The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-27-2019, 12:25 AM

Default Alhambra 4p vs 5p - old vs new models?

Hi I'm looking for either an Alhambra 4p or 5p and I want the that beautiful classical cedar top sound. But I get confused 2 things:

1) Is there a difference between buying an Alhambra 4-5p produced today vs produced 20-30 years ago?

2) How come some alhambra 4p or 5p sound like a Flamenco guitar while others sound like a classical guitar. Example in youtube video.

If i compare this youtube video to to the other. They sound completely different (acknowledging that the recording is not as good on one) but the one sounds flamenco the other classical how come?

Alhambra sounding flamenco and dirty (not my style)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFNy1hhjBo

Alhambra sounding nice and classical (Whaet I'm looking for)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFNy1hhjBo

I want to buy an old used alhambra 4P or 5P because it's cheaper but I'm not sure if the older ones are more flamenco like and it will be shipped since I can't travel the distance to try it. How can i know if it will sound classical or flamenco?

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-27-2019 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Fixed videos
Old 02-27-2019, 02:17 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Based on those two very different recordings of very different playing styles and very different types of music, I wouldn't even try to compare the instruments they're playing. If you can find an Alhambra that's in "like new" condition from 30 years ago, and it's cheaper than the brand new models today, that's probably a safe bet. But I'd never buy a guitar for more than a couple hundred dollars if I couldn't get a 100% money-back trial period, there are too many issues that need to be checked out in person (for me). That goes for both new and used. Sorry I don't have anything more useful than that to say, but good luck in your search. Hopefully you can get a few more replies here.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-16-2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 AM

I have no experience with Alhambra 4P and 5P. I do own a more recent 10P that sounds pure classical, not Flamenco at all. I bought mine over the internet, as no shops in my area carry the line. I am very happy with it, sounds wonderful and fits me well. Mine sounds like the Alhambras in the second video. YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
alhambra, classical, flamenco