The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-26-2001, 01:50 PM

Post warning acrylic nail enthusiasts

Didn't we have a thread about this? Maybe it was somewhere else. Anyway, I posted somewhere about how much I loved using them. I'd like to say now, if you see any discoloration under the acrylic nail that looks greenish or whitish or just odd in any way, take off the acrylic overlay and GO IMMEDIATELY to a trained nail technician for advice.

I saw a greenish spot on the ring finger, looking down on my right hand it is on the right side of the nail. So I took off the acrylic and assumed air and sunlight would undo the problem. For two weeks it looked better. Then I began to notice an air bubble, which is now larger. The natural nail has separated from the nail bed along that side. Showed it to two nail techs, who said showing it to them when it was just a greenish area and putting medicine or bleach on it would have stopped this from happening. They advised me to cut the nail short and avoid using it and put bleach or anti-fungal medicine on it and It will grow out and I wont lose my whole nail. (Well thank goodness, but "cut it all off" means to me "cut off that finger" - I am really going to suffer over the next several months without that nail/finger.) At least it wasn't my index or middle finger, thats all I can say. Very bummed out over this.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:34 PM

Sounds like what you have is a nail fungus. I'ts a very common occurence whit acrylic nails. I see it all the time in the feet (I'm a DPM). Topical antifungals (ie 'Fungnail') may work, but don't be too diisapointed if they don't. You may have to see a Dermatologist of your GP for a course of oral antifungal medication if it doesn't clear up. Good luck!

James
Old 09-27-2001, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up

I've broken alot of nails over the years and it seems that they would brake at the worst possible times. The best cure that I've found for this problem Is Revlon's Nail Builders Calcium Gel. Two coats of this will last all week and nail polish remover take it right off. I've been using this product for about 6 months and still NO broken nails! This is after playing 3 to 4 sixty minute shows 6 days a week. This stuff is GREAT!
Old 09-28-2001, 01:07 PM

I tried acrylic nails once and didn't like the experience at all. They looked funny on a guy and they needed constant care from a manicurist.

I've since established my own little routine that works great for me. I simply apply nail glue (from a small bottle) just to the white ends of my nails (about 1/8 inch) and dip into clear acrylic powder, let dry, and file smooth. I haven't broken a nail in years, I get the sound and playability of acrylic nails, and no one can even notice they're there. The acrylic will chip and crack which is a pain, but that would be my nail cracking otherwise. With alittle patience I file and reapply as needed. The acrylic is only in contact with the ends and tips of my nails so there is no potential damage to the finger and it grows out fairly quickly.

I also use a nail cream (I forgot the name, put out by Hoof & Mane I think?) that my wife also started using and her nails no longer chip or crack. She swears by it and she doesn't play guitar.
Old 10-15-2001, 02:10 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Git-Tar Guy:
<STRONG>I've broken alot of nails over the years and it seems that they would brake at the worst possible times. The best cure that I've found for this problem Is Revlon's Nail Builders Calcium Gel. Two coats of this will last all week and nail polish remover take it right off. I've been using this product for about 6 months and still NO broken nails! This is after playing 3 to 4 sixty minute shows 6 days a week. This stuff is GREAT!</STRONG>
I went looking for this Revlon product and couldn't find it. The cosmetics people at the store said they believe it's been discontinued, and recommended a product of a similar name put out by Sally Hansen (sp?).

I put it on yesterday, and my nails are definitely stronger and thicker, likely due to the polymer compound in the stuff. My nails now have a clear glossy sheen to them. My concern is whether this product is ultimately beneficial or detrimental to my nails. I want them healthier, not weakened by coating them with this stuff.

If anyone has used this product or has any input regarding "nail health" as a result of using it, I'd appreciate the input!

Steve
Old 11-10-2001, 11:02 AM

Hi all,

I tried acrylic and didn't like the maintenance either.

I also won't use anything shiny as I don't like my nails to look effeminate

Revlon used to have Nail Wonder, but no longer and now I have the last 3 little bottles of a Jaffra nail product (geez!) Both products are a clear penetrating liquid that toughens nails and leaves aboslutely no trace.

If anyone knows of another of these types of solutions, please post it.

Have a great day.

-grm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell