Hendersons, etc. ....
All the ones you saw being played by a professional WERE the pro gear, by definition.

By the way, I've never once seen a boutique guitar on stage.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I guess if that is the case then it doesn't matter about the tonal quality of your guitar, banjo, mando, dobro, fiddle, etc. If its olugged in its an electic instrument, not an acoustic.

Seems very sad to me.
Andy, if you are not already familiar with them I recommend that you check out the Milk Carton Kids. They are a purely acoustic guitar duo playing and singing into a single microphone, just as you prefer. I’ve seen them live and their sound is impeccable, it almost sounds like no amplification at all but the volume is just what you want and nothing more. All is not lost!
Old 11-27-2019, 05:41 AM

Yeah - I definitely wouldn't bring my good stuff to those kind of gigs. But if I played at the Ryman, you can bet I'm not bringing my GS Mini! In fact, I may have to walk down the street to Gruhn's, etc. and buy something worthy of the occasion. If only......
Old 11-27-2019, 06:55 AM

I'm not in Nashville but I have guitars coming into my shop every day. The actual gigging professionals are bringing in Taks and Alvarez. Epis and Yamaha. Low end Taylors and well used Guilds. These are the instruments that they earn their living with.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

3. Professional musicianship is the number one cause of divorce in the U.S. Or maybe it just seems that way. I know that when I was considering becoming a professional musician, right when I became imminently marriageable, I looked around at my favorite musicians and discovered that not one of them had been able to keep a marriage together. BUZZZZZZT! I chose another, but related, field (recording engineering). I've been married for thirty-nine years to a wonderful, tolerant lady, thank the Lord.

Based on the foregoing, enjoy those love songs but never take a musician's romantic advice.

Bob
Back when I was gigging full time I left the house 6 nights a week around 8:30 and got home around 3 AM. I slept until around 11:00.

No socializing in the evening. Out to dinner had to happen on the early side. And the money wasn't very good.

What woman wouldn't want to be on that schedule?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 AM

The search "Famous Guitarists who play Squires" is applicable here...
Old 11-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Well, just as a technicality...that sounds like Lower Broad where you were hanging out. Music Row is or at least was always known as 16th & 17th Avenue-ish where the studios & publishing houses, etc. are/were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I went to Nashville last week for the first time in my life. I spent 4 nights on Music Row watching people slug it out in the clubs/bars until 2-3am. I had an absolute blast!

In terms of playing acoustic guitars, the most interesting thing I saw was the fact that while a few folks played some nice acoustics, I saw a lot more of the cheaper gear being played. Many of the acoustic guitar players played Epiphone, Michael Kelly, Fender acoustics, etc. I saw some of the cheaper Taylors (300's and 400's) and a few 15-series and 16-series Martins, and maybe an Alvarez or two. What I DIDN'T see was any custom built, small-shop, luthier-grade guitars. I didn't see any McPhersons, Olsons, Ryans, Bashkins, Goodalls, Hendersons, etc. Granted, I know these exist in Nashville, but none of them were being gigged that I saw. I guess they were back home in the closet or on the wall in a studio.

This is just an observation that I found interesting. I mean, it makes sense to not gig with the good stuff, but so many fuss and fight over the little things on a guitar (me included!), it sort of made me re-frame my mindset on this: When you get down to it, what do we really need in order to perform?

This was a fantastic experience.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:51 AM

I was in Nashville in June - many of those players are hauling their gear from one place to another a couple of times a day - guitar in gig bag over a shoulder, other gear on a rolling cart or 2-wheeler. Maneuvering around the crowds on the sidewalks, watching out for crazy scooter people - I'd use the cheapest guitar I could get away with.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion