The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 AM

What a great video, informative and well-made.

The guitars look outrageously good - and that Manzer is one of the greatest creations I’ve ever seen...true artistry.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Another great video.

Nice paintings, nice guitars and Michael's nearly erotic voice make for a fine combination.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you very much for that posting. I have not been able to see the exhibit and David has shown bits and pieces, but the chance to see all of the guitars as well as the paintings that they were each based on was very cool. I have to say, as much as I loved David's own art work on his top, Linda's structural guitar just blew me away.

Thank you Michael.
Thank you Tom, I'm so glad you enjoyed the video and even more glad that you found the project as inspiring as I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Thank you Michael, the video was great.
Thank you for watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
What a great video, informative and well-made.

The guitars look outrageously good - and that Manzer is one of the greatest creations I’ve ever seen...true artistry.
Thanks for watching! Each of these guitars is what I refer to as a "Career instrument" in that you could happily pump a lifetime's work into it without exhausting its boundaries. Linda's guitar... well, that's Linda... just a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Another great video.

Nice paintings, nice guitars and Michael's nearly erotic voice make for a fine combination.
Ha! Thank you Mao! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Music soothes the soul!

A fitting video to commemorate this exquisite set of artful guitars. No one could match the fine voice over work Michael. Thank you so very much for sharing it here.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Michael, listening to you narrate is so much cooler than reading....!!! Thanks for all the education on the 7 project... Well done
Old 09-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

All of the relentless promoting of this show that I've done ... and Michael nails it in one post. What a wonderful overview of the project and the original Group of Seven artists.

Thanks so much Michael!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
A fitting video to commemorate this exquisite set of artful guitars. No one could match the fine voice over work Michael. Thank you so very much for sharing it here.
You, sir, are very welcome indeed! Glad you enjoyed it and yes, the guitars are the stars here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Michael, listening to you narrate is so much cooler than reading....!!! Thanks for all the education on the 7 project... Well done
Hi Dave! I'm glad you think so! The video was inspired by the huge amount of love that went into the exhibition itself and I am so glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
All of the relentless promoting of this show that I've done ... and Michael nails it in one post. What a wonderful overview of the project and the original Group of Seven artists.

Thanks so much Michael!
Ah David... That guitar of yours... so elegant. I'm so glad you enjoyed the video. I've had messages from Linda and Tony too. I can only say that if there's anything else any of you guys need then let me know! I'd be only too happy to help.

All the best my friend and thank you, sincerely, for the inspiration.

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 09-15-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
I can only say that if there's anything else any of you guys need then let me know! I'd be only too happy to help.
Michael,

The icing on the cake here for your wonderful video review, would be a series of songs played by you on each individual instrument. As much as the guitars are visually stunning, their real beauty is in the sounds that they can produce. With your considerable playing talents, it would be very special to me if you were somehow given access to be able to record a suitable arrangement on each guitar.

Alas, this is unlikely to happen, accept in my minds eye ... sigh ... I am glad you were able to personally view this exhibit. I still draw inspiration and have fond memories every time I think back on my visits to the McMichael gallery to view this exhibit. The art work presented are scenes that I see every day, living and visiting in the areas where the Gof7 took their inspiration from.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Michael,

it would be very special to me if you were somehow given access to be able to record a suitable arrangement on each guitar.

Well yes, you and me both! Alas security at the Canadian embassy was on point so there was no chance of an impromptu playing session.

I would love to though...

Seriously, thank you for your kind words. I’m so glad you enjoyed the video and the exhibition.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Bumping this up, as I noticed the banner across from the National Gallery a couple days ago and had to go in and look - they are beautiful guitars, was very easy to get in to see them, and rested our tired feet sitting on a very comfy bench and watched the video.

Only thing they could add would be a pint and some chips! Very recommended!
Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

What an honor it was to be asked to present an overview of the Group of Seven Guitar Project at Tony McManus's 12th annual Guitar Summit in Elora, along with Linda Manzer! The reality of the presentation is that I was Vana White to Linda's Wheel of Fortune (which suited me just dandy) ... and she did her usual wonderful job talking about our journey through this great project!

This year's special guest (as if you need a guitar player any more special than Tony himself) was Ed Gerhard, who has been one of my favorite guitar players for a couple of decades now. If you ever get a chance to attend this intimate workshop ... jump at it ... what a wonderful learning environment!

The next day, Linda flew out to the U.K. where she'll be doing a presentation in London on this project ... hopefully we'll have some photos or video of her, as well as Michael Watts playing a few of the instruments!

Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Well ... Linda did her presentation last night in London, with Michael Watts playing a couple of the guitars (from the looks of this photo, Linda's and mine).

Maybe Michael will have time to add to this post and give us a rundown of how the night was?

Old 11-07-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post

Well ... Linda did her presentation last night in London, with Michael Watts playing a couple of the guitars (from the looks of this photo, Linda's and mine).

Maybe Michael will have time to add to this post and give us a rundown of how the night was?

Hello everyone, sorry I'm late!

Yes indeed, last night was the closing ceremony of the Group of Seven Guitar Project here in London and it was a huge honour and privilege to be asked to play at the event.

Linda gave a very beautiful and moving presentation about the project and the artists that inspired it and then I took the stage in my capacity as stunt guitarist for the evening. I started off on your guitar actually David and I have to say that it was a thrill to play one of your instruments again. The guitar is in fine voice despite being on show for so long and it was an extremely inspirational experience. Thank you for that my friend!

It was then time to approach Linda's astonishing Iceberg guitar inspired by the paintings of Lawren S. Harris which was as exhilarating as it was initially intimidating!

I managed to make this short video as we were getting ready for the event, I hope you guys enjoy it!

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Last edited by Michael Watts; 11-07-2018 at 01:30 PM. Reason: speelign
Old 11-07-2018, 02:32 PM

That Manzer is just outrageous...literal definition of a masterpiece.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
That Manzer is just outrageous...literal definition of a masterpiece.
Yes indeed! It was a joy to play. There's something very special about Linda's guitars, they're alive!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop