The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-17-2018, 05:17 PM

Default VERY open ended audio interface question...

OK, so...

What, in your opinion, is the best 2 input/2 or 4 out audio interface for quality and features???

This would be used in conjunction with a control surface. At the moment only using one pair of monitors.

As always, thanks for the input!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:39 PM

Oh, and USB Type C is acceptable along with USB 2.0. Or 3 for that matter....
Old 10-17-2018, 05:46 PM

what can you afford? what are your recording plans? thunderbolt or just usb?

i would look into the following brands: focusrite, steinberg, presonus, universal audio, tascam and even behringer.

also join gearslutz.com, gearpage and tdpri. you can post your question there and get much more exposure.

check sweetwater, GC, musician's friend, and others as there are reviews that give you an idea of what is available.

don't depend upon the sound but youtube would give you somewhat of an idea of the different ones.

remember black friday/cyber monday is coming.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 10-17-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 PM

That is an excellent point.

Let's say that there is a pretty high ceiling on price, been saving for a bit for this stuff.

Will be used for everything from songwriting to demos to more polished stuff for social media and websites. Mostly for just me and guitar/virtual instruments, occasionally for other people I am collaborating with.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM

I have a focusrite 2i2 and, though I thought I might like more input channels, I've yet to have an occasion where I'd use them. I mostly use the features of the DAW than the interface.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:14 PM

I would say look at these:

Audient iD22 - really nice preamps & maybe the best converters of the bunch
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - best value
UAD Apollo Twin - added benefit of UAD plugin processing

From there is really depends on what's important to you & your workflow. Overall sound quality probably goes to the Audient. Best bang for buck goes to the Focusrite. More mixing power goes to the Apollo.

None of them are bad choices.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

I was looking into a RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-in/4-out AD/DA Converter.
Looks great on paper and seems to have loads of operational flexibility
Runs around 2 grand. If my current set up ever goes..........
For twice the price you can get a Antelope Audio’s Eclipse 384, but it does not have the DSP facilities

I currently use a (used) Apogee Rosetta 200 with fire wire card. They are a bit colored (really fat low end) which I like. They were the talk of the town when they first came out and are still given much praise. You can get them used for a few hundred bucks. A bit more will get you 8 channels of high end conversion on a Rosetta 800
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post

From there is really depends on what's important to you & your workflow. Overall sound quality probably goes to the Audient. Best bang for buck goes to the Focusrite. More mixing power goes to the Apollo.

I was definitely impressed by a lot of the things I have read about the Audient, I think I am actually leaning that way. I do like the UAD as well, the only downside is that I would need to buy a Thunderbolt 2 PCIe card. Unfortunately, it is the one I/O I don't have on my motherboard.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post

Actually, the twin duo does come in USB 3. The Solo is less expensive, I just need to research the difference between having one SHARC processor as opposed to two.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mniels View Post
Actually, the twin duo does come in USB 3. The Solo is less expensive, I just need to research the difference between having one SHARC processor as opposed to two.
More power for more plugins is basically the difference.

For me, the coolest feature the Apollo has is the Unison feature...where you can insert a plugin that changes the way the Apollo preamps work. I occasionally work at a studio that has an Apollo & I really like the Neve 88R Unison plugin. It really gets very "Neve-esque" when you push it.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 AM

The best? Moto, RME, Apollo. But its a moot point if the other parts of your recording/monitoring chain are not up to par.
Like putting retread tires on a Ferrari - you're still limited by the weakest part of the system.
What monitors do you have? Is the room acoustically balanced and treated?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-18-2018, 07:33 AM

I am very happy with my Behringer UHC404HD. 4 inputs. MIC/INT each one. I think I paid a whopping 99 bucks for it. I use it a with Ableton Live Lite 9. I have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors hooked up to it. Bought the pair used, paid even less than the interface. I normally use in-ears to record and the 404 has separate volume controls for the monitors and the headphones which is nice. I can turn the monitors 'off' so I dont get a feedback loop into my recording. My set up works good for what I use it for. I am looking to upgrade very soon to a true mixing board with USB interface. I need more inputs and tactile control surfaces. The mouse thing drives me nuts.

Last edited by Johnny K; 10-18-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Audio Interface

Are you using a PC or Mac?

If PC, in my opinion, RME has the best and most stable Windows drivers. I used to have driver issues with Universal Audio, but since switching to RME my setup is rock solid. RME has great quality converters and preamps as well.

As another poster mentioned, upgrading your audio interface will make the most difference if your mics, monitors, plugins and room are up to the same level. Recording technique and experience are huge factors too, not to mention learning how to properly use software effects/plugins such as reverb, compression, EQ and maximizing/limiting.

The learning process is a lot of fun though!

Good luck.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
I am very happy with my Behringer UHC404HD. 4 inputs. MIC/INT each one. I think I paid a whopping 99 bucks for it. I use it a with Ableton Live Lite 9. I have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors hooked up to it. Bought the pair used, paid even less than the interface. I normally use in-ears to record and the 404 has separate volume controls for the monitors and the headphones which is nice. I can turn the monitors 'off' so I dont get a feedback loop into my recording. My set up works good for what I use it for. I am looking to upgrade very soon to a true mixing board with USB interface. I need more inputs and tactile control surfaces. The mouse thing drives me nuts.
I was so pleased with my Behringer UMC 202HD I bought around 18 months ago that I recently bought the 4 channel UMC404HD.

I also have a RME Babyface so I know what a quality USB interface is like.
But for day to day use the UMC404HD suits me better due to more inputs, tidier desk space (I don't like the Babyface spaghetti wiring), and a louder headphone output. I'll keep the Babyface as it sounds and performs very well and I may add another 8 channels via the ADAT interface.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-21-2018, 10:52 PM

Cool Focusrite Scarlet Series

¿ Are you using midi hardware ( Midi synth/drum machine - MFX modules et cetera ) at all ?

If not then the Focusrite Solo - 2i2 , & 2i4 , especially the 2i4 are really nice - the 2nd. Gen units are what to get .
They are reasonably priced with a good warranty .

I have midi time code needs to address in my BeatBuddy , T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3X and other midi controlled
hardware including my Roland GR33 guitar synth module so I got a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

The added midi ports ( in/out) on the 6i6 addresses my needs and the double headphone jacks are really great
to have on hand . Two line inputs in the read panel - 4 assignable 1/4 outs - SPDIF , it's cool .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD