The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 11:35 PM

Default Blueridge BR-35

I just inherited a blue ridge br-35 but cant seem to find any info on this particular guitar. I know its older, Solid Top by the looks of it. It hasnt been played in years and I was thinking about getting it set up. Problem is I currently now have 4 acoustics and they are all dreads. Thinking about thinning the heard before I move. Would it be worth it to have this set up. Current stable is a Seagull S6, Art and Lutherie Cedar, Sigma DM-3M, The Blueridge. None stellar guitars by any means. Any info on this blueridge would be much appreciated. I feel like they are highly regarded on this forum.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 AM

I've never heard of a BR-35. I do like Blueridge guitars. Seems like all the ones i have played were pretty good.

I believe the double digit models are laminate back and side ones.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:40 AM

What little I was able to find on google has it as a 60's-80's solid top with nice understated appointments. It is solid top and possibly made in Japan. That is all I could find. I do not own a BR. Sorry can't help you more.
Sounds like a nice guitar and we'll liked by some accounts.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:21 AM

Thanks fellas,

I think a setup in in order and new strings and it may just sing. Sounds pretty comparable to the guitars I have. I do like the looks of it as its more pretty then most my guitars even with its understated looks.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:27 AM

http://theunofficialblueridgeguitarf...r#.VtWmZPkrLcs
Old 03-01-2016, 08:38 AM

I was watching that guitar as well but didn't jump because I didn't find any information.
Hopefully, it's good.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:00 AM

Most of the Blueridge guitars that I have played have been solid sounding guitars. Played a few 60's and 140's but never a 35. As stated earlier, let us know how it sounds.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:17 AM

Default BR-35 12

Hey y'all... I just purchased a Blueridge BR-35 12, 12 string guitar at an antique shop in Granbury Texas. I bought it because it had a fantastic tone and sound and the action was sweet for a 12 string. I used to play 12 strings back in the early 80's and I knew what I was playing was nice but I had never heard of Blueridge guitars. I figured for under $200 it was a great playing and sounding guitar And it has a Fishman transducer in it. I can't find anything online about this model though. It is a dreadnaught body and very plain appointments. Anyone who can tell me anything about it woould be Greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:01 AM

Hi Piperdoon,

From Saga Musical Instruments Price List No. 90-3 effective August 1990:

Dreadnaught Guitars

BR-35. Mahogany. Scalloped-braced solid spruce top, maple bridge plate, tortoise-type pickguard, herringbone purfling, satin finish. $575.00

BR-35-12. 12-string version of BR-35. $625.00

So there are some facts. The following is speculation based on what I have read but have no evidence for. There are claims that this model was introduced late 70s and was probably discontinued in the early 90s when the model range was redesigned. I have also seen stated a number of times that the back and sides are solid mahogany.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Clive
Old 11-26-2019, 05:03 AM

It almost certainly has laminated back and sides, despite what might have been claimed about that model. With Blueridge guitars the nomenclature makes it obvious at a glance: with all-solid wood models, the numbers following the “BR” prefix have three digits. If there are two digits following the “BR,” that means it has a solid top but laminated back and sides.

No exceptions.

If you doubt this, call 1-800-BUY-SAGA, and ask them yourself. Whatever the various models that Saga, the parent company for Blueridge guitars (and Kentucky mandolins, and Regal resonator guitars, and a number of other brands,) has come out with, the use of two digits to indicate models with laminated backs and sides and three digits to indicate all-solid wood models has been a constant for decades now.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-26-2019, 06:30 AM

Wade is (as is almost without exception) correct!

I have just come across a review of the BR-35 in the October 1989 issue of Gitarre & Bass magazine (German).

After getting software to perform a (occasionally very humorous) translation of the article, it confirms that the back & sides are laminate. The only additional information, not in the price list description, is that the neck is also mahogany and the fingerboard rosewood (no surprises there).

Regards,
Clive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion