The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-10-2001, 11:49 PM

What I'm refering to Mapletrees, is when I'm watching what I'm doing with my left hand, my right hand is picking the strings without me looking. Sometimes the right picking hand doesnt' want to go to the correct string. If I miss, it generally falls short. I know it has a lot to do with muscle memory and such, but I would like to find a good method for improving upon it.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:14 AM

Shea,

Flatpicking or fingerpicking? For flatpicking, I anchor my pinkie on the soundboard quite a bit. I use this as a reference so I know what string to pick on the difficult picking stuff. Many people will tell you this is not the correct way but it works for me.

For fingerpicking, learning how to plant will greatly improve your accuracy and tone. For a detail explanation on how to do this correctly, Scott Tenant's 'Pumping Nylon' books and videos have great exercises that will improve your fingerpicking.

GL
Old 11-11-2001, 01:01 PM

I'd like to expand on the importance of using a metronome to gradually pick up speed.

How slow is slow? Start with posing and no tempo, then go to the metronome set at 60 (or 40 even), playing one note, then SLOWLY moving the fingers to the next position while clicks two, three, and four go by. Repeat the cycle: PLAY, two three four PLAY two three four. Works great when you're stuck on a particular section, and it helps you relax the inevitable tensions that build in the arms and shoulders which inhibit clear and fast playing.

I'm a rank amateur, so I'll defer to the pros and the teachers in the forum. But, for me, a metronome is a cheap and invaluable tool to help build speed, accuracy, and reduce tension.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 11-11-2001, 11:29 PM

Smile

shea...

what are you doing when you have this problem?....as in...what type of playing?...

reading music?

lead playing?

alternating between rhythm and lead?

trying to play arpeggios (pick across the notes of a chord individually) with a pick?

some of the above?
all of the above?
other situations?

is it an often-experienced problem?

do you anchor your picking hand in any fashion like Gordon suggested? Pinky against face? Palm on bridge? Anything is legal...and if it works....well yahoo!

irregardless...

some of the better guitar music reading books address this topic with specific picking exercises....the Berklee series for one...the music reading books I suggested in a different post (the Mastering the Guitar series...in its Technique Studies book in particular...I can't get in my closet and dig around this evening or else I'll wake someone up...I'll peek in the morning and make sure I'm giving the right books...impaired brain and all)

but...in general...

got a problem you're having trouble solving?

solve a simpler but related problem first....

..and no... I'm not a mathematician...

...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Your problem is you want that darn pick to go to any string you tell it to (or in fingerstyle lets say your thumb...or the ring finger or whatever.......

well...simplify that problem (might as well make it musical as we can, too)...

oh...

before I forget to say it....

"Pedal tone", "pedal tone", "pedal tone"...seach that on the internet...you'll find tons of exercises...

but you can make your own...tons and tons of exercises....use major scales, major or minor pentatonic scales, blues scale, any of the modes....

ex) plain old C major scale....the notes CDEFGABC

the notes can be found here

x3xxxx - C

xx0xxx - D

xx2xxx - E

xx3xxx - F

xxx0xx - G

xxx2xx - A

xxxx0x - B

xxxx1x - C again (the octave)

again the basic problem is "want the pick to go to any string - and perhaps it too often doesn't"

simpler problem... Can you pick adjacent strings cleanly at will?...

another simpler problem ...Can you pick cleanly while skipping one string?

another simpler problem...Can you pick cleanly while skipping two strings...

you get the point...

try picking

CDCDCDCD....over and over..

the try picking

CDCE over and over...

then

CDCECF over and over

ready for the next string?...maybe you are...maybe you're not....who cares? master and move on....

maybe you decide on your own you should do

CCCD over and over first since the overpaid and incompetent instructor started you off with something too complicated...

maybe you next do

CCCDCECD over and over...

CCCDCECFCECD over and over....

brother can you spare a metronome?....

many people think using a metronome is going to make practicing things take forever...nothing could be further from the truth...

anyways..

next perhaps

CCCDCECFCGCFCECDCC over and over...

get it?

all the way up to

CCCDCECFCGCACBCwith the higher C.

you could vary this...

why not start with the high note?

how about only playing chord tones
ex) CC CE CG CC and back down?

etc.. etc.. etc..

ask ask ask if you don't follow...

any scale...starting from any point or string...

just don't muddle fuddle the exercise by trying to use a scale that's awkward for the fretting hand....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-12-2001, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the tips Mapletrees. I pick the closer strings cleanly without a problem. I just encounter problems sometimes when I have to jump 4 or 5 strings. I fall short sometimes and it makes it frustrating.

Shea
Old 11-14-2001, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up

:o
Mapletrees, To embed the smilies and
the like just click on the instant Graemlins
you want in the text or you can type the
text that will create the graemlins.
Smile face would be colon<no space>left parenthesis. Also make sure the Disable smilies in this post is NOT checked.
Thanks for the plethora of knowledge you
impart to Playing and Techniques. I am slowly
absorbing the theory and tips.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:17 PM

Smile

whoa....

let me try that again....

I think I can I think I can.....

solid color crochet bikinis

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell