The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Default Change Cordoba nut width

Dilemma. I'm pretty much sold on the Cordoba 55FCE, thin line, Spanish made, high end electronics, and most importantly personally hearing and playing one.

But I so much more like the Fusion/Crossover necks and playability of the Fusion/Crossover Cordoba's (none of which come in a thin line if I am investigating this correctly.)

I know the changing the nut width subject has been tackled, and I perused the threads, but my question is, even though the neck itself will be a little thicker and wider than a Fusion/Crossover model, if I had a luthier shape a new nut for a 1 7/8" feel, in terms of string spacing, would it make it easier to play, importantly get my thumb over? OR, is the fact that the neck will remain constant, make this a futile pursuit?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2019, 12:28 PM

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I doubt you'll be satisfied.

Do you have any Camps dealers near you? The Camps crossover might be a good fit for you.

Otherwise, keep looking, the neck feel is important.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-23-2019, 03:45 PM

Thanks sirwhale. I had never heard of those guitars, they look pretty cool. I guess the 'cut' of the neck, that is something else that a new nut width obviously won't change, C for the crossover and V for the 55FCE.

Arrggh, I have the budget for this but just can't find the right combination of neck size, thin line, good electronics.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:28 AM

As always the search is long. Try as many as you can.

For a long time I played steel strings, then went crossover thinking that was what I wanted. After just a few months I had sold it and bought my current flamenco guitar. I actually prefer the flat fret board in the end and should have just tried it in the first place.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 AM

The Cordoba C5 ECT is thinline and has a slightly less wider neck (50mm)
Old 03-31-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

I wish Cordoba would put the same neck on their thin-bodid Espana series as they do the thicker bodied Luthier series. The biggest reason I couldn't get along with my 55FCE maple and 55FCE Ltd ziricote, and FCWE Reissue models. Or it would be great if they'd offer a Luthier model in a thin body.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I wish Cordoba would put the same neck on their thin-bodid Espana series as they do the thicker bodied Luthier series. The biggest reason I couldn't get along with my 55FCE maple and 55FCE Ltd ziricote, and FCWE Reissue models. Or it would be great if they'd offer a Luthier model in a thin body.
That is my exact worry with the 55FCE, neck too much for me. If they made a thin bodied Espana with a Fusion neck, I would already own one!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:01 AM

My personal taste is that 1 7/8 is too narrow for nylon strings. My left hand just felt cramped at times playing finger style. It's probably because of the thicker strings.

My Cordoba GK pro is 1.9" and seems to be perfect for me and my playing.

Swapping a nut & trying a different width isn't life or death... If you don't like the change, go back to the old one.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical