The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2018, 09:11 PM

Default Nylon to Slide Guitar Convert Project

Hi everybody! First things first, I'd like to thank again everybody for their ideas, opinions and support here at the AGF. It's definitely the best forum I've known, mostly because of the members.

So, I wasn't planning on getting another guitar but I had an opportunity to "rescue" a nylon / classical string guitar from the 80s which was destined to be in the trash. It's got dings and scratches everywhere, awfully dirty and, well... not in a good shape at all. Also, the fretboard was detached from the neck, which is already taken care of.

I gave a lot of thought about this "extra" guitar and decided it would be a slide guitar, as I have no need for another nylon / classical guitar.

I know and have already searched about the dangers of using steel strings on a classical guitar, but my idea is not to simply put steel strings on it and see what happens.

What I plan is, and that's where I'd like to get your opinions:

1) install a tailpiece, preventing the bridge from pulling apart

2) install tuners proper for a slotted headstock steel guitar, rollers made of metal and not plastic

3) use .010 electric guitar strings and tune to open G

I researched about string tension and found that the total tension of a .009 electric is pretty much the same as a normal tension nylon set. I figured that using 10s, given the open G tuning and also the shorter scale (forgot to mention before) it wouldn't really hurt the neck as far as bowing goes.

The previous owner had used steel strings on it, without any modifications, and besides the detached fretboard issue, bridge and neck bow look fine.

I don't know what gauge he used to use, but I guess it was medium-heavy acoustic steel strings due to the deep marks left on the poor plastic tuners.

What would you say about these ideas? Any input is welcome but please, comments like "it's your guitar, your problem" really don't help, right
Old 11-01-2018, 06:39 AM

Detached fretboard should be seen as an opportunity to rout a channel and epoxy a fixed truss rod in there. Carbon fiber would be good, available online.
I have seen old classicals repurposed as resonator guitars, if you want to go that route. Google that, there are some step by step procedures that I have seen online. Looks like a fun project and I give you props for thinking outside the box.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 11-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Thanks! I'll sure post pics and a sound clip of the guitar after it's converted.

I really loved the idea of a resonator, but not for now, I'd rather stick with the "plain" acoustic project.

What I'm really concerned is the choice of strings, I think I'll go with electrics .010 tuned to open G and see how it goes - just like any other string experiment.

I don't want to compromise the neck but at the same time not end up with wobbly strings.

I figured that if .09s got almost the same tension as a normal nylon set tuned to standard, putting .010s, tuning to open G and the guitar being short scale, that would pretty much give me the same tension as a hard nylon set.

And also, if the previous owner has beaten the guitar throughout the years and installed steel strings without modifications, I think it can take the electric .010s as a breeze.

I know electric guitar strings on an acoustic will hinder its tone / volume / overall sound. But I'm into this more for playability and a chance of learning slide guitar than a search for tone.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:29 PM

I put some extra light acoustic strings on a La Patrie and it was fine. Did not sound quite right.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 AM

Hi guys, I finished converting the nylon / classical guitar to a steel string to play slide.

In the end I didn't do much, basically I ripped off the plastic around the tuning machines and got steel tuners, I didn't know they were basically the same thing covered in plastic.

I was going to install a tailpiece, maybe in the future, but for now I kept it as it is, because I found some electric 09s here and, as they're almost the same tension as a normal tension nylon guitar step, I figured there's not going to be much of a problem. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

The result was fair enough for me, I didn't spend anything on the repair and conversion except glueing the fretboard back onto the neck.

Considering that this guitar was going to be tossed in the trash, I'm pretty happy it turned out fine. Of course, I guess it would be better to have higher tension strings, but I play slide just for fun and now I can have a guitar dedicated to that.

The setup was sort of "too high to play standard" and "too low to play lap steel" String height is about the same as a classical, 4mm bass side and 3mm treble on the 12th fret. The nut is slightly higher than usual, I don't get sharp notes if I pay attention to technique and, after all, most notes won't even be fretted.

Here are some picks and a quick video playing it. Please, mind my lack of skill with the slide

Fortunately I now have a guitar to practice more!

Here's the video link on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/LjAcHi2rUtU

And here are the pictures:

Last edited by rodmbds; 11-12-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 AM

A couple of years ago I converted a way-cheap steel string into a resonator:

https://cigarboxnation.com/photo/res...1?context=user

I installed a tailpiece and used an aluminum cooking-pan lid for the actual resonator... The cover is a serving tray that I hammered into a dome shape.

I ended up painting the top black... Don’t have a pic of the final build. Actually sounded pretty good!
I ended up selling it and buying a “real” brass-bodied resonator.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:42 AM

That's cool! When I showed my project to a friend, he also mentioned about converting a guitar to a resonator just like you did.

Any chances you got a video or sound clip of it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, nylon acoustic, slide, steel