The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Excellent work! Are you hearing a noticeable difference pre and post porting? I have an early Breedlove N250 Passport nylon that I did a large port on the upper bout. It had a preamp/electronics module there and I didn't care for the sound at all, so I pulled it out and reamed the hole round, and put an LR Baggs Element system in the guitar. The guitar was noticeably louder to me, but that's of course because that big ole port is pointing right at my head.

Anyways... I'll have to keep the port thing in mind for one of my Cordobas if I ever want to try it there. And I also far prefer the sound of spruce tops to cedar... whether on flamencos or classicals. I want my notes punchy and articulate/well-defined with a bit of top end on there... even on classicals. I understand why guys like that somber warmth of cedar for classical, but I've always liked my tones a bit more brash and in your face.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Excellent work! Are you hearing a noticeable difference pre and post porting? . I want my notes punchy and articulate/well-defined with a bit of top end on there... even on classicals. I understand why guys like that somber warmth of cedar for classical, but I've always liked my tones a bit more brash and in your face.
Yes - quite a large difference in balance, warmth and an ambiance that happens with the dual ports. Smaller ports will be essential in your goal of punch and articulate notes - also almost always makes the trebles fatter.

I ended up with each hole exactly 1/2" - put a nice bevel on it and it looks great.....more importantly sounds great too.

I've been A/B ing with my C9 to see if I can let one go, but they are both so good, albeit a little different, I really want to keep both of them.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 AM

There is something special about the smell of Cedar coming from the guitar when you open the case.

I'm gassing for a Cedar topped Cordoba (C9 or C10 not cross over) to go with my GK Pro Negra with the spruce top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
And I also far prefer the sound of spruce tops to cedar... whether on flamencos or classicals. I want my notes punchy and articulate/well-defined with a bit of top end on there... even on classicals. I understand why guys like that somber warmth of cedar for classical, but I've always liked my tones a bit more brash and in your face.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-10-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
There is something special about the smell of Cedar coming from the guitar when you open the case.

I'm gassing for a Cedar topped Cordoba (C9 or C10 not cross over) to go with my GK Pro Negra with the spruce top.
I had owned a C9 crossover, cedar/mahogany and it had the sweetest sound. I loved it and would gladly own another in the wood combo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical