The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Default Band In A Box - which version?

I'm thinking about getting this programme, my use of it would be probably limited to providing rhythm backing for jazz standards really - sort of a jazz realbook plus rhythm section.

Trouble is I'd be running it on a laptop where I don't have too much RAM - it's windows XP and anything too bloated will likely slow down or freeze the computer. I see that the new version for 2012 is xp compatible, but it's also quite a huge file size for the whole thing. If anyone knows, is it designed such that you only need to download a small part of what's on there? I suspect the part of the programme I need won't be too big at all.

Alternatively there's also earlier versions of BIAB such as 2007/8 - would this be a better choice?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyi5 View Post
I'm thinking about getting this programme, my use of it would be probably limited to providing rhythm backing for jazz standards really - sort of a jazz realbook plus rhythm section.

Trouble is I'd be running it on a laptop where I don't have too much RAM - it's windows XP and anything too bloated will likely slow down or freeze the computer. I see that the new version for 2012 is xp compatible, but it's also quite a huge file size for the whole thing. If anyone knows, is it designed such that you only need to download a small part of what's on there? I suspect the part of the programme I need won't be too big at all.

Alternatively there's also earlier versions of BIAB such as 2007/8 - would this be a better choice?
Hi Andy...
I owned Band In A Box for years, and it is handicapped in that you have to be at the computer to use it, or carry the computer with you.

Do you have an iPhone - iPad - iPod Touch - Android Phone/tablet or Kindle Touch?

If so, there is a program named iReal b (iReal and a flat sign) which is a RealBook combined with band in a box features, and the all jazz charts are all free for the download (and there are thousands).

iReal b - CLiCK

It costs $8 for iOS devices plus a $20 more if you want all the style packs (Jazz, Latin, Pop etc) still far cheaper than Band in a box, and really it works as good or better (I used to use Band in a Box). It can be used on a Mac computer as well (no windows version), and is about $28 with all the modules.

You can create your own charts as well as the ones they have, and you can transpose them to the keys you need on the fly.

Since it's phone/device centric, it's extremely portable and user friendly.

I just plug it into my computer speakers, guitar amp or stereo via ⅛'' adapter cables. I use it from both iPhone and iPad.

Hope this helps...

Otherwise I suggest the most basic version of Band In a Box.

It only costs

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks Larry, yes the iReal b seems about 10 years more advanced - pretty clear the way things are heading!

For now though, I will need something Windows xp compatible, portability's not an issue as it's only for home practice. A flexible version of something like the old Jamie Aebersold type playalongs would be fine where I can vary tempo and isolate drums, bass etc, which I guess forms a pretty small part of the BIAB package overall. Can I isolate and just install a basic part of the package?

Also, when you say most basic version, would that be the most basic 2012 propack version (in which they've tweaked and patched up any earlier glitches etc), or an older and maybe simpler/smaller 2007 version? Some software programmes seem to get larger and more complicated as they evolve, whereas with others the problems and glitches get ironed out and later versions are the better choice, so I'm wondering where BIAB lies here. For instance I have Adobe Dreamweaver 2004 mx on my computer - it runs fast, uses a small amount of memory and has no glitches and never crashes... as opposed to some of the later versions that I think got quite bloated with a lot of unnecessary stuff.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
*mahoganut*

Andy, since I now have inherited my wifes gen I iPad, I have a spare BIAB that I've never got around to loading. It's the 2008 version - never loaded, never opened.

Let me know via PM or email to riorider at earthlink dt net if you're interested. I'm willing to sell it for cheap! (make me an offer!)

I'll be digging into LJs brain about iPad stuff soon. Eric Skye also highly recommended iRealb for iPad and from what I saw it was very cool.

Best,

Phil
Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Andy, since I now have inherited my wifes gen I iPad, I have a spare BIAB that I've never got around to loading. It's the 2008 version - never loaded, never opened.

Let me know via PM or email to riorider at earthlink dt net if you're interested. I'm willing to sell it for cheap! (make me an offer!)

I'll be digging into LJs brain about iPad stuff soon. Eric Skye also highly recommended iRealb for iPad and from what I saw it was very cool.

Best,

Phil
Thanks Phil - I've got a similar situation over here (I'm out in the Far East) where a friend has available the 2007 version, so I'm just really trying to evaluate the differences between this and the updated 2012 version, and whether the basic files take up much more space on the computer.

Nonetheless, I'm seriously impressed by the look of the iReal b, though not really given any thought to what platform I'd run it on. Kindle touch looks excellent actually.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM

As for myself...I like BIAB. (Version 11) very much.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Is iReal pretty much focused on jazz?

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write