The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Repair advice please - pushed through jack socket

So, this happened where the jack socket used to come out on my Ibanez:

I've had similar problems repaired on another instrument in the past where a tech has put a plate over the damage. A friend has passed me a plastic 'football' Telecaster jack socket plate that should hopefully do the job. Is this something I should attempt myself? I'm reasonably adept at building CBGs & stomp boxes, but I've always been hesitant to attempt jobs on my 'proper' instruments.

If I do attempt it, should I be taking steps to reinforce the wood around the damage before fitting the jack socket plate? The wood seems solid enough, but there are one or two fine cracks visible around where the hole is.

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!

Last edited by PistolPete; 03-07-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: The pictures were *massive*
Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM

It would be best to glue(HHG or Titebond) a reinforcing patch on the inside, but access is difficult. If you think you can get to it, a cross grain patch about 2" long and less than 1/8" thick should do it. Thicker may be difficult to fit to the curve.
et al
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 PM

LOL I just fixed two of them not too long ago, by getting a jack plate. I didn't use the plastic oval ones, but the metal Gibson style plates. I used a piece of thin metal strip bent at the end, and double sided tape on it, to place reinforcement pieces on each corner where the new screws will go, and allow a thicker grab for the screws. It's IMPORTANT to drill a pilot hole before inserting new screws.

I think inserting a full size patch would be excessive and expensive, relative to the value of the instrument. But next time, REMOVE the guitar cable before placing the guitar on a stand or leaning it against an amp or whatever!
Old 03-07-2018, 06:14 PM

The tricky part of this repair is that the body is a laminate.

Very hard and time consuming to make a laminated hole look good again.

Accept that and the rest is easy, patch it, smooth it, play it

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-12-2018, 06:12 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice.

I got myself a square plate, after realising that the screw from the oval one was going to sit directly on the crack I was worried about. So I had to tidy up & enlarge the hole a little to make it fit, then, in light of what was said here, I glued a shim either side of the hole on the inside to reinforce the screws a little bit, drilled pilot holes and fitted the new plate.

I admit, it's not world-class-luthier stuff, but seems solid & should be good enough for a £350 Chinese jazz guitar I think.

Anyhow, here's my hole now:

Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Nice repair job. You’ll be the only one that knows the guitar didn’t come with the escutcheon.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Nice repair job. You’ll be the only one that knows the guitar didn’t come with the escutcheon.
Cheers There are a few giveaway marks in the finish from the impact but I'm certainly happy it's good enough for a 'working' guitar.

I had to look up 'escutcheon' - good word

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair