The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-04-2018, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Good luck, Tim, though somehow I think you'll be just fine! Love the blue stone on this, very cool look. It'll be really nice to see in person!
Looking forward to meeting you Mike and showing you the goods in person.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Casper View Post
Nice work, Tim! The back inlays are unique. Well actually, they all are Gives the instruments a very personal feel.
Thanks Kenneth and welcome back to the forum and congrats on your recent retirement. I bet you are breathing a sigh of relief and enjoying life a whole lot more now, eh?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Tim, tell us you did NOT sand through, and that all came out well...?

Nope (phew) and life is good once again. We hope to share a few more pictures in the next day or so.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Tim and Mary came over and let me play the new Slim Slope Dred yesterday. Wow what a treat the guitar is stunning. First thing I notice when I held it was a perfect neck and setup. I am extremely picky about guitar necks and setups, always seem to change them with a new guitar. This was absolutely perfect, I have never played better and I have played a lot of guitars. The guitar was clear, articulate, and rang seemingly forever. Great sustain. Whomever buys this I’m sure will be more than pleased. I acquired one of Tim’s few Slim Slope Dreds several years ago. It’s basically the only guitar I play, nothing really in my stable can compete with it.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-06-2018, 10:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Glad you were able to let us have a little time with you, Steve! Thanks for hanging in there with us as we shared the details!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Thanks Kenneth and welcome back to the forum and congrats on your recent retirement. I bet you are breathing a sigh of relief and enjoying life a whole lot more now, eh?
Thanks Tim. Yes, I am very much enjoying my new and improved life! Looking forward to a whole lot more shop time Been enjoying catching up on a few of the threads here and seeing what you guys have been up to. Beautiful work as always.

Ken
Old 10-12-2018, 07:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sorry its been a while since we've last updated this thread. Here are some color coordinated side dots that turned out kind of cool IMO. Turquoise dots on the Choker:

... and Bloodwood dots on the Aquarius:

Plus matching dots on the ebony bridge pins:
Old 10-14-2018, 12:17 PM

Awesome stuff as usual Tim! Hope to see you in a couple!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

When the moon ...

is in the 7th house ...

and Jupiter is aligned with Mars ...
Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Tim, Tim, Tim... if you keep executing light-in-light sound port inlays so flawlessly, you'll just encourage Mary to think up even more difficult tasks.
Wow that's some nice work. Makes ME want (not to go and do likewise) but to think up something ridiculous for you to do!

Hahaha

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 10-17-2018, 05:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Makes ME want (not to go and do likewise) but to think up something ridiculous for you to do!

Hahaha

Steve
Bring it on brother We're always up to a challenge, within reason...
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Awesome stuff as usual Tim! Hope to see you in a couple!
Thanks Louie. Looking forward to catching up with you again. See you next week
Old 10-18-2018, 07:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

It seems like a shame to take a sander to a newly finished, nice shiny guitar but hey its just part of the process:

After dry sanding the final coat of finish with 600, 1000 and 1500 grit sand papers the final sanding course is done wet with 2000 grit. It gets a little sudsy as the sander works up a nice lather:

After the sanding is done then its off to the buffing wheels to buff the necks and bodies with four different grits of buffing compound:

Please don't call Marshal Dillon. I really don't rob trains or ride a horse:
Old 10-18-2018, 01:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Tim, Tim, Tim... if you keep executing light-in-light sound port inlays so flawlessly, you'll just encourage Mary to think up even more difficult tasks.
Wow that's some nice work. Makes ME want (not to go and do likewise) but to think up something ridiculous for you to do!

Hahaha

Steve
Thanks, Steve! I need you on my side because spec guitars are fun for me to slip in quirky challenges. I'll pretend you gave me permission to get more challenging!

I tend to find it harder to sleep when there is an upcoming guitar show. I awaken in the middle of the night and quickly draw what first comes to mind guitar speaking. Poor Tim wakes up to find the notes and drawings of the outer aesthetics sitting on his office desk.

Long ago one of our customers called and told us what he would like to see something particular on his custom built guitar. The customer said, "Mary will design it and you're an engineer so you can do it." So that's what I repeat to Tim any time I come up with a wacky design. In this case I wanted to blend light trim on light wood to be soft on the eye and to give the eye that desire to squint to note the spacey nature of the natural Olive wood peg head. As the wife of a luthier I try not to stretch Tim too far, but when it comes to this peg head I didn't want it to be book matched. I searched high and low to discover this piece of scrap from the only electric guitar Tim made for a customer. I think this peg head is perfect for the distant look of space age without screaming a 60's vibe.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

After the boxes are all nice and shiny its time to glue the bridges on. First we remove the .001" thick Friskit film, exposing the bare wood gluing surface. This is also a way for me to monitor the finial thickness of the finish on the top. The calipers show a measurement of .003" total thickness from which we subtract .001" for the Friskit film thickness and that leaves us with a final finish thickness of .002" on the Skeeter's top.

We repeat the same process on the Skinny Slope Dred and that reveals the same .002" final finish thickness. This final measurement process also confirms that my spray application techniques are remaining consistent from guitar to guitar.

After the glue dries overnight on the bridges and necks then its time to begin sanding fret boards. I draw registration marks on the surface of the fret board with a white pencil before sanding:

Then begin sanding with a precision ground steel sanding beam:

After a few standing strokes the white marks disappear from the high spots and white marks remain on the low spots revealing where more sanding needs to be done.

When all the beam sanding is done it looks like this but keep in mind that what you don't see is that I also sand the treble side of the FB dead flat but also sand a graduated relief from the center of the FB to the bass side of the fret board. That is where the mojo happens to provide the player the ultimate and lowest playing action possible:

Next up is fret installation using a portable fret pressing process and several brass fret cauls of multiple radii. I used to hammer the frets in but have recently switched over to the portable pressing process which provides far greater control and accuracy [for us]:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop