The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Mash Urban Campfire

Ever been to one? They've been doing these, once a year, in NYC for the past 8 years and in Nashville for 2 years. I went, in NYC last Sunday.

I know that you've all been to concerts, and a lot of you have played with jam groups. This is like putting the two of them together. You don't just go watch people sing, you bring an instrument and play and sing along. It was awesome!

Here's a link;

https://guitarmash.org/

At this show, John Sebastian, Jimmy Vivino, and Dion were the headliners and they had a supporting cast who have played and toured with band that we all love. They all led songs and I've got to tell you; Dion, at 80 years old still kicks butt. He still has a great voice and he still is the ''king of cool''.

My friend and I had the time of our lives and can't wait to go to the next one in Queens on February 7th. The people I talked to after all go back year after year.

Here's a pic of me playing in the audience;

Old 11-25-2019, 11:44 AM

Sounds like it could be fun. My favorite social activity is playing music with others - I've been doing it since I was 10. I belong to 3 acoustic music organizations in my area and between them I have 8 to 10 opportunities a month to play with friends. Since I'm still working (rotating shifts) I can only attend a few.

From May through September is festival season out west and I try to get to a few of those. Lots of great campground jams with some of the top pickers in trad bluegrass and newgrass.

How does this (100's of people with their instruments all facing a stage and playing) work in reality? I would think it could be a cacophony of sound, not being able to really hear, headstocks colliding with everyone as close as the pic shows? IME a jam becomes a riot with more than 10 players. Where are all the cases?
Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 AM

What a fun idea. Never heard of anything like that around here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

''How does this (100's of people with their instruments all facing a stage and playing) work in reality? I would think it could be a cacophony of sound, not being able to really hear, headstocks colliding with everyone as close as the pic shows? IME a jam becomes a riot with more than 10 players. Where are all the cases?''

There was actually plenty of room. The pic of me must have been zoomed so that the woman who looks like she is right up against me was actually in the seat in front of me. They had a case check room but I brought my Dread Jr and I was able to put the gig bag between the seats. All the intruments playing togeter sounded really cool. My voice got lost in the crowd but my friend who came with me, she could project right on through. I couldn't hear my own voice but she came through loud and clear.

Here's another pic showing how much room we had;

and one of Dion and John Sebastian;

Old 11-25-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, the second pic didn't post. Here's another of Sebastian, Vivino, and Dion;

Old 11-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Sorry......couldn’t.....help.....it.....

AFFD03CC-904D-4FBF-8EFB-B2AFCD1923AC.jpeg
Old 11-25-2019, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the link Lowrider!

There's some interesting video if you follow the OP's links. I would have never guessed you could have 350 participants, but the video is a testament that it works.

I've never heard of these before and I'm always interested in how participatory music can be enacted. This is a new and refreshing take on the community jam.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Sorry......couldn’t.....help.....it.....

Attachment 29832

You owe me a new shirt.....I spit coffee all over myself I laughed so hard, excellent. Poor banjo players are the butt of so many jokes
Old 11-26-2019, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

I love my banjo players. We have four banjo players who come to the jams around here. They add some spice. We also have a large piano on stage with us at my jam. When someone plays it, it even drowns the banjo's out!

Here's a review of the Guitar Mash;

http://www.thewaster.com/concert-rev...rG1KiT2ENwWTfK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion