The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Default need advice - Wood vs Carbon for loudness

I need honest, objective advice on comparisons of Adamas and deep bowl Ovations with wood guitars and with Rainsong, and other carbon fiber guitars, in terms of acoustic loudness.

I need a LOUD! acoustic guitar. I have a couple of full time strolling gigs in loud environments (a railroad train and a "dude" ranch). I am currently playing a Seagull (solid top) and am going to try to find a louder guitar. I sometimes play in a restaurant, plugged in, so I need a pick-up too. I have been considering a Rainsong, CA, or Emerald carbon fiber. I have also been considering an Ovation deep bowl or Adamas. I have previoulsly owned a Martin D-35 and don't think it was much louder than the Seagull (although it had better tone).

There are several other guitar players on the train and we perform on the loading platform in the morning. There are Taylors, Gibsons, Martins, Ovations, and others. When I stand back and listen, to all of the guitars, I believe that the best sounding guitar there is a 26 year old deep bowl deluxe Ovation. It is loud and much more balanced - without any frequency booming out above the rest.

Any comments or advice would be really appreciated. You can email me at [email protected]

This forum would not allow me to use my yahoo address, so I used my wife's msn address but I rarely look at her mail. I will check it for replies, but it would be better to reply to [email protected]

Thanks very much for any help,

Larry Dean
[email protected]
Old 01-02-2006, 10:41 AM

I can't offer much insight as my Ovation was a mid bowl Balladeer. You will get lots of expertise, advice and opinions over at the Ovation Fan Club if you haven't checked it out already. A great bunch of folks hang out there including Kaki King's Dad "popcritic".

www.ovationfanclub.com
Old 01-02-2006, 10:41 AM

A Rainsong Jumbo is absolutely the loudest acoustic guitar I've ever heard. The tone wasn't pleasing to me but that's subjective. I like for my guitars to be made of wood. If I needed a LOUD guitar I'd get a Martin D18VS or a HD28VS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber