The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (o)COBRA(o) View Post
I also have another question regarding the type of scraper that is suitable for guitar tops and backs. I know they range in thickness and also type (card scraper, cabinet scraper). Does it matter how thick it is or the type? Thanks.
Card (hand) scrapers are very versatile. They come in all sizes, shapes and thicknesses for use in almost any situation, flat, curved, large, small... In some applications, it is nice to have a very flexible/thin one. Scraping large, flat surfaces, I find a thicker one better. The best are generally Swedish steel, such as Sandvik, but nearly any brand will do. (The Lie-Nielson are close in quality - ability to form and maintain a burr.) Caveat is to protect your thumbs from burning - they get hot. Around $10.

Cabinet scrapers are, generally, of one design - very thick blade set into a plane-like base that maintains angle and curvature of the scraper. Mostly, they are used for large, flat or gently curved surfaces. Generally, they are too large for small detail work, such as levelling bindings flush with tops, backs and sides, neck transition contours and heels... They can be put to good use in smoothing tops, backs and sides during the thicknessing operations. Not so good for fine tuning plate thickness once the top or back is on the instrument. Cheapest is maybe $60 and up.

Lee Valley sells some respectable scrapers and accessories for sharpening and use, though the accessories aren't essential. I'd suggest start with a thick/medium thick card scraper.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM

thanks charles,

I think I'll stop by my local woodcraft store and pick one up. Hopefully it can help me to finish working on leveling the centerline portion as well as smoothing the whole soundboard up.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Don't forget to have something to burnish/draw the burr with. You can buy a burnisher, $10 or so, or use the shaft of a screw driver or similar hardened object. I've heard of people using the back of a chisel as a burnisher.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Card (hand) scrapers are very versatile. They come in all sizes, shapes and thicknesses for use in almost any situation, flat, curved, large, small... In some applications, it is nice to have a very flexible/thin one. Scraping large, flat surfaces, I find a thicker one better. The best are generally Swedish steel, such as Sandvik, but nearly any brand will do. (The Lie-Nielson are close in quality - ability to form and maintain a burr.) Caveat is to protect your thumbs from burning - they get hot. Around $10.

Cabinet scrapers are, generally, of one design - very thick blade set into a plane-like base that maintains angle and curvature of the scraper. Mostly, they are used for large, flat or gently curved surfaces. Generally, they are too large for small detail work, such as levelling bindings flush with tops, backs and sides, neck transition contours and heels... They can be put to good use in smoothing tops, backs and sides during the thicknessing operations. Not so good for fine tuning plate thickness once the top or back is on the instrument. Cheapest is maybe $60 and up.

Lee Valley sells some respectable scrapers and accessories for sharpening and use, though the accessories aren't essential. I'd suggest start with a thick/medium thick card scraper.
A somewhat individualistic differentiation between "card scraper" and "cabinet scraper", Charles.

IME over many years and over three continents, the two terms are totally and universally interchangeable.

The very thick scraper , fitted into a plane type body, is universally known as a "scraper plane".
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
A somewhat individualistic differentiation between "card scraper" and "cabinet scraper", Charles.

IME over many years and over three continents, the two terms are totally and universally interchangeable.

The very thick scraper , fitted into a plane type body, is universally known as a "scraper plane".
You're 100% right. Got a pile of cabinet scrapers and 3 scraper planes. Don't know what I was thinking at 3:00 am. Thanks for the correction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair