The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Carbon Fiber the Only Way to Fly

I disagree that CF is the only way to go for airline travel. I regularly travel with a Voyage-Air full size wood dred. It folds into a backpack and has always fit into the overhead bin. No worries about damage or gate checking. It’s a really good guitar, FULL size, takes seconds to fold out and play and is only about $550. I have two CF’s and would never consider bringing either of them on an airline.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
AC, do the Journey sound as good as they do on the youtubes? They sound super warm!
Yes they do. Similar to a cargo, lots of bass and warmth and full sounding minus the volume of a full size guitar.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I disagree that CF is the only way to go for airline travel. I regularly travel with a Voyage-Air full size wood dred. It folds into a backpack and has always fit into the overhead bin. No worries about damage or gate checking. It’s a really good guitar, FULL size, takes seconds to fold out and play and is only about $550. I have two CF’s and would never consider bringing either of them on an airline.
Agree, to this date, i still regret letting my VAD-1 go.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-29-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeproof View Post
Update: I purchased a SKB GS mini case for flight travels and will probably use the gig bag when traveling by car.

The case is not a perfect fit, but works. The X7's neck does not sit on the case's neck rest (about 1" higher). The strap button gets in the way so you have to push in on the underlying styrofoam in that area to soften it up to get the room needed. The X7's body is deeper which means you need to wear in the styrofoam a bit on the top part of the case. The body fits snuggly and the case will wear in just fine over time.
Are you referring to the new X7 from the latter part of 2018 or the previous generation? My understanding (from Emerald) is that the new one is about an inch wider and about an inch deeper, which is quite a difference. I'm picking up a used copy of the previous generation (smaller) X7 and may or may not ever want a hard-case, but good to know what the options are...

-Ray
Old 09-29-2018, 02:44 PM
Guest 928

Of all the guitars I've owned, the easiest to travel with were the body-less, stick guitars. The Yamaha was a particularly nice rendition of the stick--sounded good, played well, and was an easy travel companion. The problem was I'm a hugger--I like having a body in my arms so I can feel the music.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I really do not like carrying a hard shell case through an airport and the X7 solves the problem IMO.

As nice as the X7 sounds, one of the primary reasons that I have one is for traveling. The gig bag is very comfortable, fits nicely in most overheads and once it's there, I don't worry about it. I agree it's not indestructible, but have never had a problem.

Mitch
Old 09-29-2018, 11:50 PM

I travelled frequently with an X7 from about 2014-2016. At that point, during a trip from SFO > JFK > LHR > RKV > SEA > SFO where I was forced to gate-check the X7 three or four times, I decided that was enough. At that time, I bought a Journey OF420B (Sitka/Pau Ferro), and since then, I have never had to check a guitar. And the Journey sounds great. Frankly, with the additional depth provided by the Manzer Wedge, I don’t know if I get less volume from it than my Martin custom 000-15. I have never had any difficulty with the mechanism - the neck goes and and comes off easily, and tuning is quick. It really is a wonderful tool for folks who need to fly and don’t want to risk a guitar being handled by baggage handlers...
Old 09-30-2018, 05:03 AM

I flew last week Newark NJ to John Wayne CA and back with my CH-PA in a hard case. I bought early boarding and it was absolutely painless.

With the latest deconstruction of airplane ticket pricing, early boarding is not something reserved for high mileage reward travelers and first class. Along with the DOT ruling just about any guitar is airplane worthy these days:

https://cms.dot.gov/airconsumer/fina...al-instruments

I've also noticed that luggage claim has gotten much faster since people pay for what they check, and presumably check less stuff.

That said, a compact and light guitar in a sturdy case makes trekking through the airport and the fear of a gate check a lot easier to take. Trading off real guitar tone and feel against that, the CH-PA in a Gator Economy (light weight hard shell) 3/4 case is a great option.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-30-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Are you referring to the new X7 from the latter part of 2018 or the previous generation? My understanding (from Emerald) is that the new one is about an inch wider and about an inch deeper, which is quite a difference. I'm picking up a used copy of the previous generation (smaller) X7 and may or may not ever want a hard-case, but good to know what the options are...

-Ray
I am referring to the new 2018 Emerald X7.
Parker Niitefly M
Old 09-30-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
I really do not like carrying a hard shell case through an airport and the X7 solves the problem IMO.

As nice as the X7 sounds, one of the primary reasons that I have one is for traveling. The gig bag is very comfortable, fits nicely in most overheads and once it's there, I don't worry about it. I agree it's not indestructible, but have never had a problem.

Mitch
The flights I am on are typically very full and they are always trying to get people to gate check. If that happens with the guitar, I prefer to have the hardshell. I agree the gig bag is more comfortable and easy to tote around.
Parker Niitefly M
Old 09-30-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am referring to the new 2018 Emerald X7.
What I figured. I think the older one would be bouncing around in that case without custom making some additional padding...

Thanks,

-Ray
Old 09-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They do not have a HSC sized for an X7. Alistair briefly toyed with the idea of adding padding to the HSC for the X10. Kevin didn't bother with that idea and suggested the SKB for the GS mini instead.
I am contemplating asking them to let me see how bad the fit would be on the X10 case for the X7 I have on order. Anyone out there fortunate enough to have both able to take a photo of the new X7 in the X10 hard case? I don’t mind adding additional padding myself to get an Emerald hard case for it in addition to the gig bag.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 09-30-2018, 05:47 PM

the x10 hard case is about a foot longer on the neck side than the x7..so lots a room to pack stuff in there
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-30-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
the x10 hard case is about a foot longer on the neck side than the x7..so lots a room to pack stuff in there
Ahhh, I was afraid of that. Thanks.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 10-01-2018, 11:04 AM

I have x7 coco in the oven but needed a guitar for a trip to Korea for a month and got an OF660 three days ago.
My wife likes how cute it looks and I love the matte black classy tiny look! Surprisingly boomy base, specially G on low E string seems to resonate much boomier. Going from Martin GPC to OF, OF grows on you and in five minutes, you are just having a good time! I have played OF 3 to 5 hours every day and and GPC is just sleeping in her bed waitng. ( I wonder if I should cancel X7 and go with X20...)

If any issues come up during my month long trip, I will let you guys know.

Ps. Quality of material and workmanship with the wingnut-shaped tightening bolt mechanism could use an upgrade. Relatively quiet fingerpicked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber