The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
I'm also looking for a pick up for my classical.

I came across this iRig Microphone pick up.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iABEgK8X_D_BwE
I have one which I have used on ukulele, clasical and steel string guitar. It is ok, sound reproduction is alright but tends to pick up too much bass and not enough trebles when strumming. It is very feedback prone. Coupled with the skinny little wire that runs from mic to clip on preamp and I don't want to perform live with this. The preamp is good for different tones and eliminating feedback. But it does flatten the tone too much while killing feedback and the signal is not very hot
Old 03-09-2019, 09:50 PM

My New World Player has a Baggs Anthem SL and it sounds, well, okay. My favorite pop music nylon payer, Michael Johnson, used a Baggs LB6 run through a Baggs Para DI and I loved his sound. From what I understand, they are very feedback resistant. Unfortunately, those have to be installed by a pro. It appears that the Barbera Soloist mentioned by another commenter here is similar to the LB6, but it's odd that they don't seem to allow any compensation.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 03-09-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Congratulations hope you enjoy the pickup like the rest of us!
Well I just finished installing the HFN-C piezo under saddle pickup. (like WAY under, as in mounted to the bottom of the bridge plate inside the guitar) And I have to say I wish I had tried this pickup before the other 3 I started the thread with.

It sounds pretty **** good plugged directly into the Fishman Loudbox Artist. It's a little boomy on the low end with open chords and there's a hint of harshness to the highs when I strum with my nails. But I'm splitting hairs here. And from what I've learned from your responses here, a decent preamp should remedy these quibbles.

I am surprised how resistant to feedback it is. The Baggs Lyric Classical internal mic was WAY prone to feedback. If you strayed in front of the amp you might break nearby windows with the howl. With this HFN I really have to goad it into misbehaving, even though my Cordoba has a second sound hole and neither is covered.

All in all, this is exactly what I needed. I have other go-to guitars when I have to amplify. Still, I wanted to have the option of plugging in the Cordoba if needed. Only played it a bit, but I have to give it a 8 out of 10.

DanO
Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash58 View Post
This is a more affordable copy of the Pure Mini, made in the USA.
http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html
I just installed one of those and find them to be just as good. I've installed many in steel string guitars as well.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisePicker View Post
Well I just finished installing the HFN-C piezo under saddle pickup. (like WAY under, as in mounted to the bottom of the bridge plate inside the guitar) And I have to say I wish I had tried this pickup before the other 3 I started the thread with.

It sounds pretty **** good plugged directly into the Fishman Loudbox Artist. It's a little boomy on the low end with open chords and there's a hint of harshness to the highs when I strum with my nails. But I'm splitting hairs here. And from what I've learned from your responses here, a decent preamp should remedy these quibbles.

I am surprised how resistant to feedback it is. The Baggs Lyric Classical internal mic was WAY prone to feedback. If you strayed in front of the amp you might break nearby windows with the howl. With this HFN I really have to goad it into misbehaving, even though my Cordoba has a second sound hole and neither is covered.

All in all, this is exactly what I needed. I have other go-to guitars when I have to amplify. Still, I wanted to have the option of plugging in the Cordoba if needed. Only played it a bit, but I have to give it a 8 out of 10.

DanO
That's good to hear that you like it. Do they provide both tape and putty with the classic version? If so which did you use? I would hope to get that 8/10 up to a 9/10. If you're plugging into the instrument input on the Fishman amp you really shouldn't need an external preamp, though using one will never hurt.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
That's good to hear that you like it. Do they provide both tape and putty with the classic version? If so which did you use? I would hope to get that 8/10 up to a 9/10. If you're plugging into the instrument input on the Fishman amp you really shouldn't need an external preamp, though using one will never hurt.
From what I've been reading here, the expanded EQ options on a preamp would help in getting the pickup sound more refined. Also; although the pickup does work well enough, it is no where near as loud as my other guitars who's pickups are battery powered. I would would think running a passive pickup without a phantom power source could be a factor here.

The pickup I received had just the double-sided tape for mounting.

DanO
Old 03-13-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisePicker View Post
From what I've been reading here, the expanded EQ options on a preamp would help in getting the pickup sound more refined. Also; although the pickup does work well enough, it is no where near as loud as my other guitars who's pickups are battery powered. I would would think running a passive pickup without a phantom power source could be a factor here.

The pickup I received had just the double-sided tape for mounting.

DanO
I hear ya on the output but don't let that fool ya there's plenty of output but it certainly won't compare to any active system. I am a little surprised that you didn't receive any putty with the pickup as that was going to be one of my suggestions. Most people here are reporting using the tape whereas I'm preferring the putty. Anyway if you don't have a preamp I'll certainly recommend the el cheapo Behringer ADI21. It's an awesome little preamp that works well with the HFN. It will give you the signal boost you're looking for and some tone shaping at an amazing price.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM

K&K pure undersaddle mics in my Ramirez R-4.

Don't like piezzo sound, even on my folks...
Old 04-13-2019, 02:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I’ve read great things about these.

https://m.barberatransducers.com/sit...eup0eb2ki9nqv5
The Barbera Soloist is by far my favorite pickup. I especially like them for nylon string guitar.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
The Barbera Soloist is by far my favorite pickup. I especially like them for nylon string guitar.
Do you have to alter the guitar in any way? I will not allow any physical alterations to my Ramirez, such as drilling.

I have a Kremona pickup tied onto my bridge. Just ran it through the main system at my church today, doing a sound test, through a Fishman preamp/DI. Impressed with the sound after a bit of EQing, though nothing will sound as good as completely unamplified.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical