The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
So you think that wanting your kids to believe something that you know to be untrue is not deception??? My bad.....
So if you have little children, the only thing that is morally right is to tell them there is no Santa Claus? After all, letting them believe is deception.

Life is full of shades of grey, not everything is either right or wrong.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
So if you have little children, the only thing that is morally right is to tell them there is no Santa Claus? After all, letting them believe is deception.

Life is full of shades of grey, not everything is either right or wrong.
I'll refer you back to my previous statement...

It's been quite a while since my son was school aged so I hope you'll forgive me when I say that I don't understand a decision that involves deceiving your kids and risks messing up the finish on your new, expensive guitar is the lesser of evils...

I don't care what parents say to their kinds in order to preserve the magic of the holidays. However, the OP said that the rationale to keep his new guitar in the garage for several weeks (and risk damage to it) was so that his children would be led to believe that he didn't know about the guitar...
Old 12-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I don't care what parents say to their kinds in order to preserve the magic of the holidays. However, the OP said that the rationale to keep his new guitar in the garage for several weeks (and risk damage to it) was so that his children would be led to believe that he didn't know about the guitar...
So if your kids gave you a guitar that you thought was a piece of junk, would you tell them that to avoid deception?
Old 12-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Perhaps we should get back to the issue at hand.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 12-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
The guitar is a gift from my family, not just my wife. I want my girls to experience the joy of giving me a gift that will make me very happy.

And since you asked politely, I will forgive you for not understanding.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Perhaps we should get back to the issue at hand.
Great idea.....

My previous point was that I didn't think that leaving the guitar in a cold garage with 20 degree temperature swings was a good idea and preserving a story to his kids didn't justify the risk. A better idea if the OP wants to preserve the possibility that his kids will think he's surprised is to stash it at the home of a friend or relative. Not damaging the guitar is the issue, not the all of this moralistic "Who shot John?" Go ahead and tell your kids anything you want...
Old 12-10-2019, 03:41 PM

woah, i stepped away for like an hour and this thread has gone kinda off the rails.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Smile

You should be fine. Just don't be moving it around or bumping it while it's out there.

As I read elsewhere in this thread, bring it in the day before and let it climatize to room temp for awhile, 6-8 hrs or more before opening anyways.

I expect to see pics Christmas Day!
Old 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeing Fly View Post
The guitar is a gift from my family, not just my wife. I want my girls to experience the joy of giving me a gift that will make me very happy.
That's probably worth any risk of keeping it in the garage for a couple more weeks.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
It's been quite a while since my son was school aged so I hope you'll forgive me when I say that I don't understand a decision that involves deceiving your kids and risks messing up the finish on your new, expensive guitar is the lesser of evils...
Lol

Agreed
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-11-2019, 10:39 AM

I took everyone's sound advice, and relocated the guitar to a closet in the house. Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I took everyone's sound advice, and relocated the guitar to a closet in the house. Thanks, everyone!
... just make sure you let Santa know where you stashed it, so he can properly stage it under the tree on Christmas Eve ... !

Old 12-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll refer you back to my previous statement...

That I agree with you on! I wouldn't keep that guitar in the garage for any reason.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear it, and Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You realize that's the first place kids look when they're snooping for presents, don't you?
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion