The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-04-2019, 05:08 PM

Question Has anyone tried John Pearse Pure Nickel strings on a Rainsong (or other CF)?

Well, it finally happened. After almost 8 months, the Monels on my Rainsong CH-OM are finally dying.

I have a set of John Pearse Pure Nickel (lights) on hand. Given that people talk about them in similar ways to the Monels (brings out the fundamental sound, etc.), I was thinking of putting them on the Rainsong.

Before I do, I thought I would check in to see whether anyone has tried them on a Rainsong or other CF guitar. I know I can always be the trail blazer on this, but given how finicky this guitar seems to be with respect to strings, I would prefer not to do that.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Well, it finally happened. After almost 8 months, the Monels on my Rainsong CH-OM are finally dying.

I have a set of John Pearse Pure Nickel (lights) on hand. Given that people talk about them in similar ways to the Monels (brings out the fundamental sound, etc.), I was thinking of putting them on the Rainsong.

Before I do, I thought I would check in to see whether anyone has tried them on a Rainsong or other CF guitar. I know I can always be the trail blazer on this, but given how finicky this guitar seems to be with respect to strings, I would prefer not to do that.
I did like GHS Silk and Bronze, Newtone Masterclass Doublewound (round core) PB, and JP Bronze and Silk for something different than Retros. However, when I tried the JP Nickel strings on the Shorty I found them too bright and brash- not a good combo to my ears on an already bright guitar. The Retros worked better for my tastes. I also tried La Bella Silk and Steel (silver-plated copper wire wound on pure silk filaments wrapped over a steel core). They were better but not by much- Retros won over all of the Nickel or Silver plated for something outside the box of PB or 80/20. I also hated Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on the Shorty. I have not to this day found a guitar as finicky as the Shorty with strings.

Your guitar and your strings but I would put them on something else if you are looking for more mellow tone on the Shorty.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I did like GHS Silk and Bronze, Newtone Masterclass Doublewound (round core) PB, and JP Bronze and Silk for something different than Retros. However, when I tried the JP Nickel strings on the Shorty I found them too bright and brash- not a good combo to my ears on an already bright guitar. The Retros worked better for my tastes. I also tried La Bella Silk and Steel (silver-plated copper wire wound on pure silk filaments wrapped over a steel core). They were better but not by much- Retros won over all of the Nickel or Silver plated for something outside the box of PB or 80/20. I also hated Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on the Shorty. I have not to this day found a guitar as finicky as the Shorty with strings.

Your guitar and your strings but I would put them on something else if you are looking for more mellow tone on the Shorty.
Thanks for the detailed response, and for saving me from wasting the set of JP Nickels. I almost returned the Rainsong because it was so bright (I posted a thread on "taming the brightness"). I'll go get another set of Monels, which also seemed to take a lot longer to settle in on the CH-OM that on any other guitar I've tried them on. Or maybe I'll just play with dead strings
Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 AM

I am a newly converted fan of nickel bronze from D'Addario on my Cargo, for what that is worth...
Old 04-05-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response, and for saving me from wasting the set of JP Nickels. I almost returned the Rainsong because it was so bright (I posted a thread on "taming the brightness"). I'll go get another set of Monels, which also seemed to take a lot longer to settle in on the CH-OM that on any other guitar I've tried them on. Or maybe I'll just play with dead strings
Your welcome! My main takeaway from all of it was that Retros were the clear winner on the Shorty but that anything with silk filament or even coated strings like Elixirs did better on the Shorty.

