The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
…I think I recorded at a little too low of a level, so I had to adjust the gain in post a bit. As I'm trying to give an unfiltered representation of the guitar sound, I'm trying to limit any editing. Maybe some could offer opinions on what level of production changes the sound from real to engineered.
Hi Ryan

Nice job.

You appear to have had the exposure set on 'auto' so it was changing the exposure level at the beginning. It was actually fluctuating.

I always shoot video on Manual mode with the focus and exposure locked down to avoid the focus deciding to target something else, or the exposure deciding to fluctuate while shooting.

Sound? Thought is sounds very solid… Better than average for most of the YouTube guitar videos I see.

For me changing the sound from "Real" to "Engineered" involves compressing, or adding effects. Simply bringing the volume up to a solid level is not in a re-engineered category. Still qualifies as 'unfiltered sound' in my mind.

Could the sound be improved? Sure…with a film crew, and a $3000 mic, a mixer and a 'better' field recorder (your Zoom H4n is a solid recorder). The actual question is who would care?

Not likely a potential client.

And good-on-you for using iMovie! Simple editing certainly doesn't mean we need to throw $300 at Final Cut or monthly-fees for Premier. Those apps can/will do more, but they are in the same category as PhotoShop…STEEP learning curves when you move beyond simple editing. iMovie is a great option for editing video footage, and can handle 4K just fine.

Keep up the good work…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-28-2018, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks again Larry. You've been very supportive, and I appreciate it! Switching to manual focus was one of those things that everyone has said to do, and I just spaced on. I can tell the difference though, and hopefully next time I'll remember to set it up. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Default MUCH better since you changed mic'ing

The only thing you have left to do is change the lighting.

I have about 33 years in the TV business and the eyes are the windows into your soul. People watching videos want to look in others' eyes and that's impossible because your eyes are bathed in shadow. Your skin also has no real tone to it.

Those things are easily corrected with adding a light or two, pointed at you. You don't need an expensive light kit. You can probably get enough with a lamp or two pointed at you.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 09-28-2018, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks VTexan. Yep I need to get the lighting better. I’ll try another source nearby. A little exposure work would probably do wonders too.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks again Larry. You've been very supportive, and I appreciate it! Switching to manual focus was one of those things that everyone has said to do, and I just spaced on. I can tell the difference though, and hopefully next time I'll remember to set it up. Again, thanks for all the advice.
Hi Ryan

I was suggesting you switch to ALL MANUAL mode on the camera - and perhaps manual focus as well.

If you are shooting in shutter priority, the camera may just decide it needs less/more light and it immediately adjusts the aperture (which can over or underexpose the shot). This is what causes the light to increase/decrease just by your subject moving around a bit.

If the lights are providing steady light, there is no reason I cannot set the ISO as low as feasible, and the shutter at the right speed (1/50 for 24fps), and then adjust the aperture (f/stop) to get the exposure right. Lock it all down on a tripod and go!

I've gotten away with auto focus…especially if the person/subject is moving back/forth a lot and I've got an aperture under f/5.6-8. I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

I really like the look of what you've done.
It matches what I've encountered in luthier's shops all over the country. I think your lighting was fine as long as you are good with a 'this-is-what-it-looks-like' approach.

Even in iMovie you can adjust the color balance/temp of the skin tones. I'd suggest doing the best with what you have and learning to make it the best you can before considering sinking lots-o-bucks in lights or backgrounds etc.

I'm a portrait shooter who's been getting into video, and I've managed over the past 18 months to only spend about $250 on ancillary gear. And $150 of that was on supplemental gear for my iPhones so they can become my travel rig instead of carrying (literally) 40 pounds of camera gear onto planes.

Please keep posting your stuff!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi Stephen,

I thought the sound on the second video showed a definite improvement in sound. An SM-58 is not an ideal mic for an acoustic guitar, but it's way better than anything on a video recorder from my experience. Using the Zoom recorder is a great way to get excellent results.

You could eventually spring for a set of small diaphragm condenser mics so you could record in stereo. A set of Rode NT-5 mics sell for a little over $400, for example, so you don't have to spend $3K for a pair of super high quality studio mics, though they would sound even better, of course. And there are some Eastern European and Chinese small diaphragm mics that are not bad for even less money.

In the meantime, it seems to me that you made a big jump in audio quality there in the 2nd video! Well done!

- Glenn
Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Glenn. The Shure was the best that we already own - which are mainly used for casual events. I have been lusting over Rode mics for a while, and if I can work through some of my video production issues to where I think it’s worth it, I’ll take the plunge. I’ve heard people recommend the NT5 matched pair and the NT3 medium diaphragm for acoustics. I’m a little torn about which way to go.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:46 AM

Your video and sound quality was good enough to cause me to click the link and look at the guitars you are building. I would call that a success.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ryan…

This is a discussion group, not Guitar-a-pedia. It is designed and maintained to answer people's questions over and over and over. We are a front-porch not a library.
The quote above expresses a wonderful sentiment.

That said, both S. Kinnairds in this thread look and sound great!
Old 09-30-2018, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks gwlee7 and Trevor. The nice words mean a lot. Thanks for taking the time to watch the video.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Glenn. The Shure was the best that we already own - which are mainly used for casual events. I have been lusting over Rode mics for a while, and if I can work through some of my video production issues to where I think it’s worth it, I’ll take the plunge. I’ve heard people recommend the NT5 matched pair and the NT3 medium diaphragm for acoustics. I’m a little torn about which way to go.
Hi Ryan

The NT-3 would serve both as both guitar and speaking voice mic, whereas the NT-5 is pretty much a small instrument mic. When I'm shooting combo videos (both speaking and playing) I often boom in from overhead (just out of frame) which produces good results, and less clutter in the frame. It's more of a movie shooting technique.

There are a ton of great mics which are reasonably priced (well under $200) and produce solid results. In fact, some of the phantom powered full 1" aka 26mm diaphragm mics can be had for under $100 if you can live with a single polar pattern, or $150 for multi-pattern (Behringer B-1 and B-2 for instance). I was surprised how good these two particularly perform.

It would actually be good to lay hands (and try recordings) on mics before purchasing them because if you base your decision on our opinions, you might end up being disappointed.

Fran Guidry from this group has some great recording tips on his website for budget minded folk, and I hope someone can wade in and remind us what the URL is.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I thought it sounded very good (the 2nd version). Now I know why people are waiting on line for your guitars. Very nice full and even tone.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good advice Larry. I’m don’t have a budget to blow, so that’s a blessing in disguise. We’ll limp along with the mics we have or can borrow for a while. At the music store where we handle major repairs, there’s a audio engineer professor there. I might get him to offer advice on our rig. A Rode mic might have my name on it sometime...I have wanted to try audiobook narration. Maybe a dual purpose Christmas present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I thought it sounded very good (the 2nd version). Now I know why people are waiting on line for your guitars. Very nice full and even tone.
Thanks TB. We’re trying. We have always had confidence in our guitars’ sound in person, but it’s not easy getting them in the hands of everyone out there. Hopefully we’ll be able to build a decent introduction through these videos. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good advice Larry. I’m don’t have a budget to blow, so that’s a blessing in disguise. We’ll limp along with the mics we have or can borrow for a while. At the music store where we handle major repairs, there’s a audio engineer professor there. I might get him to offer advice on our rig. A Rode mic might have my name on it sometime...I have wanted to try audiobook narration. Maybe a dual purpose Christmas present.

Thanks TB. We’re trying. We have always had confidence in our guitars’ sound in person, but it’s not easy getting them in the hands of everyone out there. Hopefully we’ll be able to build a decent introduction through these videos. Thanks for the encouragement.
Hi Ryan

For narration, I'd use a full 1" diaphragm mic. It would be easier to adapt that to guitars than using an instrument mic on a narrator. For narration, I want all the frequency width, warmth, and fidelity I can muster.

For what it's worth, I match the mic to the 'job' and venue where it will be played.

I own two great large diaphragm mics (AKG-414 & Shure KSM-44), two mid-size diaphragm mics (Rode NT-3) and a matched pair of Peluso CEMC6 mics with interchangeable capsules.

If I have the luxury of time to experiment with 'clients' then I'll try a couple. If not, it becomes 'best-guess' time. If you forced me to a single choice, the AKG-414 would win…it is a tried and proven workhorse in the industry.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ryan

The NT-3 would serve both as both guitar and speaking voice mic, whereas the NT-5 is pretty much a small instrument mic. When I'm shooting combo videos (both speaking and playing) I often boom in from overhead (just out of frame) which produces good results, and less clutter in the frame. It's more of a movie shooting technique.

There are a ton of great mics which are reasonably priced (well under $200) and produce solid results. In fact, some of the phantom powered full 1" aka 26mm diaphragm mics can be had for under $100 if you can live with a single polar pattern, or $150 for multi-pattern (Behringer B-1 and B-2 for instance). I was surprised how good these two particularly perform.

It would actually be good to lay hands (and try recordings) on mics before purchasing them because if you base your decision on our opinions, you might end up being disappointed.

Fran Guidry from this group has some great recording tips on his website for budget minded folk, and I hope someone can wade in and remind us what the URL is.

Fran's website is a wealth of information for those who want to shoot "guitar videos" and end up with great audio in the process. Isn't that what it's all about?

Here's the link to Fran's Homebrewed Music website:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD