The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Default Hunting down arrangement of Neil Gow's lament for his second wife, played by Clive C

Here is the vid, I saw sobell fanatic had a version on the internets, anyone have this arrangement handy?

Old 06-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi Hasbro,

I haven’t listened so I’m not sure what tuning Clive is in, but El McMeen has arrangements in drop D and cgdgad. Great tune! If these links are bad just go to sheet music plus and search under his name.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...music/21182617

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...music/21182072
Old 06-30-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Hasbro,

I haven’t listened so I’m not sure what tuning Clive is in, but El McMeen has arrangements in drop D and cgdgad. Great tune! If these links are bad just go to sheet music plus and search under his name.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...music/21182617

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...music/21182072

Thank you for the links. I know that the version above is in dadgad, working it out slowly by ear and sight, painfully slow
Old 06-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Listened for a minute. Think you have a double dropped D tuning (DADGBD). Given the tuning and how easy and slow of a piece you should be able to watch the video and figure out how he plays it pretty quickly. If you don't think you can then all the more reason to try.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-01-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Listened for a minute. Think you have a double dropped D tuning (DADGBD).
That video is DADGAD. At 1:13 (you should have listened beyond the minute ) you see him play a D on fret 5 of the 2nd string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Given the tuning and how easy and slow of a piece you should be able to watch the video and figure out how he plays it pretty quickly. If you don't think you can then all the more reason to try.
That would be my advice too. The video is very clear, it's a lot easier than most of Clive C's stuff, and youtube will slow it more if necessary.

Having said that, I think I'm going to have a crack at it myself, so if anyone too lazy (or just too inexperienced at this sort of thing) wants tab, pm me. (Might not be til tomorrow)
Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Here is the vid, I saw sobell fanatic had a version on the internets, anyone have this arrangement handy?

Check your email.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:02 AM

Wow thank you so much JonPR. Unbelievably nice folks around here.

I did get the first 30 seconds down but I had to use my ear could not rely on my eyes as the fingerings are deceiving on the video because he keeps his fingers so close to the strings, probably great technique.

I'll report back after I had a chance to digest this tab after work. Maybe make a little video myself and throw it up here as a follow-up
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Wow thank you so much JonPR. Unbelievably nice folks around here.
Hey, I only did it because I like the tune!

I'm an admirer of Mr Carroll too. My next project is his astonishing version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - which may take me rather longer. This guy makes a pretty good fist of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwf8VvytmiE
Old 11-02-2020, 07:19 PM

Default did you find Neil Gow's tab?

Did you ever find the iarrangement of Neil Gow's lament as played by Clive Carroll? Such a beautiful and mornful tune! Fell in love with the fiddle version and then the guitar as well. Thanks in advance!
Bill Newman
Old 11-03-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Did you ever find the iarrangement of Neil Gow's lament as played by Clive Carroll? Such a beautiful and mornful tune! Fell in love with the fiddle version and then the guitar as well. Thanks in advance!
Bill Newman
The "iarrangement"? Is the "i" intentional? If so, is that any different from what Clive Carroll is playing?

If not, and if you're happy with PDF format (normal notation and tab), I have his version transcribed - as you would know if you'd read the thread...

pm me with your email address, and I can send it.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:43 AM

Hi, "sobellfanatic" here.

As others have said, there are loads of arrangements of this traditional tune out there, many of the best for nylon guitar.

Clive is tremendously schooled and a phenomenal improviser on-the-fly, so no two live versions of his are ever the same. Accordingly, my version simply collates what I thought were the "best bits" from numerous versions I'd heard him play.

There's no published score from Clive that I know of but it's not at all difficult to work out. Use your ears. That's all I did. Like you say, fingers hover over the frets so listening is the key to deciding which notes are actually fretted. Ears are king!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

My favorite version of Neil Gow's lament connected to the link below. It is such a beautiful arrangement. I'd like to hear Clive play this arrangement, though the individual playing is a brilliant player.

If anyone has the tab in support of the version played below, let me know - . I recall buying the sheet music as indicated in the video, but it's in standard music notation not tab, and given he's moving around the neck a fair bit, the tab is a must.

This arrangement is on my "gotta transcribe" list. I started to get it on paper, but it's a complicated piece and I have not had time to work on it of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av1s...eature=related

enjoy,

Stuart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write