I realize that Retros are not everybody's cup of tea, but apart from great tone, the reason I always went back to Retros was because they last so dang long and are super strong! Have you noticed how well even the light set hold their intonation? They are really quite amazing and this is true even when running them through the paces I do- lots of alternate tuning. You might want to try the LJs Choice Retros (13-17-24-32-42-56) to help tame brightness. Because they are Retros they still feel nice and flexible but the beefed up trebles fatten up the tinny sound of the Retro lights on the treble side- at least that is my experience. The lights are just a tad too floppy for my preferences. At any rate it's hard to beat less than $9 a pack for strings that outlast or last at least as long as Elixirs.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
I am a newly converted fan of nickel bronze from D'Addario on my Cargo, for what that is worth...
Glad you found them useful. I can see how their power would really push an instrument the size of the Cargo. I don't find I like them on RainSong or the OF660. Incidentally the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze sound fantastic on the OF660- just gotta try everything until I find Goldilocks
Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM

A couple of us here have really liked SCGC low tension PBs on our RS Shorties. Nice sound and feel and they last a looooong time.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I realize that Retros are not everybody's cup of tea, but apart from great tone, the reason I always went back to Retros was because they last so dang long and are super strong! Have you noticed how well even the light set hold their intonation? They are really quite amazing and this is true even when running them through the paces I do- lots of alternate tuning. You might want to try the LJs Choice Retros (13-17-24-32-42-56) to help tame brightness. Because they are Retros they still feel nice and flexible but the beefed up trebles fatten up the tinny sound of the Retro lights on the treble side- at least that is my experience.
I'm definitely sold on the Retros (lights) and, coincidentally, I have a set of LJs Choice Retros on order at my local store (expecting them in soon) for the reason that you gave. Happy to hear that my thinking matches your experience on that.

I'm curious if you had to adjust your truss rod when you went from lights to the LJs.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat1 View Post
A couple of us here have really liked SCGC low tension PBs on our RS Shorties. Nice sound and feel and they last a looooong time.
Thanks. I have a couple of sets of Straight Up Strings mediums (similar the the SCGC low tensions) in my stash from when I tried them out on my Halcyon. I found that they made a walnut guitar sound like rosewood on steroids in terms of overtones and sustain, and I'm try to get a more fundamental tone. But hey, I may try them before I put a new set of Retros on... just because.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 04-05-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I'm curious if you had to adjust your truss rod when you went from lights to the LJs.
Hi Barry- no tweak to the truss rod but nice to have that option if you want to. The Shorty is an excellent guitar and I hope you like the LJs. :thumbsup:
Old 04-07-2019, 08:21 PM

I put the Retro LJs on yesterday. As steelvibe said above, "they still feel nice and flexible but the beefed up trebles fatten up the tinny sound of the Retro lights on the treble side".

Unlike the lights, which I thought took around 2 weeks to settle in, the LJs sound good pretty much right out of the package. The CH-OM sounds really, really good.

I'll save the JP Pure Nickels for (not sure what).
Old 04-07-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I put the Retro LJs on yesterday. As steelvibe said above, "they still feel nice and flexible but the beefed up trebles fatten up the tinny sound of the Retro lights on the treble side".

Unlike the lights, which I thought took around 2 weeks to settle in, the LJs sound good pretty much right out of the package. The CH-OM sounds really, really good.

I'll save the JP Pure Nickels for (not sure what).
Cool! I'm always happy to help but even happier when I give good advice. I think we both agree that the CH-OM/ Shorty are very snooty about what you string em' up with. Kinda like teenagers who don't like you telling them what to wear.

Even though they are a little heavier and have more tension, the LJs seem fine on a 24.9" scale. I love them on my Martin D Jr. too. I tried the Tony Rice set as well and they almost feel like lights from other brands PB and 80/20 varieties but were ultimately too heavy for my playing style. Incidentally I had just installed some D'addario Nickel Bronze on my Journey and hated them- both for overly bright tone and the fact they are the stiffest light strings I've ever handled. They came off in 3 days and are expensive too. Won't be purchasing those again.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM

I put in an order yesterday for a bunch of John Pearse strings. I've never tried them and recently read a bunch of positive feedback. I ordered a few sets of nickel as well and I might try those first on my Emeralds before the bronze and phosphor bronze.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Default Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
Why and what else have you tried that you liked

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber