The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-24-2018, 05:38 AM

Default Field recorder with simultaneous mic and line-in r

What's the best, or at least best under $500, handheld recorder with the ability to record from both it's own mics and a line-in at the same time?
Maybe something like the Zoom H5. Can it record both at once? Are there better options?

Last edited by jacm81; 09-24-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:40 AM

I just sold my Tascam DR-40. It was basically a 4-track recorder (two of the mics were built in). It did what you are wanting to do. I would do this, and then download the tracks into Reaper. One channel would be used for the built-in mics, and then I'd mix the two separate mics other mics on their own channels. I had some pretty good results.

The only thing to keep in mind is that whenever you are using 4 mics instead of two, you use up twice the amount of hard disk space, so make sure you get a sizable SD card.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

The Zoom H5 or H6 are great and come in under your price range. I have had a H6 for a number of years and it works great. It has four inputs that accept XLR or 1/4", and also comes with two mics setup in XY that attach to the front. All of these can be recorded at the same time. I think the H5 is similar but only includes two mic/line inputs.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacm81 View Post
What's the best, or at least best under $500, handheld recorder with the ability to record from both it's own mics and a line-in at the same time?
Maybe something like the Zoom H5. Can it record both at once? Are there better options?
Hi jacm81

Have you seen the Zoom F4 module? It is NOT a hand held, but a small table-top model (can be mounted on a Tripod easily). It DOES NOT have internal mics.

Four channels which can receive either XLR/¼" (TRS) cables.

It's truly a field recorder, with knobs, inputs, meters, and an intuitive layout and operation. Not only operates for several hours on 8AA batteries, it can be powered by external batteries…

If I had it to do again, I'd own this. At $450.00 it's an awesome recorder…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 09-24-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:21 PM

I picked up a Zoom H6 a month or so back after ditching some of my "nicer" audio interfaces, realizing that I mainly just needed something to record demos, practices, and song ideas on quickly and easily, and have the option of plugging in a few microphones if needed. I am very impressed and wish I had gotten one sooner. It's fairly easy to use, has a long battery life, and sounds just fine. I would highly recommend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD