The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-13-2022, 10:39 PM

Default Emerald X-7 with 24.5"scale

I am the owner of an old (2011) X-7 and am considering upgrading to the new model. I would love to hear from anyone who owns a new X-7 with the 24.5" scale option about how they like the guitar. I string my current 24" scale X-7 with mediums and it does pretty well, even in DADGAD, but I feel like the slightly longer scale would inevitably have better tone, especially in lower tunings. I would also appreciate a little extra room between the frets, particularly when playing higher on the fretboard or when capoed up.

My only concern about the 24.5" scale guitar (other than the seemingly high upcharge) relates to how the scale length is adjusted by Emerald by pushing the bridge farther back on the lower bout. The bridge is already pretty far back on the lower bout on these guitars, and I wonder if an extra 1/2" really makes much of a difference. But, I would love to hear from you, Emerald owners, and your feedback on this slightly longer scale X-7.

Any opinions on the tone of the new X-7 vs the older small X7-OS that I own would be appreciated as well. I have read what I could find on AGF and it seems like the newer X7 is pretty superior tonally. I do like the sound of the old one, it is amazingly loud for a guitar of this size, but I find the bass and treble both to be a bit lacking. The trebles seem a bit thin, with a slight plasticky or toy like quality (don't know how to describe it), and the bass is a bit lacking as well, which is not surprising given how small the guitar is. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty awesome for such a small and packable guitar, but I have high hopes for improved tone on the newer model.

Any feedback would be most appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:16 PM

I think the actual charm of the X7 is the fact that it is the one guitar in their lineup that has the bridge centered in the sweet spot of the lower bout. I'm a strong believer that that absolutely matters from a tone standpoint. Warmer, rounder notes, much like if you pick a standard guitar closer to where the fret board encroaches on the top.

I'm not sure how a custom build would affect that- if the .5" is added toward the headstock with no bridge displacement, the bridge moves, or both. AGF member Methos used to have a 24.9 (I think) scale. Hopefully he will chime in, or you could always contact Emerald direct.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I share your concern regarding how Emerald handles longer scale lengths by pushing the bridge back. It seems pretty far back already.

Before I bought my X-20 I considered an X-7 and asked Emerald how the bridge position is affected by changing scale length. Perhaps I didn't word my question clearly because I never really got a definitive answer.

The little schematic drawing in the 3D builder (under the scale option) for the X-7 doesn't look right to me. If you compare the standard scale with that for the 24.5" scale it shows the nut at a fixed location but the bridge is actually closer to the nut for the longer scale, which obviously can't be true. So, I'm not sure what to make of the drawing, but my impression has been that they slide the bridge forward or back to get the scale length they want, which probably has to do with minimizing the number of moulds they need.

I think you'll have the best luck with answers from forum members. In addition to Methos, I think raysachs has had at least a couple X-7s. You might PM them. I'd be interested to hear opinions. I keep thinking I need an X-7.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I share your concern regarding how Emerald handles longer scale lengths by pushing the bridge back. It seems pretty far back already.

Before I bought my X-20 I considered an X-7 and asked Emerald how the bridge position is affected by changing scale length. Perhaps I didn't word my question clearly because I never really got a definitive answer.

The little schematic drawing in the 3D builder (under the scale option) for the X-7 doesn't look right to me. If you compare the standard scale with that for the 24.5" scale it shows the nut at a fixed location but the bridge is actually closer to the nut for the longer scale, which obviously can't be true. So, I'm not sure what to make of the drawing, but my impression has been that they slide the bridge forward or back to get the scale length they want, which probably has to do with minimizing the number of moulds they need.

I think you'll have the best luck with answers from forum members. In addition to Methos, I think raysachs has had at least a couple X-7s. You might PM them. I'd be interested to hear opinions. I keep thinking I need an X-7.
Yeah, I’m on my second current generation X7 and I briefly had a previous generation X7 earlier. I’d have thought about a 24.5 or 25” scale if they held the 12th fret in position where the fretboard joins the body and extended the scale in both directions from there. But, as noted, they move the bridge further back on the body, leave the nut exactly where it was, and adjust the frets from there. My biggest issue with the X7 is with how far back the bridge is located on the body. I like the sound of these guitars and if that bridge position is part of what makes it sound so good, I have to count that as a positive. My problem is with fingerpicking, where I use the edge of the palm on my picking hand against the bridge for palm muting and sometimes for anchoring too. The bridge is so close to the back edge of the body that it’s already almost impossible to keep my hand far enough back to use the bridge as I like to - it’s a very unnatural position to try to maintain. So moving the bridge back even farther to lengthen the scale is a non-starter for me. And, honestly, I don’t have any trouble moving between the 24” scale on my X7, the 24.9” scale on my two Martins, and the 25.4” scale on my Strat. So it’s not really a big deal to me…

-Ray
Old 07-14-2022, 09:18 PM

Default Byrdland scale? Do they actually make the frets closer together?

I just got my first X-7 from Emerald's website. I love it . . . I was quickly tempted to buy another because even since the scale is short I feel like the stretches in the left hand feel longer than my New World Classical 615S Player classical guitar, which I believe is due to the wide-D neck shape.

When I realized they could make Byrdland scale (23.5" - my favorite) in the same model, I nearly lept on an order.. However, I wrote an email without receiving a straight answer about the fret spacing and on the 3-D modeler it only look like they just move the bridge 1/2" towards the neck and all the frets everything stays in the same place . . . I mean the 12th fret should move at least 1/4" of an inch; but, maybe the modeler just isn't very accurate to look at, right?

I've already got one slight intonation issue on my guitar, but it's fixable by changing or sanding the 3rd string saddle spot. It sounds great so I'm not really complaining, I've put away all my other guitars and I posted a video in the show and tell of an O'Carolan piece. I just want to make sure that if I do bite the bullet that it will actually feel closer to Byrdland Scale.

Has anybody ordered the custom scales and found the fret spacing and intonation appropriately adjusted?
Old 07-14-2022, 10:08 PM

To clarify for those that are curious, I did contact Emerald and they confirmed that they only adjust the placement of the bridge when changing scale lengths, the length of the neck does not change. I would have to assume that the distance between the frets changes however, otherwise it seems the intonation would be poor.

Still hoping to hear from an X-7 owner with the 24.5” scale!

Seth
Old 07-15-2022, 01:11 AM

I have an X7 nylon with a 25.9 scale length. This was ordered long before the 3D builder existed. The bridge placement so close to the edge of the lower bout came as a total surprise to me. The body joins the neck between the 11th and the 12th fret.

Some say bridge placement does not matter as much for carbon fiber guitars without bracing as it does for braced wood guitars. All I know is that my X7 has a rather low volume.

The intonation is perfect though. Fret positions always must be recalculated for another scale length.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 07-15-2022, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethayo View Post
... I would have to assume that the distance between the frets changes however, otherwise it seems the intonation would be poor...
I think that's right. At least for the X-20, their schematic under Custom Scale Length in the builder shows the 12th fret moving closer to the body as the scale length goes up, which proper intonation would require as you said. At 27" it looks to nearly be a 12-fret body join.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:14 PM

Moving the bridge means that the neck mold can stay the same (no need to make a special mold or bring out a previous special mold), and the guitar length stays the same so it fits in the same case/bag. Just needs a different fret slot cutting pattern for the different scale.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 07-15-2022, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Moving the bridge means that the neck mold can stay the same (no need to make a special mold or bring out a previous special mold), and the guitar length stays the same so it fits in the same case/bag. Just needs a different fret slot cutting pattern for the different scale.
That makes perfect sense to me.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-20-2022, 04:36 PM

Anyone out there with a 24.5” scale X7 that wants to offer any feedback, or compare it to the 24” scale version if you’ve played both?

Thanks,
Seth
Old 07-21-2022, 12:48 PM

Earlier this year when I was pretty hot to get an X7 I considered the longer scale option. 24.5" was the longest offered in the builder. Now they're offering a 24 - 25" fan fret option. Ray mentions a 25" scale and Mountainmaster refers to a 25.9" scale. Where/when were those?

The $450 add to gain a 1/2" of scale, and the way Emerald goes about it, was/is a turnoff for me. I wanted a 25" scale X7 (standard), and since that didn't exist I moved on.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
Earlier this year when I was pretty hot to get an X7 I considered the longer scale option. 24.5" was the longest offered in the builder. Now they're offering a 24 - 25" fan fret option. Ray mentions a 25" scale and Mountainmaster refers to a 25.9" scale. Where/when were those?

The $450 add to gain a 1/2" of scale, and the way Emerald goes about it, was/is a turnoff for me. I wanted a 25" scale X7 (standard), and since that didn't exist I moved on.
I was just talking hypothetically - I don't know what was being offered at the time. I just knew that the way they adjusted scale length, I wasn't interested on an X7.

-Ray
Old 07-22-2022, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post

Oops, 25.9 was a typo. It is 24.9".

Back then there was no 3D builder and Emerald still did a lot of custom orders.
After the experience with my X7 I also ordered a longer scale for my custom X30 with the additional specification that the bridge should be in the same place as a regular X30. I feared that moving the bridge towards the center of the lower bout would make the already bass heavy X30 too boomy. I don't know if my fear was justified but I just did not want to risk it.
With the introduction of the 3D builder Emerald scaled back on custom orders, so I don't think they would do this anymore.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 07-22-2022, 06:54 PM

A lot of people consider 24.9 to be the sweet spot for a parlor with good but not overpowering bass output. It certainly was the case for my Froggy Bottom acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber