The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-15-2019, 02:41 PM

Default tender forearm - who knew?

After a four month forced layoff for rotator cuff surgery, I am back to playing again. However I have noticed that my right forearm is now VERY sensitive to hard edges and easily gets sore. Who knew that we toughened up the forearm as well as the fingertips?? That is my only obvious explanation. Anyone else?

I spent the last 90 minutes playing on the back porch swing with my Blackbird Lucky 13 and the sore forearm was the limiting factor. Even though the smaller 00 body size is very comfortable, that hard 90° edge really got to me after a while. I did not notice this after playing my X20 on Thursday evening for an hour. Comfort bevels really are. I need to download the John Pearse armrest templates and start fitting them to my Lucky 13 and my WS-1000. I would do that for the wooden Taylor's too, but they get so little play time these days.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

It is just the hard edge or could it also be related to width of the instrument. The Emerald bevels allow a more gradual approach to the width of an instrument. this is just conjecture on my part, but I do know that my thin-bodied 7 is more comfortable than my 10 (except for the shorter bouts).
Old 06-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Either my X7 (fairly narrow bevel) or my X20 (wider bevel) is fine. My Lucky 13 and my Rainsong WS-1000 are not fine, due to the 90° edges - at least for the moment. They were not a problem in the past. I don't think it has much to do with the depth of the instrument, but that depth definitely affects the comfort level in the healing shoulder. I have not spent much time with the X30 yet. The forearm should toughen up again as I get back into the swing of things. I just found this new sensitivity a bit surprising.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:17 PM

Earl49,
Try using the Luva Arm Pad. https://luthiermusic.com/product-cat...ries/arm-pads/
Barb
Old 06-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Interesting idea Barb. I have plenty of neoprene knee braces around and might try one of those as a temporary fix. To be clear, this is definitely sensitivity to the pressure / weight of my arm laying on the edge. The muscles and tendons don't hurt at all away from the guitar.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

The best of the best arm rest for sensitive arms - by far the most comfortable: https://www.stringsbymail.com/andrea...tar-11771.html
Old 06-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

You and I have traded thoughts about this after-surgery stuff - I was surprised at how any touch on the leg with the new hip felt like a hot poker early on (over that, now). That said, after playing my Emeralds, any of my "hard edge" guitars get uncomfortable pretty quick. I do like those arm bevels!
Old 06-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You and I have traded thoughts about this after-surgery stuff - I was surprised at how any touch on the leg with the new hip felt like a hot poker early on (over that, now). That said, after playing my Emeralds, any of my "hard edge" guitars get uncomfortable pretty quick. I do like those arm bevels!

Yep- not even dealing with post surgery stuff and love bevels. The Journey has one built in and the Martin has a John Pearse armrest. Can’t imagine owning another guitar without that feature going forward.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I spent the morning today chatting (mostly) and playing (a little) with a fellow AGF member, who is also an X20 owner. He has a lovely Martin D-18S - 12-fret dread, slotted headstock - which was previously the only dreadnought configuration I'd ever felt comfortable with.

It felt *massive*. Lovely neck, great sound, excellent playability, but I just couldn't get past the sheer bulk of it. That top bout, and particularly, the sharp edge, would seriously limit how long I could play it at a stretch. And I don't have recent surgery as an excuse.

Picking up my X20 again felt like slipping on a favourite old pair of shoes.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 06-17-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Picking up my X20 again felt like slipping on a favourite old pair of shoes.
I like my old shoes
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-15-2019, 06:47 PM

I was actually prone to tendinitis in my forearm where it rested on the guitar edge. I wound up taking a microfiber cloth, folding it in half, then in half again, and use it as a pad for that edge. Makes all the difference in the world. I actually stitched the corners of the folded cloth, so it would stay in that configuration, and it is just a reflex to pick it up anytime I play.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
The best of the best arm rest for sensitive arms - by far the most comfortable: https://www.stringsbymail.com/andrea...tar-11771.html
I love this armrest, but it doesn’t fit my WS-1000, FYI.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

After playing nothing but my Emeralds the past several months (and mostly the slimline X10 the past several weeks) I went into a store to play some guitars and was quite surprised with just sensitive my forearm has become to sharp bevels. I remember thinking that while I liked the guitar I was playing (Cole Clark Angel) I would never be able to enjoy it for playing for longer than a few minutes and the thought of playing it for a three hour gig was horrifying.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Earl49,
Try using the Luva Arm Pad. https://luthiermusic.com/product-cat...ries/arm-pads/
Barb
I got one of those (with the hard insert) when I had a kind of fungal infection right where my arm rests on the guitar, that wouldn't go away. I'm certain it helped, and I've come to like using it. Makes it easier to rest my arm and keep it in the right position for a more classical style with minimal effort, and to slide it around to change positions.

It's just a bit difficult to keep it in place in colder periods when I'm wearing long-sleeved clothing.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-16-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I would do that for the wooden Taylor's too, but they get so little play time these days.
I can't remember if you have a x14 Taylor, but the slim fits mine perfectly.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber