The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 PM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default Lacasse: 00-12 Pau ferro / sitka build

Greetings!

I have passed a few week designing my new 00-12 model!

First step after design: wood choice!

For the back and side I have decided to go with a lovely 4 pieces set of Pau ferro:



For the top, I have choosed this beautiful sitka top:



The side are laminated for stability



Thank you for watching! [emoji4]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:28 PM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default

Next on the menu!

Laminating the side, my side are made of three pieces, the pau ferro on the outside, red cedar on the center and the inside. That way I add a lot of rigidity without adding too much weight!



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:58 PM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,521
Default

That is a lot of little cuts.
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default

Yes! It took about 40min per side! But it worth it!

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Tony Vines Tony Vines is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 205
Default

I sure do like the side laminating technique. I look forward to seeing this guitar completed! I am a big fan of Bolivian Rosewood.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 PM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,521
Default

For the last few instruments I have been building without a mold but the lure of laminated sides might get me to make one. I may have to get a thin kerf blade also.
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 AM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vines View Post
I sure do like the side laminating technique. I look forward to seeing this guitar completed! I am a big fan of Bolivian Rosewood.
Thanks Tony,

I can't take the credits for the lamination technique, I have took the idea from Jeremy Clark from 52 Instrument co.

I'm starting to be a big fan of Pau ferro myself, that one smell like chocolate
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
For the last few instruments I have been building without a mold but the lure of laminated sides might get me to make one. I may have to get a thin kerf blade also.
I just have a mold for the lamination, after the side are stiff enough for the rest of the fabrication! I use the fretting blade from stewmac for the inside kerfling!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 PM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default

Here is the rosette so far! Still have some details to add on it!

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2017, 08:52 PM
BenjaminPaldacci BenjaminPaldacci is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 592
Default

Gorgeous My Man!
__________________
Benjamin Paldacci Guitars:

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 AM
LouieAtienza LouieAtienza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,617
Default

Antoine, great work so far! I too think your laminated sides are a great idea as well... If I may ask what glue do you use for the laminations?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2017, 06:07 PM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminPaldacci View Post
Gorgeous My Man!
Thank you Ben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Antoine, great work so far! I too think your laminated sides are a great idea as well... If I may ask what glue do you use for the laminations?
Thank you, you may ask. For the lamination I have used good old epoxy, I don't wan't this lamination to be easily reversible!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Dion James Dion James is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoineLacasse View Post
Thanks Tony,



I can't take the credits for the lamination technique, I have took the idea from Jeremy Clark from 52 Instrument co.



I'm starting to be a big fan of Pau ferro myself, that one smell like chocolate


I too have been using this side design, Also given to me by my old shop-mate Jeremy. Works great! Looking forward to watching this build come along!
__________________
Dion Guitars
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-21-2017, 04:58 PM
stringjunky stringjunky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,033
Default

But..but...'all-solid' is better. Only 'cheap' guitars are made with laminate.

That lamination technique looks great.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-22-2017, 08:18 PM
AntoineLacasse AntoineLacasse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lévis, Québec
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Bews View Post
I too have been using this side design, Also given to me by my old shop-mate Jeremy. Works great! Looking forward to watching this build come along!
Yes, this lamination technique is awesome! No more kerflings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
But..but...'all-solid' is better. Only 'cheap' guitars are made with laminate.

That lamination technique looks great.
The top and the back are solid!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=