The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-16-2001, 09:03 AM

Thumbs up Harmonics and Chyming

If anyone is interested in either of these techniques Doyle Dyke's 1st video demonstrates how he does it with both hands or with just one. The guy is totally awesome.
Old 01-16-2001, 02:43 PM

Howdy,

What's the name of that video? I'd sure like to get it myself!

Blessings,
nick
Old 01-16-2001, 09:39 PM

I've found a better way of doing one of Doyle's harmonics tricks. On Jazz in the Box during the harmonics section of the piece, he plays the 12th fret harmonics on the 4th, 3rd & 2nd string simutaneously as a G chord harmonics, then hammers on with the index finger at the first fret on the same strings and slides up to the 2nd fret creating the illusion that the G chord harmonics is being slided up a step to a A chord harmonics.

Doing it this way gave me very inconsistent results. I found that actually hammering on a hair before the nut (fingerboard side) and then sliding up to the 2nd fret works every time and I can get the harmonics to ring louder than how Doyle does it (although it might be his intention not to make it ring as loud). It's a neat trick.

--Gordon Lau
Old 01-16-2001, 11:43 PM

I know the part you are talking about in Jazz in the Box, in the video he demonstrates it and it is pretty easy to do with a little practice. Been trying to learn the song for the past three days and have most of it down, with the exception of the speed and the shrill harmonics played almost the same time, fingers don't reach. The name of the video is " Amazing Fingerstyle Guitar/Techniques of Doyle Dykes-Vol. 1. I got is off of his Web site "www doyledykes.com" Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell