The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Default ES system blended with another pickup?

Hey guys, I'd like to get some feedback on something I may try. I have a 710ce with the ES system. I just had a problem with one of the sensors so I had to have it fixed. I pick it up tomorrow and even though I have owned and still do own and play my Taylors out alot in front of people it's still gonna cost me $50 to get it fixed!!!!!....no, I'm not the original owner, however since the 2004 version of the ES was riddled with problems I think Taylor should not charge me for this fix....(boy, I feel better now!!)...Anyway, I'm thinking about adding a Western Mini to my Taylor and blending the signals...I know I'll have to drill another hole in my Taylor but hey, it' not a Pre-war D18. I like alot of things about the ES but I also love the sound of the Western mini....I wonder if anyone else has done something like this??
Reason I want to try this is because I have an element and a M1 in my Larrivee and I think each pickup sounds not so good by itself, but blended together it sounds great....what do yall think....
and thanks ahead of time......
Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Well, I can't really attest to how the two systems sound blended together. However, I recently modded my 06 314ce by having a Wester Mini installed and having the ES body sensors disabled. I had my tech route the Mini through the ES pre-amp and input jack, so I can control the volume, bass, and treble of the Mini signal. I left the body sensors installed, so the mod is easily reversed.

So far, I have been very happy with this mod. The sound has retained a lot of the ES characteristics that I liked, like the crisp highs and response to attack. But the Mini has helped me lose that metallic sound I felt like the ES gave in the bass, and replaced it with a more natural and resonating sound, while also eliminating the ES buzz. The Mini also gives an EXTREMELY hot output compared to the ES. It feeds back when maxed on the volume, but I ease off the volume, step away from the monitor, and use a soundhole cover live, and the feedback is very easy to control. I love it!

I know this isn't the exact mod you're looking to do, but I would assume that if the Mini sounds good with the ES pre-amp alone, that it will sound just as good or even better with the sound of the ES body sensors blended in. The Mini comes with no volume or tone control, so make sure you account for that in the blending process. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 PM

I'm very interested in trying out a UST like the D-TAR wavelength in my 814ce with AA's, and was wondering if I could use the whole ES battery assembly and endpin to power and output the D-TAR, respectively. It would hopefully be a reversible procedure, that if easily done, I would like to try. It's a cheaper solution to upgrading the ES in my 814ce to the 9-volt system (which i like, a good deal), but I do still enjoy my AA ES the majority of the time...

Decisions decisions. It's like I'm never happy until I try everything, even if I'm not unpleased with a current chain...

Anyways, I'm very interested in this thread. So, Jshape, you simply added the PWM to the ES 9-volt and disabled the ES body sensors? Or you simply eliminated the ES system except for the preamp? How painless was that process?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM

Back to the top here... Interested in thoughts on this one...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb0430 View Post

Anyways, I'm very interested in this thread. So, Jshape, you simply added the PWM to the ES 9-volt and disabled the ES body sensors? Or you simply eliminated the ES system except for the preamp? How painless was that process?
My ES is the AA system. I took the guitar to my tech at IRC Music in Indianapolis. I always take my Taylors there since they are an authorized dealer, and dealers typically have all the necessary parts for repairs and modifications on-site. I bought the PWM separately online, brought it in with the guitar, and asked the tech if he could marry the pick-up with the ES pre-amp and output jack. He disabled the ES body sensors, but left them installed in case I ever want to reverse the mod.

I LOVE the new system! I used it for the first time through a loud PA in a big room the other night (Music Mill in Indy) and it sounded fantastic! Much louder than the ES, with much more of a natural sound. Mimics the unplugged sound of the 314ce that I love almost flawlessly, and the feedback is easy to control. Highly recommended!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification