The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-03-2019, 05:28 PM

Default Lets See The McPherson Carbons

I have had RainSong and Blackbird and both were excellent they did not quite have the tone I was looking for. Tell me everything you know about the McPherson Sable and Touring. I watch a few videos and they were not that great, I am looking for an actual user review. Pics would be great too.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I believe Kramster has both the Sable and the Touring, and there are a few other McPherson owners here, but not as active with posting. I have played both (not an owner), and they are nice guitars. The Touring was comfortable, except for the short scale. Nice tone from a small guitar. The Sable felt solid (almost over-built), with a warm tone. Fit and finish on both were nice.

I played each for a relatively short time, so I really can't offer much besides the above. For comparison, I prefer the sound and feel of my Emerald X7 over the Touring, and the X20 over the Sable. Just putting that out for comparison sake and to offer another consideration.

Hope you get more response here, and good luck with the search.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm a recent McPherson Sable owner. Having own several CA and Rainsong's, to my ears, this guitar sounds most wood like. That's what I wanted and I'm happy.

YMMV

Ron
Old 06-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

I have an x20 and happened to play a McPherson today. Not sure of the model, but it seemed fairly small.

My first reaction is that it was physically heavy compared both to the emerald and to my wood guitars. I also thought the tone was pretty muted/soft. Nice enough but not as much presence as I expected.

My reaction was more “soft” than “woody”.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I have a sable, really like it and use it a lot for gigs when amplified.
Acoustically it is not a loud instrument, fine at home but playing with other acoustics you'll be drowned out.
The body is heavy, I guess it's something caused by the injection molding process, but the mass helps stability, so the thing rarely moves. The neck is very comfortable and the guitars very easy to play, the easiest action of my guitars and superb intonation all the way up the neck.
The tone is full and rounded , even through out the tonal spectrum. I've owned CA's and Rainsongs and something I like is the McPherson does not have the slightly metallic mid quack the others do. The tone is fundamental, no overtones, straight clean notes a little like a mahogany guitar.
It's very good for open tunings and the neck doesn't move when you tune into DADGAD or something similar.
I didn't like the pickup installed by McPherson , couldn't get a good tone with it. I had it removed and a Trance Amulet M installed, I can get a nice acoustic tone which is very acceptable for gigs etc.
With all the chat about Emeralds I have thought of buying an X30 to try a comparison but I don't want to buy it, like it, and then struggle with twelve frets to the neck. So the Sable is here to stay in my quiver, I've had 5 different carbon guitars over the years and it's my favorite so far.
Strangely it's the guitar I've received the most comments about it's tone and look when playing out, at the right gig I use some much nicer guitars and they don't get the comments the Mcpherson does, I guess it's the black stealthy look?
Old 06-03-2019, 07:49 PM

I purchased a McPherson carbon series touring model last fall from The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield MO. I originally went to acquire a Journey OF660. There was no comparison in sound, playability or workmanship between the China made Journey and the USA made McPherson. The cost was higher of course but did get a soft case and very nice hard case too. Mine has a limited edition “lost camo” finish job made famous with their Mathews bow line which I also am a loyal fan of.

I find the feel is very comparable to my Taylor 814ce so switching back and forth is seamless.

As a side note I made the mistake of playing some of their handcrafted wooden guitars and was in awe of the sounds from them. Have had serious GAS dreams since on how to pull off that purchase in the future.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:45 AM

I guess I have a 3 CF McPersons ...if you count a Kevin M prototype (that is also a fine guitar). The Sable does sound great and these newer ones don’t slide off your lap at all.. I think my honeycomb gold trim travel looks cool.
The pickups they come with don’t do them justice plugged in. But might depend on your set up.
And yes the wood McPhersons are really fine guitars... all the way up to $100,000.00... I was afraid to even touch that one at NAMM a few years ago...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I have two McPherson Touring honeycomb with the gold goodies. Unfortunately, I don't think anything short of actually playing the instrument can really help make a purchase decision. I have played a number of Rainsongs and like the sound and look and build quality - but I can't stand the neck and fretboard. Obviously, a lot of folks do like it. So clearly, if I had not played one first, I would have had to go by what others say - and been very dissatisfied when I would have gotten one.

We could all sing the praises of McPherson's carbon fiber offerings, but you might not take to these guitars at all for one reason or another. As for seeing pictures of these guitars, the internet is full of them.

So to me, the question is - if you are serious about buying, can you find an online dealer who has a return policy that works for you?

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM

Being a fan of Rainsong guitar I would agree the neck is not for all, works for me, but in the future if I decide to purchase another CF guitar it will be a Sable. McPherson is a quality build, much more care and precision goes into their guitar and the price reflects it. Not just another co. slapping fiber cloth into a mold, great innovation.
Only thing I wish they would consider is a shorter scale option on the Sable, that would push me over right now.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Being a fan of Rainsong guitar I would agree the neck is not for all, works for me, but in the future if I decide to purchase another CF guitar it will be a Sable. McPherson is a quality build, much more care and precision goes into their guitar and the price reflects it. Not just another co. slapping fiber cloth into a mold, great innovation.
Only thing I wish they would consider is a shorter scale option on the Sable, that would push me over right now.
A short scale Sable would be cool. I wonder if they are considering adding any options like that in the future.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I have two McPherson Touring honeycomb with the gold goodies.
You are a wild man... I think they look cool...even though I only have one .

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
You are a wild man... I think they look cool...even though I only have one .

Well, at least there is a reason why I am seeing double.

I would love to get a Sable, and Fret Central has at least one honeycomb/gold model in stock. However, those guitars are just to big for me to play comfortably. The Touring is perfect for me. The reason is that years ago, I broke my right wrist and lost more than half of that wrist rotation, making it difficult to handle larger guitars. I had a wood McPherson a few years ago and had to sell it for that reason. That is why I much prefer small body 00 and parlor guitars, the Touring, and the Cargo.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 06-06-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well, at least there is a reason why I am seeing double.
A most excellent reason.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber